GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My predictions: In 5 years..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/02 at 18:17
Regular
I remember writing a topic on my predictions for the future just when the Dreamcast was launched. I saw the Dreamcast re-establishing the Sega brand, although in a limited number (about that of the N64), with Sony continuing to dominate the pack. Nintendo were to gain support after the fall of their gaming empire during the N64 years. Microsoft were no where to be seen.

Now here we are on the verge of the biggest console releases in many, many years, and I thought it was high time for a new prediction…

One thing that seems to becoming far more visible in the industry is that of convergence. The PS2 and Xbox both play DVD movies (although the latter needs an add-on to achieve this), and it has become standard practice to have consoles play audio CDs. On top of this, two out of the four consoles release in the last few years have had modems included, with the other two consoles to sport them as upgrades.

So, in the future expect even more convergence. One idea I have is that of the console replacing the VCR. As you may know, videotapes are on the way out, and you expect re-writable DVDs to take off as soon as the technology is cheap enough. And looking at the price of technology, it appears that DVD-R’s will begin to come in big time just as the next generation of consoles is coming out. Perhaps Sony will further their plans for the ultimate set-top box, sorry, I mean “home entertainment system” with the inclusion of such technology. After all, it’d come at a time when people were thinking about replacing their VCRs- and then they’d get a new console and DVD-R in one!

Another (more realistic!) idea is the inclusion of broadband adapters with consoles, rather than simple modems. Hopefully BT will have given us all high-speed broadband lines by the time the next generation of consoles comes out, and this would have huge implications for gaming. Online worlds, a host of online only games and international gaming competitions may all feature highly.

And so to my final prediction- the proportion of the market shared by the manufacturers. No longer would Sony have such an overwhelming lead- Microsoft would challenge that quite aggressively. Nintendo will retain it’s hardcore and young gamer following, with one notable edition- female gamers market that Miyamoto wants to introduce into gaming full time.

Sonic
Wed 13/02/02 at 18:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I remember writing a topic on my predictions for the future just when the Dreamcast was launched. I saw the Dreamcast re-establishing the Sega brand, although in a limited number (about that of the N64), with Sony continuing to dominate the pack. Nintendo were to gain support after the fall of their gaming empire during the N64 years. Microsoft were no where to be seen.

Now here we are on the verge of the biggest console releases in many, many years, and I thought it was high time for a new prediction…

One thing that seems to becoming far more visible in the industry is that of convergence. The PS2 and Xbox both play DVD movies (although the latter needs an add-on to achieve this), and it has become standard practice to have consoles play audio CDs. On top of this, two out of the four consoles release in the last few years have had modems included, with the other two consoles to sport them as upgrades.

So, in the future expect even more convergence. One idea I have is that of the console replacing the VCR. As you may know, videotapes are on the way out, and you expect re-writable DVDs to take off as soon as the technology is cheap enough. And looking at the price of technology, it appears that DVD-R’s will begin to come in big time just as the next generation of consoles is coming out. Perhaps Sony will further their plans for the ultimate set-top box, sorry, I mean “home entertainment system” with the inclusion of such technology. After all, it’d come at a time when people were thinking about replacing their VCRs- and then they’d get a new console and DVD-R in one!

Another (more realistic!) idea is the inclusion of broadband adapters with consoles, rather than simple modems. Hopefully BT will have given us all high-speed broadband lines by the time the next generation of consoles comes out, and this would have huge implications for gaming. Online worlds, a host of online only games and international gaming competitions may all feature highly.

And so to my final prediction- the proportion of the market shared by the manufacturers. No longer would Sony have such an overwhelming lead- Microsoft would challenge that quite aggressively. Nintendo will retain it’s hardcore and young gamer following, with one notable edition- female gamers market that Miyamoto wants to introduce into gaming full time.

Sonic
Wed 13/02/02 at 21:46
Regular
Thats the reason I got my PS2 - for the DVD player. The games are a bonus.
Wed 13/02/02 at 21:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Stryke wrote:
> Thats the reason I got my PS2 - for the DVD player. The games are a bonus.

I stupidly sold my DC to get a Ps2. If nothing else I could play films on it... and that's pretty much it! Now I'm waiting for enough money to buy a GC and maybe Xbox!

Sonic
Wed 13/02/02 at 22:00
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'd predict the following for 2007:

PS3 will have been out for 12 months in Europe and 24 months in the US/JAP. It will totally rule the US/Japan, because the broadband infrastructure for which the PS3 was primarily designed is already in place.

The PS3 will be doomed in Europe, where for the past 5 years people have been moaning about BT's national rollout program for the local loop, and still, in 2007, the 56k modem is being used by 45% of home PC users. However, it WILL be available in 'basic console' version which will sell quite well, but not as well as the...

X2, Microsofts updated version of the XBox. With an 80GB hard disc drive for downloading games from GameNetwork on Sky TV on demand, built in 14" LCD flat screen, handle for portability, backwards compatibility, plus the added feature that it will also run PC titles, the X2 will finally bridge the differences between consoles and PCs. Also, because Bill Gates bought out BSkyB in 2006, the X2 will come with a pre-programmed package of TV channels.

The PlayCube (Nintendo's Gamecube successor), will come out in the year 2009 after all the other consoles are already in place in the home, and it's main selling point is that it uses triangular cartridges to prevent software piracy. It will be brightly coloured in a range of primary shades, and will sell well during the Christmas holidays and Easter.
Thu 14/02/02 at 01:39
Regular
"smile, it's free"
A decent topic about the future of gaming, in the future of gameing forum?

It's been a while.

My predictions:

Nintendo go bust after the GC successor fails to sell well. They join the software market, along with SEGA. Atari, (currently owned by Hasbro interacive), make their name once again in the gaming world with a succession of unoriginal yet bestselling games.

Sony opt to call their next console the "Sonycenter" instead of the "PS4", as expected. 94% of PS3 owners are unaware it is made by the same company, and instead opt for the microsoft PS (Plagarisation Station).

And George W. Bush has his face carved on mount Rushmore, triggering a series of 'Planet of the Apes' Games.
Thu 14/02/02 at 07:49
Regular
===SONICRAV---> wrote:
>
I stupidly sold my DC to get a Ps2. If nothing else I
> could play films on it... and that's pretty much it! Now I'm waiting for enough
> money to buy a GC and maybe Xbox!

--

Stupidly? STUPIDLY? Everyone knows DCs aren't worth the polythene fibres they're made of? SURELY?
Thu 14/02/02 at 12:06
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I think those predictions are all very likely Sonic, but they may happen sooner than we think, due to Sony! It's true that VCR's are quickly becoming a thing of the past and that DVD's are the future, and i'm surprised that DVD-R's haven't been brought into practice already!

And maybe almost everyone will have cable connections in 10 years time, so that on-line gaming will be even more effective. But it'll definitley be more popular, and in 5 years I reckon we could see that over 50% of gamers play on-line! It's highly likely now that all 3 consoles apparently have plans for on-line gaming.

But what about new media?? Surely CD's won't last forever, and Nintendo are already experimenting with small DVD-discs. I think that Mini Discs will soon be a gaming feature, and are likely to appear if Sony bring out a hand-held. If you wanna see my idea of the 'GameBoy MD', go to the 'Game Ideas and Retro Games' forum.
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:01
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
OK, here's my predictions.

The world gets blown up in nuclear war.
No more consoles, PC's or anything.

The END

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.