GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Grandprix's F1 Preview"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/02/02 at 12:46
Regular
Well, the new Formula 1 season is fast approaching so the time is right to do a preview of the season.

Last season saw Michael Schumacher pretty much dominate the championship but what was more interesting was the battle to be second. Barrichello was poor at best with only flashes of brilliance coming through. Coulthard started the season good but faded leaving Ralf Schumacher and Montoya to rival the Ferraris. Montoya proved why he is so good by driving the wheels off the Williams and finishing the season with a flourish. So, what is in store for next season?

With the recent demise of Prost and the introduction of Toyota, the season begins with 11 teams. Let’s run through the teams and drivers.

Ferrari

The Ferrari will be the team to beat again this season. Michael Schumacher could make history again this season by becoming only the second ever 5 times World Champion. Barrichello will be driving a back up role again but has a lot to prove, especially in, what I think is, the best car this season.

McLaren

With Hakkinen gone, Coulthard is the main man at McLaren. I do believe that Raikkonen may show him up. Coulthard will need to put a whole season together and not just bits of a season. Raikkonen will only be expected to push Coulthard. I expect a maiden victory for Raikkonen this season. McLaren usually come out with a solid car and should challenge Ferrari.

Williams

This team should be the main challengers. Who knows which driver will be the contender, as both Ralf and Montoya are hugely talented. I’m predicting Montoya to beat Ralf. Let’s hope the car is more reliable than last year.

Sauber

This team were the surprise package last year. The car has been performing fairly well in practise so we will have to wait and see. Heidfeld should consider himself unlucky not to have picked up the McLaren drive and will want to show them what they have missed. A debut driver starts alongside Heidfeld. Felipe Massa is young and has been tipped as the next Ayrton Senna. Only time will time whether he is that good.

Jordan

They will be disappointed with their performance last year. The new car looks very promising though. They have gone with a complete driver change from last year. Fisichella has driven for Jordan before and will settle in quickly. He will want to beat his teammate. Sato is driving in his debut season and has already been tipped as the first ever Japanese World Champion. Again, we will have to wait and see.

BAR

Nothing much has changed. Dave Richards is running the team and will want to improve on what was a fairly uneventful season for them. They will want to beat Jordan. Villeneuve has a lot to prove and Panis has to race consistently as he is prone to slack races.

Renault

Now, I like the look of this team. They could be the dark horses this year. I could see a podium finish as a distinct possibility this season. Trulli is a great driver in qualifying and will want to get into races a bit more. Button has everything on the line and I think the car will be perfect for him to prove his critics wrong.

Jaguar

This team always seems to have problems. I can’t see them being solved. Irvine is nearing the end of his career and De La Rosa is hugely talented. Let’s hope the car does the job.

Arrows

They show flashes of speed but not enough in my opinion. Frentzen has lost his speed and it’s only a matter of time before he throws in the towel. Bernoldi is pretty unknown except for holding up Coulthard in Monaco. Everyone was furious at him but he was entitled to do it as it was a battle for position. I say good for him.

Minardi

I’m disappointed that they didn’t retain the services of Alonso. His talent is wasted as a test driver and any experience would have been invaluable to him. Alonso decided to test-drive the Renault and so Minardi signed F3000 driver Mark Webber. I saw a few of his races and he drove well. I know nothing about Yoong. Unimpressive when he joined at the end of last season. A bit of testing might have helped him.

Toyota

They have been vigorously testing for the last year or so and now they enter Formula 1. I think they will want to get a few points this season and build on it. Salo is a proven points scorer and McNish will relish the F1 experience.

So, that is the rundown of the teams and drivers. I think this season will be a close one in all areas. My prediction is that Michael Schumacher will become 5 times World Champion but he won’t have it all his own way. The midfield battle will be more intense then it has ever been and I don’t think we will see a really slow team this year.

Enjoy the new Formula 1 season everyone!

Thanks for reading.

Grandprix.
Wed 13/02/02 at 12:46
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Well, the new Formula 1 season is fast approaching so the time is right to do a preview of the season.

Last season saw Michael Schumacher pretty much dominate the championship but what was more interesting was the battle to be second. Barrichello was poor at best with only flashes of brilliance coming through. Coulthard started the season good but faded leaving Ralf Schumacher and Montoya to rival the Ferraris. Montoya proved why he is so good by driving the wheels off the Williams and finishing the season with a flourish. So, what is in store for next season?

With the recent demise of Prost and the introduction of Toyota, the season begins with 11 teams. Let’s run through the teams and drivers.

Ferrari

The Ferrari will be the team to beat again this season. Michael Schumacher could make history again this season by becoming only the second ever 5 times World Champion. Barrichello will be driving a back up role again but has a lot to prove, especially in, what I think is, the best car this season.

McLaren

With Hakkinen gone, Coulthard is the main man at McLaren. I do believe that Raikkonen may show him up. Coulthard will need to put a whole season together and not just bits of a season. Raikkonen will only be expected to push Coulthard. I expect a maiden victory for Raikkonen this season. McLaren usually come out with a solid car and should challenge Ferrari.

Williams

This team should be the main challengers. Who knows which driver will be the contender, as both Ralf and Montoya are hugely talented. I’m predicting Montoya to beat Ralf. Let’s hope the car is more reliable than last year.

Sauber

This team were the surprise package last year. The car has been performing fairly well in practise so we will have to wait and see. Heidfeld should consider himself unlucky not to have picked up the McLaren drive and will want to show them what they have missed. A debut driver starts alongside Heidfeld. Felipe Massa is young and has been tipped as the next Ayrton Senna. Only time will time whether he is that good.

Jordan

They will be disappointed with their performance last year. The new car looks very promising though. They have gone with a complete driver change from last year. Fisichella has driven for Jordan before and will settle in quickly. He will want to beat his teammate. Sato is driving in his debut season and has already been tipped as the first ever Japanese World Champion. Again, we will have to wait and see.

BAR

Nothing much has changed. Dave Richards is running the team and will want to improve on what was a fairly uneventful season for them. They will want to beat Jordan. Villeneuve has a lot to prove and Panis has to race consistently as he is prone to slack races.

Renault

Now, I like the look of this team. They could be the dark horses this year. I could see a podium finish as a distinct possibility this season. Trulli is a great driver in qualifying and will want to get into races a bit more. Button has everything on the line and I think the car will be perfect for him to prove his critics wrong.

Jaguar

This team always seems to have problems. I can’t see them being solved. Irvine is nearing the end of his career and De La Rosa is hugely talented. Let’s hope the car does the job.

Arrows

They show flashes of speed but not enough in my opinion. Frentzen has lost his speed and it’s only a matter of time before he throws in the towel. Bernoldi is pretty unknown except for holding up Coulthard in Monaco. Everyone was furious at him but he was entitled to do it as it was a battle for position. I say good for him.

Minardi

I’m disappointed that they didn’t retain the services of Alonso. His talent is wasted as a test driver and any experience would have been invaluable to him. Alonso decided to test-drive the Renault and so Minardi signed F3000 driver Mark Webber. I saw a few of his races and he drove well. I know nothing about Yoong. Unimpressive when he joined at the end of last season. A bit of testing might have helped him.

Toyota

They have been vigorously testing for the last year or so and now they enter Formula 1. I think they will want to get a few points this season and build on it. Salo is a proven points scorer and McNish will relish the F1 experience.

So, that is the rundown of the teams and drivers. I think this season will be a close one in all areas. My prediction is that Michael Schumacher will become 5 times World Champion but he won’t have it all his own way. The midfield battle will be more intense then it has ever been and I don’t think we will see a really slow team this year.

Enjoy the new Formula 1 season everyone!

Thanks for reading.

Grandprix.
Wed 13/02/02 at 12:48
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Tis a pity about Frentzen, he was one of the best.
Wed 13/02/02 at 13:52
"possibly impossible"
It will be an interesting year again. Newcomers always take time to get started, both the drivers and the teams, but I have high hopes for Toyota. They wouldn't enter F1 unless they felt able to compete. Should be an interesting start for the new boys.

I think that Williams will continue to do well, much better than last year in fact. We shall see whether Montoya can improve on last year's successes.

Good review there, ol chap. I'm looking forward to the racing.
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:48
Regular
"Where's SR?"
I think Fisichella could have a chance of a few podiums and possibly a win. If Jordan can regain their 98-99 form and if Honda produce a decent engine a win is definitely a possibility. His been in race winning postions when he was last driving for Jordan and during his time at Benneton. Sato will do well to keep up with him in his debut year.

BAR could stuggle this year allowing Villeneuve to leave mid-season causing chaos among the teams.

Barrichello will have a lot to prove if he wants to remain at Ferrari. Heidfeld, Massa, Sato, Webber, Fisichella, Trulli, Button and even Ralf Schumacher will probably all be under observation by Ferrari as a possible long term replacement for Michael.
Wed 13/02/02 at 23:00
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think this could be the most open season yet or we could see Michael Schumacher walk it again. There certainly seems to be a lot more potential race winners.
Thu 14/02/02 at 12:50
Regular
Good preview there GP! My thoughts:

Ferrari have a super quick car this year. Schumacher has already knocked a whole second off the lap record at Maranello during testing. However, Ferrari are concerned about the reliability of the car, and so may enter last years car into the first fly-away races.

I'd certainly like to see Ron Dennis' face if Ferrari beat them in last years car! Ferrari will win the constructers championship, in my view.

Williams and McLaren may help Schumacher take his fifth world championship. I suspect that they may end up taking points away from each other this season, as they did last year, so that no one other driver can challenge MS.

If anyone can challenge MS, it'll be Montoya, I feel that he is far superior to Ralfy-boy, who will have to prove himself this year so he doesn't lose out to Button's return in the 2003 season.

I hope Jordan do better, but fear that they won't. I'd like to see Sauber do well, but they have lost some sponshership over the winter. The reduced cash flow may obstruct their development during the season.

Jaguar have to prove themselves this year, as do BAR. Both teams have had a number of season to "settle in", as it were, and both have huge budgets - and no excuses for lack of results.

Arrows will take up their customary positions towards the rear of the field., along with Minardi and Toyota.

Toyota themselves have said that they expect to be on the back row for pretty mcuh the whole season. Another team with a big budget, so I don't expect to see them at the back next year.

All in all I predict Schuey to win the title, with Montoya being his nearest challenger, how near is what I'm looking forward to seeing...
Thu 14/02/02 at 18:36
Regular
I didn't know Hakkinen has gone has he retired or somthing or gone to another team?
Thu 14/02/02 at 20:59
hakkinen's gone on a years sabatical or whatever they were calling it.

montoya in my view as long as he has the reliability and the car can stand up to actually being driven on the edge then he'll be the strongest contender to MS seeing as now he's got knowledge of the tracks and how the F1 car handles. the one guy apart from MS who actually drives to overtake people no matter how hard the move.

coulthard is over rated in my opinion and will never win the championship seeing as how he hasn't got the killer edge. we would never see him do a montoya at brazil over MS because coulthard would have just let off and he also seems to have the just pass me mentality.

renault may surprise like sauber did last year. trulli just needs to convert qualifying form into race form as well.

MS will probably win it again this season but he actually has some decent competition this year. however he is not the greatest as most people like to say he is i.e james up MS's a** Allen. that honour will always go to Senna plus the fact i think Prost, Fangio, Montoya, Mansell sometimes and quite a few others were/are better than him but seeing as how the cars change over the years you can't really compare that much
Fri 15/02/02 at 16:27
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Cheers for the comments everyone. I'm glad you liked it.
Tue 19/02/02 at 12:37
I've just unearthed this post, a pretty good preview of the season to come I think.... But for the record I think Frentzen was never any good outside of a Williams, and Montoya should put up a good fight as he is the only one with any real gumption to take Michael Schumacher on.

Spot on about Coulthard though, he needs to put together a whole season, then he stands a good chance, he can race against MS head to head, but for some reason, is not fired up enough to do this at every single race meet.

Remember the time when Schumacher & Coulthard traded hand gestures whilst racing? Pure passion and driving class... More of that please Coulthard ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.