GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Could games become too realistic?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/12/02 at 21:44
Regular
With today’s society, graphics need to be improved to please the little people that put graphics over gameplay. But, along with the graphics, I feel that games are actually getting better and more realistic. But will games ever become too realistic and get boring?

Pro Evolution Soccer 2 is great; it almost feels real as well as looking real. But I think Konami are trying a little too hard to make the next release in the series realistic, rather than more enjoyable to play. The game is so enjoyable to play, although thinking about it, the matches don’t actually vary that much. If Konami try too hard to make it realistic, I think that the game could lose all that it has. Will we, apart from the hardcore gamers, really want to play a game that is almost identical to the game we could be playing down the park? I mean, we really do need to improve the England Team, and we aren’t going to be able to do that by sitting on the couch and playing computer games are we?

But there are many genres of games, to me, that will never be too real. First person Shooters can never be too realistic. After all, I don’t think that there will be a console in my life that will be able to re-enact the surroundings of a war. Vibration functions, graphics and surround sound all help add to the feeling of this genre, but they can’t make it feel like real-life. But, the games may get to a peak where they can’t be improved any more. If a game is released that feels so real, only someone that has been in the war will be able to say otherwise.

Games like Grand Theft Auto 3 were seen to be influential, but you’ve got to have a screw loose to think that the game was real. Although The Getaway has overcome a few of the gaps that the GTA series had of not being realistic, The Getaway is still unbelievable. After all, how many people go around with guns in London and don’t get caught within 5 minutes? All right, quite a few, but that’s not my point. The game can also never be too realistic, because you would never get away with it in real life. And if you did, then the game wouldn’t be fun. If you needed healing, there are no health packs lying around and you can’t stand against a wall to become fully recovered.

Although not only are graphics helping the realism along, the new X-Box visor thingy also adds to the realism, although only slightly. This allows people to talk to each other whilst playing games. So if you are playing a war-simulator, you can talk to each other whilst trying to take over a certain piece of the landscape, like a trench or something. This can add to the games realism, but not much seeing as people would be shouting as they try and attack the enemy. Unless you’re a freak, or a drama queen, I can’t see this being done by anyone.

The Tony Hawks series is very unrealistic, seeing as no skater can get air as big as they do on the games. But this is what makes the games fun. I think that with Tony’s new release, they have tried to make it more realistic by reducing the amount of places that you can actually get this amount of air. But this why the game has got some not so good reviews. It’s a game; it’s not real life. If we wanted the games to be real, we’d go and skate, or at least try. I have never seen anyone string together kick-flips, Japan airs and 900s in one move, but this is why the game is so good to play. No one is every going to become as good as the skaters are on the game, apart from Rodney Mullen. If God could skate, he’d be Rodney Mullen. Fact.

Getting to the end of my rant, and I just wanted to ask for your views on the matter. Do you think games could become too realistic?

Thanks for reading,
Benny Bish.
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:33
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
YOU really are a paranoid idiot arnt you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Black pepper?"
Quinty wrote:
> ( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
> Thanks SR, trully grateful.
>
> So you should be the amount of times i've caught you copying reviews.

CHEAT!!!

SR give me the game instead, you know you want to.
Thu 19/12/02 at 18:59
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Quinty wrote:
> ( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:
>
> So you should be the amount of times i've caught you copying reviews.

Eh? One time i wrote what it said on the back of the TimeSplitters case when i was starting my review, but all my other reviews have been written by me. And i've only done 13 or something, someone that copies reviews posts about 5 a day.
Thu 19/12/02 at 18:37
Regular
Ev][L~Dark wrote:
> Well, What we don't know is in-game Physics improving to realistic
> perfection?
Yes that is probably possible
Thu 19/12/02 at 18:36
Regular
( . )Juicy Melons( . ) wrote:

So you should be the amount of times i've caught you copying reviews.
Thu 19/12/02 at 18:29
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Thanks SR, trully grateful.
Thu 19/12/02 at 17:10
That was a bloody good post mate!

Oh and the 'Xbox Visor thingy' is called the 'Xbox Communicator'. And hell, I scream when I lose a game of Unreal Championship - wouldn't you if you lost by one kill, and I don't class myself as a drama queen or a freak! So ner!

But anyway - great post! We need more stuff like this than stupid irrelevant posts!
Wed 18/12/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Black pepper?"
I like games to be really realistic, but like you said Pro Evo goes over the top. Thats why I stick to the TIF and FIFA seris, I've got PES2 I love it but, when you're shooting it's like an amateur say like Dennis Wise shooting. They need to sort this out in their next game.

Nice post.
Wed 18/12/02 at 09:46
Regular
Games could never have the same graphics as real life that is impossible. But they could become more realistic.
Wed 18/12/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Now thats a brilliant post m8, and heres my reaction :) k, its taking me time to think of a reply... anyway.

You have games like, Fifa 2003 and Flight sim and these kinda games have a aim to be become 'real'. Although there are many games out there not are not and majority of people that love to see become more and more realistic is higher then you think. Think about it, Its the games that are game in real life e.g Football and F1 racing that devoplers want to come close too and every year they attempt to make a game to become much more like it is in real life to the full of gaming experience

EA games do take the step futher to become more real like making the movement of a person in the game just like they do it, They make it so every inch is picture perfect by wiring up the person and onto a screen.

But by understanding that events in real life that take place all they want to do is make it so you are in control of it and making it realistic is a great way and every time a new console comes out they are allowed to advance futher in that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.