GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Power Is everything!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 15:45
Regular
Currently we are in the most important stage of our console evolution.
As every year passes consoles are becoming more and more powerful.
So as consoles become more powerful the games become even better.

When making games the developers try to make use of every last inch of power that’s available.
You need every last bit if you want to make the game successful.
Of course not everybody will be able to use the consoles full power but some developers such as rare have come pretty damn close to it.

Every console has it’s own graphics processor
Most developers try to use as much of its power as possible.
The more powerful the processor the better the chance of non-Pop-Up graphics.

Pop-Up graphics is a thing, which has plagued many developers for years.
Thanks to modern technology though it looks as if Pop-Up graphics will be a thing of the past.
In fact it’s already pretty much in the past.
These days though if the developers are having difficulty getting rid of small bits of Pop-Up Fogging is used.
Fogging is a technique used when developer cannot get rid of Pop-Up and is very cleverly put in place of the Pop-Up.
In other words fogging covers up Pop-Up graphics.
It may be cheating but it’s really handy, because you can blend it in with the scenery to make it look like fog.
Hence the name fogging.

The devices that are used to store game data (I.e. CD’s) also make a huge difference when trying to squeeze as much power out of the console as possible.
Why?

Because if for example you are making a game for the N64 the Cartridge can only store a certain amount of data therefor drastically decreasing the performance of the game.
CD’s however prove to cope best with modern day data.
So with discs you can store a lot more data than you can with carts, that’s why most console developers these days opt for CD’s.

These days we take our flash consoles for granted. We want power we want loads of games with great Gameplay and of course Internet capabilities.
Of course if we lived 20 or so years ago then this couldn’t have been possible.
Just goes to show how much we have come on in the gaming world.
Just think, it all started of when a guy in a lab messing about with room size computers created a crude two-player tennis style game.
Now we have consoles that run at speeds of up to 700MHZ and Gameplay that will blow you away.

Gaming is always something we have taken for granted.
So what would the world be like without video games?
Well I’d imagine it’d be a pretty boring place.
I don’t think we could live without them.
We shouldn’t take the consoles and their power for granted either.

Thankfully though we have all these great consoles and we have the Internet on wh9ich we can play brilliant games such as Netsorm and we also have very very good games.

Fair enough consoles may not be the ‘B’ all and end all of our society but we spend quite a lot of our free time playing on them.
God knows why but there are a lot of people that have devoted their lives to making and producing consoles and games.

For more experienced developers like Sony making games and consoles is a wash over.
They’ve just about grasped how to get as much power as they can from a console and so have Rare.
Rare proved this by making the very well known; very well made N64 game called Perfect Dark.
This was a game like no other.
It used almost every list bit of the N64’s awesome power.
Although it wasn’t great without the Expansion Pak it was great with it.
The visuals are the most stunning visuals you will ever see in an N64 game.
What’s an expansion Pak?

The expansion Pak is a device that boosts the memory capacity and at the same time enhances the graphic processing capabilities.
This is something you must have if you want to see just how powerful the N64 really is.

These days though you don’t need expansion Paks to enhance graphical capabilities and provide a memory boost because the consoles are sooo powerful that they don’t need it.
Why?
Because we have progressed enough so as not too need any fancy gadgets like the expansion Pak.
In place of them we have things like modems and built in Dvd’s to enhance our playing experience.
All very well but do we really need them?

Yeah we do because if we don’t have these things we would get bored playing games normally all the time.
Fair enough there are some great games around, but face it without the Internet or Company’s like Sony we’d be at a complete loss with our beloved video games.

What lurks ahead is unexplored territories.
It will all be new to us.
We’ll be aiming to explore strange new consoles, seek out new developers
And to boldly go where no man/woman and his/her consoles have gone before.

THE END!!

Thanks for reading!
Tue 12/02/02 at 15:45
"I hate that!!!"
Currently we are in the most important stage of our console evolution.
As every year passes consoles are becoming more and more powerful.
So as consoles become more powerful the games become even better.

When making games the developers try to make use of every last inch of power that’s available.
You need every last bit if you want to make the game successful.
Of course not everybody will be able to use the consoles full power but some developers such as rare have come pretty damn close to it.

Every console has it’s own graphics processor
Most developers try to use as much of its power as possible.
The more powerful the processor the better the chance of non-Pop-Up graphics.

Pop-Up graphics is a thing, which has plagued many developers for years.
Thanks to modern technology though it looks as if Pop-Up graphics will be a thing of the past.
In fact it’s already pretty much in the past.
These days though if the developers are having difficulty getting rid of small bits of Pop-Up Fogging is used.
Fogging is a technique used when developer cannot get rid of Pop-Up and is very cleverly put in place of the Pop-Up.
In other words fogging covers up Pop-Up graphics.
It may be cheating but it’s really handy, because you can blend it in with the scenery to make it look like fog.
Hence the name fogging.

The devices that are used to store game data (I.e. CD’s) also make a huge difference when trying to squeeze as much power out of the console as possible.
Why?

Because if for example you are making a game for the N64 the Cartridge can only store a certain amount of data therefor drastically decreasing the performance of the game.
CD’s however prove to cope best with modern day data.
So with discs you can store a lot more data than you can with carts, that’s why most console developers these days opt for CD’s.

These days we take our flash consoles for granted. We want power we want loads of games with great Gameplay and of course Internet capabilities.
Of course if we lived 20 or so years ago then this couldn’t have been possible.
Just goes to show how much we have come on in the gaming world.
Just think, it all started of when a guy in a lab messing about with room size computers created a crude two-player tennis style game.
Now we have consoles that run at speeds of up to 700MHZ and Gameplay that will blow you away.

Gaming is always something we have taken for granted.
So what would the world be like without video games?
Well I’d imagine it’d be a pretty boring place.
I don’t think we could live without them.
We shouldn’t take the consoles and their power for granted either.

Thankfully though we have all these great consoles and we have the Internet on wh9ich we can play brilliant games such as Netsorm and we also have very very good games.

Fair enough consoles may not be the ‘B’ all and end all of our society but we spend quite a lot of our free time playing on them.
God knows why but there are a lot of people that have devoted their lives to making and producing consoles and games.

For more experienced developers like Sony making games and consoles is a wash over.
They’ve just about grasped how to get as much power as they can from a console and so have Rare.
Rare proved this by making the very well known; very well made N64 game called Perfect Dark.
This was a game like no other.
It used almost every list bit of the N64’s awesome power.
Although it wasn’t great without the Expansion Pak it was great with it.
The visuals are the most stunning visuals you will ever see in an N64 game.
What’s an expansion Pak?

The expansion Pak is a device that boosts the memory capacity and at the same time enhances the graphic processing capabilities.
This is something you must have if you want to see just how powerful the N64 really is.

These days though you don’t need expansion Paks to enhance graphical capabilities and provide a memory boost because the consoles are sooo powerful that they don’t need it.
Why?
Because we have progressed enough so as not too need any fancy gadgets like the expansion Pak.
In place of them we have things like modems and built in Dvd’s to enhance our playing experience.
All very well but do we really need them?

Yeah we do because if we don’t have these things we would get bored playing games normally all the time.
Fair enough there are some great games around, but face it without the Internet or Company’s like Sony we’d be at a complete loss with our beloved video games.

What lurks ahead is unexplored territories.
It will all be new to us.
We’ll be aiming to explore strange new consoles, seek out new developers
And to boldly go where no man/woman and his/her consoles have gone before.

THE END!!

Thanks for reading!
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:16
Regular
Is there a drum loop and some synthesized chords that go with this?
On Pop-Up I'd just like to state that I detest it with a passion, and that I hope it's days are numbered, especially on "serious" racers! That's all. Good post.
Tue 12/02/02 at 16:17
"I hate that!!!"
Yes I agree with you there Pop-Up can spoil a great racing game.

I'm glad you liked my post!
Wed 13/02/02 at 09:20
"I hate that!!!"
Pop!
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:43
Regular
great topic and great point!
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:44
"I hate that!!!"
No·² wrote:
> great topic and great point!

Thanks.
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Great post. Blatant attempt at GAD as well though. :)
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:48
"I hate that!!!"
Brew wrote:
> Great post. Blatant attempt at GAD as well though. :)

Thanks!

Just what do you mean by a blatant attempt though?
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:53
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Jus what I would do if was a little skint. ;)
Except I'd never winn coz I'm not good enough. :(
Wed 13/02/02 at 11:54
"I hate that!!!"
Brew wrote:
> Jus what I would do if was a little skint. ;)
Except I'd never winn coz I'm not
> good enough. :(

I'm sure if you kept trying eventually you'll win. Just like I did

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.