GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Are BT really insane?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 09:24
Regular
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/ 2000/dot_life/newsid_1814000/1814080.stm

(SPACES!)

As you can see, BT are really pushing this patent on the hyperlink, which expires in the US in 6 years. Are they crazy or what? Sure, it would be a major coo if they can win but I really doubt it. It would mean every US ISP would have to pay royalties to BT for every page they serve, this coud have a massive affect on the Internet as we know it. I'm not sure if you can enforce a patent once it has becom this widespread.

Furthermore, I've read the patent and it is VERY vague. In fact, it almost bears no resemblance (the link is on the BBC page).

This is going to severely damage BT's reputation with the Internet community on the whole, and it could have great repercussions for them if they lose, almost certainly pushing them even further into the red.
Tue 12/02/02 at 09:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/in_depth/sci_tech/ 2000/dot_life/newsid_1814000/1814080.stm

(SPACES!)

As you can see, BT are really pushing this patent on the hyperlink, which expires in the US in 6 years. Are they crazy or what? Sure, it would be a major coo if they can win but I really doubt it. It would mean every US ISP would have to pay royalties to BT for every page they serve, this coud have a massive affect on the Internet as we know it. I'm not sure if you can enforce a patent once it has becom this widespread.

Furthermore, I've read the patent and it is VERY vague. In fact, it almost bears no resemblance (the link is on the BBC page).

This is going to severely damage BT's reputation with the Internet community on the whole, and it could have great repercussions for them if they lose, almost certainly pushing them even further into the red.
Tue 12/02/02 at 12:50
Regular
How long will this case last, I wonder?

I hope BT win to be honest, the cash injection may mean that they can pull their finger out and sort things out over here properly.
Tue 12/02/02 at 12:53
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Your Honour wrote:
> How long will this case last, I wonder?

> I hope BT win to be honest, the cash injection may mean that they can pull their finger out and sort things out over here properly.

Do you understand the implications of this if BT do win?
Tue 12/02/02 at 12:56
Regular
Not really, no.
Tue 12/02/02 at 13:09
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Probably either:

a) Internet prices will rocket

b) You'll have to pay to see American sites

c) A large proportion of the Internet will crumble
Tue 12/02/02 at 13:10
Regular
Thing is, how much do you reckon they will have to pay BT?
Tue 12/02/02 at 13:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Knowing BT, a quite stupendous amount. It's totally up to them, but they do have a £6billion dept to recover...
Tue 12/02/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Tyla wrote:

> Do you understand the
> implications of this if BT do win?

I don't believe there are many implications. Lets assume for a moment BT win their case. They potentially have grounds to demand license fees from any US based citizen and/or business that has used hyperlinks. So in theory they have the option of killing thousands of american businesses with crippling demands, why bother? Given their links and interests over there they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot. Aside from anything else, they'd be considered to be acting against "public good" and stopped anyway I guess.

As I see it, the patent is worth alot of money without demanding license fees from people anyway. Or rather its potentially worth a lot. Its worth nothing without the legal precedent backing it, and this is what they are doing I guess. I mean look at who they are taking to court, prodigy internet, they are posting losses and if I remember correctly they aren't in great financial shape generally. If you wanna take a company for alot of money, one that might not be able to pay you isn't a good choice. But they might be a good target in that BT have a fair chance to force them into settling because prodigy might not be able to afford to lose.

I'd be surprised if the end result of BT winning is anything more than them ending up with shares in companies like prodigy. Anything else would seem to damage their own interests more than gain them something.

Btw, I dont have much faith in them winning anyway, I'm quite dubious of american justice where home vs foreign interests are concerned (not that I blame them for that attitude at all).

-G
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Incorrect, BT are going to demand license fees from the US ISPs, such as Prodigy, and they state "We are not in the business of making friends with American ISPs".
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:16
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Incorrect, BT are going to demand license fees from the US ISPs, such as
> Prodigy, and they state "We are not in the business of making friends with
> American ISPs".

Not gonna much of a court case if they say otherwise is there? They won't take people to court on the basis of oh we just feel like proving the patent is ours, theres no power in that if they win.

All I wrote is speculation of what I think their real intentions are, take it as you will. Disagree if you like, call it incorrect you cannot.

Have a nice night. :)

-G

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.