GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who remembers their first game they bought"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/02/02 at 16:36
Regular
now of course this is going back some for some of us!! But do any of you remember the first ever computer game you bought? Mine was on my great Amstrad and was Count Duckular!! I loved is so much. You had to go around jumping on bad guys heads while collecting jam sandwiches!!!
Tue 09/04/02 at 20:29
Regular
"Brrrrr."
Oh my goodness, that is a very hard question! Probally, F-16 fighting falcon.

Does anyone else have that game? It was really cool. I decided to get it after a mate downloaded a demo off the net. I kept going to his house to play it and i got hooked. We now have a force feed back joystick so it is really good (and shakey !) when you play. I havn't played it for about 2 years now though!

I am very annoying™
I am very annoying™
I am very annoying™
I am very annoying™
I am very annoying™
and so on...
Tue 09/04/02 at 12:39
Regular
"One Of A Kind"
I dont think i had one game i think it was quite a few for my spectrum (not sure what type though.)It use to take about 10 minutes to load the games as it was off casette tapes.

I think though if there was one it most have been super bombman or something like that where you bounced around the screen trying to collect bombs while dodging enemys and other things trying to kill you.

I ended up selling the specturm and using the money to buy a zapper for my nintendo which i wish i hadn't done now as i loved playing on all the games i had for it.
Sun 07/04/02 at 17:27
Regular
Oh man, this shows I'm the oldest here. Nuts! Oh well first game I bought was a compilation. I'd got my Sinclair ZX81 and had a programmed in a few listings and saved them but while looking through Your Computer magazine noticed an advert for 10 1k games by Michael Orwin for £3.80. Wow! So got my mother to do me a cheque and ordered it. There was a space invaders game, pacman, chess, a text adventure. It was the dawn of gaming and back then I actually enjoyed playing those games. All in 1k. 1k!!!!!!?!?!!??

On the flip side of the cassette there was 16k versions of some of the same games. However 16k was major computing memory back then. Would I ever be able to afford such a memory expansion? However the real dream was the news in Your Computer. Sinclair were bringing out a colour computer with sound that had a real keyboard with buttons that moved up and down. Wahey!

Other ZX81 gaming highlights were 3D Monster Maze. Could you escape the tyranasaurus rex down a 3D maze. Bloody scary at the time believe it or not. Then there was Psion's Flight Simulation. Looking back it was unbelievably boring but I just wouldn't leave that game alone until I'd successfully taken the jumbo up and landed it. Every key had a function.

Then sofware farm introduced their high resolution zx81 games.

Surprisingly vivid memories for over 20 years ago.
Thu 04/04/02 at 23:56
Regular
"Self-attraction???"
My first game was streets off rage fot the sega megadrive god i loved it.
Thu 04/04/02 at 02:34
Regular
"95% organic"
Harrier Attack on the ol' Amstrad CPC 464

...and i still play that game today, unable to part with that tape loading hunk of antiquated technology. It's ace, you have to load a game on cassette for 40 mins, only to load it again for 20 minutes at the end of each level, crossing your fingers in hope that it doesn't crash.
Sun 31/03/02 at 23:46
Oh dear, this takes me back a bit. My first games machine was the Amiga I think, I always get confused which I bought first, that or the NES. I think the Amiga was out first but I didn't buy it immediately. Anyway, my first few games for the Amiga were:

1) Shadow of the Beast I think it was called, quite scary. I once accidentally met the guy who did the music for that.
2) I cannot remember its title, but it came with it and was all about escaping this mental asylum but I never really figured it out. Some help would be appreciated.
3) Lemmings! Say no more.
4) Zool. Had some wicked graphics for its time but a bit easy.
5) Monkey Island 2. This cost as much as £45 if I remember correctly. Then I went and got MI1, Day of The Tentacle, Sam and Max, etc. It coincided with me getting Maniac Mansion on the NES so you can imagine I was something of a lucasarts nut, and still am.
6) Lotus Esprit Challenge. This had the best music! Best song was the one that went 'In the movies, colour tv, oh that's the way you do it...refrigerator'. Someone remind me what that was called you all probably think I'm clinically insane, don't you? Don't you! Used to play this with my dad on the awful joypads at the time.

Didn't the Amiga have just the worst mouse ever?
Fri 29/03/02 at 17:29
the first game i got was carmageddon
Tue 26/02/02 at 15:36
Regular
"Fangxforthemammarie"
Daley Thompsons Decathlon for the C64

I had aching hands for weeks because of that

I got it at the same time as "Booty" from Firebird which was a true classic and one of the "lama" games from Jeff cramond I think
Sun 24/02/02 at 22:16
Regular
"Whatever!"
Football Manager 2 for the Amstrad CPC 464!!
Sun 24/02/02 at 20:12
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
The first game i ever bought was the great classic Lemmings. And it still is good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.