GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm, right, Star Fox: DP, then."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/12/02 at 12:45
Regular
Firstly, I would like to say I'm a bit dissappointed. They said it would be the next Zelda, and we got something more similar to Rayman 2. WORSE than Rayman 2. This isn't a bad thing, it's just that you'd think Rare could do a whole lot better. It's not Zelda at all, the fighting is easy, and the solution to most puzzles is "look around and you'll see something to shoot" rather than something challenging. I completed this game in 20 hours and 40 mins, when a magazine I read said it would take 48 hours for even the best gamers. I'm not being modest as I say this, but I'm crap at games. Really. Rayman 2 and Zelda still reign supreme in my favourite games list.

And secondly. The. Graphics. RULE! But not that much. Whilst water effects look fantastic, they could have done much better. I know I'm being a bit fussy, but they could have put more effort in, and I would be impressed. Same with the story. The plot twist at the end removed all point in earlier parts of the story, which means I won't want to play it again.

In conclusion, they could have done a whole LOT better. So, for those of you who don't have it, wait for Rayman 3 and the next Zelda, ignoring the graphics of the latter. Nur.
Fri 20/12/02 at 12:45
Regular
"allardini's tagline"
Firstly, I would like to say I'm a bit dissappointed. They said it would be the next Zelda, and we got something more similar to Rayman 2. WORSE than Rayman 2. This isn't a bad thing, it's just that you'd think Rare could do a whole lot better. It's not Zelda at all, the fighting is easy, and the solution to most puzzles is "look around and you'll see something to shoot" rather than something challenging. I completed this game in 20 hours and 40 mins, when a magazine I read said it would take 48 hours for even the best gamers. I'm not being modest as I say this, but I'm crap at games. Really. Rayman 2 and Zelda still reign supreme in my favourite games list.

And secondly. The. Graphics. RULE! But not that much. Whilst water effects look fantastic, they could have done much better. I know I'm being a bit fussy, but they could have put more effort in, and I would be impressed. Same with the story. The plot twist at the end removed all point in earlier parts of the story, which means I won't want to play it again.

In conclusion, they could have done a whole LOT better. So, for those of you who don't have it, wait for Rayman 3 and the next Zelda, ignoring the graphics of the latter. Nur.
Fri 20/12/02 at 12:50
"Uzi Lover"
Water effects on the GC always look amazing for some reason.

I too think I'm crap at games but I completed this so quickly. Solving all the puzzles had the same anwsers and you just kept doing the same stuff and when it was different there was no challenge in it what so ever. The test of strength comes to mind...

The appeal I think the game has in it is that it is easy to complete and you can see how much % you have got done and usually it is a high number compared to your play time and also compared to all the other tough games you've played. I never complete games that often, I play for around 50% sometimes and then just give up or move onto another game I have. But Starfox kept me going because I knew I was very close to the end and so I wanted to complete it as I hardly ever complete stuff.

Overall, what a waste of development time.
Fri 20/12/02 at 12:53
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I completed it in 15:49
That is all.
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:00
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I got to the final boss last-night, and that really p'd-me-off!!

Rare obviously rushed the last 10% of the game after realising that Microsoft were just about ready to buy them!
4 years development time... "My @rse!!"

There's the final boss for a start (I won't say anymore incase some people HAVEN'T got there yet)! What did they do? Just see his picture and think `Yep, he'll do for now!`
And the KrazoaShrine for that last Krazoa Spirit... They obviously wanted to get this game finished ASAP!

But I still liked this game.
It did look incredible, it wasn't Zelda, it failed to live-up to all the previous hype, and the flying sections were way-too-short...
But I still liked it. And I feel there are a lot of potential areas in this game that Nintendo - or someone-else - could take into consideration for any future StarFox Adventure - starring Falco, perhaps??
It was dead simple, yes, but it wasn't THAT bad a game.

If you think Rayman's better, that's upto you.
I've played 2 Raman games myself, and I have to say that they were much-more linear this StarFox!

But I still don't understand why Fox never had his Blaster Gun-thingy from Super Smash Bros. Melée...?? Then we could've had a superb `Jet Force Gemini`-style game - if Rare had been bothered!
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:04
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Seargent Pepper forbids him having it at the start of the game because he says FOx shouldn't hurt any innocent civilians, or something.
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:05
"Uzi Lover"
Yeah it did feel rushed at the end.

Before you had to get the Krazoa spirits before doing something more before (even though enough time wasn't spent on the levels) but when the last few came about it was "QUICK! Get the spirits! Do the same puzzles! Then lets end the game!".

Even the last boss sucked. I was there and thinking "Hold on, I've done EXACTLY the same thing before..."
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:07
Regular
"bit of a brain"
And that stupid, stupid shopkeeper. Whoever did the voice for that character should be burned. BURNED!
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:07
"Uzi Lover"
Oh and that badge put on Tricky better of been fake.
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:09
Regular
"bit of a brain"
And why didn't Slippy get slaughtered brutally, like she should have been in Lylat Wars.
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:10
"Uzi Lover"
it's a she?!?

I never knew that...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.