GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Back To Pokémon?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/12/02 at 17:14
Regular
Should I go back to Pokémon?

Let's be honest, the first two games were amazing; building up strategies and making your beasts powerful was something created best by Nintendo. I honestly think I spent over have of my life on that game. Up until about getting my 12 Pokémon to its highest level I got sick of it.

But until then, the experience was great; getting my first monster to level 100, getting all 150 Pokémon and managing to get an official Mew all stand out as some of gamings greatest moments. Plus all the secret glitches like Missingno kept me playing.

But what really stopped me buying any more were the constant cash-ins with no meaning, around every corner there was a stupid little yellow freak annoying by repeating his name constantly.

Now it's the present day, and I looked at the Ruby and Sapphire games and thought: "This looks good" So, does this mean I should get it? Making your own house, choosing from 3 Pokémon (again, like it's some sort of tradition) and the apparent substance created within the games. The second Pokémon looked pathetic; like all the creations were forced upon the creators mind, not like the natural creatures that have been seen in the first games, and now, the third.

But, furthermore, I want more. It's easy to sit down and play on Pokémon Blue, training my monsters to the max, but where's the challenge? I need a new quest, I need to find new strategies, I need a new Pokémon. A new-old Pokémon. This is one of the hardest contemplations I've come across. The chance of destroying memories of a brilliant game or getting something new that boosts them and feeds my appetite once and for all.

What could make this even better is the four-player option. Strategies and element fighting would go up a level and it would test you to the max. I really, really like the look of it and it promises to be new and original.

There are still doubts though, spawning another series could make the series dig itself a deeper hole. So many things could fail. What's to say that there will be no inscentive whatsoever to complete the game? The first series had so many new faces wanting to be caught, plus the 3 birds and the elusive Mewtwo to be caught after beating the Elite Four was enough to keep me playing, I can tell you that! To play until you got all 150 Pokémon was another challenge that I - and many others_ faced up to and succeeded. I have no idea what the plot is and, alough some may argue, the plot is what kept me playing, because I had something to look forward to. Simply 'Find more Pokémon' won't do in this instance.

But there are many places where it could improve on the series. For one - secrets. Getting all of the Pokémon - for me - was good, but when I found out that no kind of secret was around the corner disappointed me. All I got was a dimploma. Whoop-de-doo. Also, more! The first adventure was huge, no doubt about it, but even after that I wanted more, it would be great see a bigger world, so months of gaming could be enjoyed.

So, I may only have screenshots and info to whet my appetite, but until I see something that makes me say: "Wow!" I'm not sure I'll get Pokémon. Here's to Pokémon, here's to battling, and here's to me getting it!

Thanks for reading

RiCkOsS
Tue 24/12/02 at 01:02
Regular
The Pheonix wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> How about this... by sticking the game into the Gameboy player and
> using the gamecube's modem you can go online.
>
> You should write that into NOM magazine. You might be printed.

May just do that.
Mon 23/12/02 at 21:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Drunk Cow wrote:
> You rang?

Teach gamer2007 how to post.
Mon 23/12/02 at 19:33
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Idiot.
Mon 23/12/02 at 18:30
Regular
The Pheonix wrote:
> GnomeKiller wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> I was never once dissapointed with any Pokemon game including
> Snap...
> Pokemon though needed the craze because the amount of trading and
> linking i did was phenomonal... without the craze what is there?
>
> I think there is actually a very good RPG behind the craze. Which,
> for
> once, deviates from the normal 'collect all the crystals to save the
> world' sort of plot.
>
> You've got a point there Gnomekiller...

lol
Mon 23/12/02 at 17:01
"The Will of D."
Dringo wrote:
> How about this... by sticking the game into the Gameboy player and
> using the gamecube's modem you can go online.

You should write that into NOM magazine. You might be printed.
Mon 23/12/02 at 13:59
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Maybe Nintendo should make a game cart similar to that of the Action
> Replay GBX. It has a USB cable slot on the one side allowing the
> cartridge to be connected to a computer for online updation.
>
> Maybe, if Nintendo did something similar, we could connect our GBAs to
> our computers via a GBA to USB link cable, or something similar, and
> use software to allow people to play each other online using their own
> ISPs.
>
> I know what, I should become a designer for such a system and earn
> millions :D
>
> Ah dang, now I've made my idea publically available without patenting
> such a device as the GBA to PC adaptor...

How about this... by sticking the game into the Gameboy player and using the gamecube's modem you can go online.
Mon 23/12/02 at 13:57
Regular
GnomeKiller wrote:

> I think there is actually a very good RPG behind the craze. Which, for
> world' sort of plot.

Yes there is an excellent RPG behind it all... a superb one... but lets face it one of the games most unique features was it being the most addictive 'multiplayer' RPG ever.
Sun 22/12/02 at 22:10
"The Will of D."
GnomeKiller wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> I was never once dissapointed with any Pokemon game including
> Snap...

> I think there is actually a very good RPG behind the craze. Which, for
> world' sort of plot.

You've got a point there Gnomekiller...
Sun 22/12/02 at 22:05
Regular
"Link to the Future"
Dringo wrote:
> I was never once dissapointed with any Pokemon game including Snap...

I think there is actually a very good RPG behind the craze. Which, for once, deviates from the normal 'collect all the crystals to save the world' sort of plot.
Sun 22/12/02 at 21:50
Regular
Maybe Nintendo should make a game cart similar to that of the Action Replay GBX. It has a USB cable slot on the one side allowing the cartridge to be connected to a computer for online updation.

Maybe, if Nintendo did something similar, we could connect our GBAs to our computers via a GBA to USB link cable, or something similar, and use software to allow people to play each other online using their own ISPs.

I know what, I should become a designer for such a system and earn millions :D

Ah dang, now I've made my idea publically available without patenting such a device as the GBA to PC adaptor...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.