GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Place your bets please!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/12/02 at 13:02
Regular
Similar to what PSW did, I think it's time to bet on the Christmas number one (PS2 games). Below is the definite list of all the contenders, from the favourite GTA: Vice City to the possible’s such as Lord Of The Rings and FIFA 2003. For those not certain how 'odds' work, basically the left number is how much you will win, and the right hand number is how much money you need to put in to win that amount. So 7/2 would be a £7 win for every £2 you put in.

**Absolute Favourites**

--GTA Vice City--

Last years GTA was highly popular, so it was no surprise that this was going to sell well. Still currently at the top (Although some sources claim The Getaway has taken the No.1 spot), Vice City is everyone’s favourite for number one. But has everyone already bought it already? That could be the main factor with this ones chances.

Odds- 1/100

--The Getaway--

Not receiving as many good comments as Vice City, but still selling well due the great amount of Hype the game received. As previously mentioned, The Getaway has rumoured to already be at number 1, but after all they're just rumours.

Odds- 1/75

**High Hopers**

--Pro Evolution Soccer 2--

Arguments arose whether this was as good as the first PS2 Pro Evo game, but to be honest, most people will find it hard to find fault in this footballing masterpiece. Selling tremendously well in its first week, PES 2 could find that it was released a bit too early for contention. Also there is that factor of popularity, one that FIFA usually wins.

Odds- 7/1

--FIFA 2003--

Boasting a much better game than the 2002 edition, FIFA 2003 looks set for a high finish in the charts, something that its used to. With popularity backing it all the way, it certainly looks like FIFA may pip PES to the post. However, it's doubtful that the game will beat the might of The Getaway and GTA: Vice City.

Odds- 5/1

--LOTR: The Two Towers--

A good game, if a little short, LOTR: TTT is bound to get a major boost from the recent release of the actual film the game was based on. Again, it's very unlikely to get the top spot, but just you watch, LOTR could fly up several places pretty soon.

Odds- 5/1

**Possibilities**

--Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets--

Oddly doing very well in the charts at the moment, EA's Harry Potter game could well surprise everyone. It's not exactly the best game to hit the PS2, but thanks to a younger following this game could end up with a high position in the charts.

Odds- 10/1

--James Bond 007 Nightfire--

Yet another EA game, and one that is again spurred on by film licensing (Although the story is one not seen before in any film), 007 could sneak his way somewhere to the top of the charts. Again, not very likely to nick the No.1 spot, but expect it to be in the Top 10, or even the Top 5.

Odds- 15/1

--Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4--

Surprisingly 'fresh' compared to the last Tony Hawks game, TH4 is likely to finish high. Selling well at the moment gives Hawk an advantage, but a position between 5th and 15th is a realistic estimation.

Odds- 25/1

--WWE Smackdown 4--

Wrestling is pretty popular and Smackdown has always had a big following. Very doubtful for the No.1 spot, but you never know.

Odds- 30/1

**The others**

It would seem a miracle if these were to get to the top, but its unfair to diss their chances.

BMX XXX- 50/1
Colin McRae 3- 55/1
WRC II- 55/1
Auto Modellista- 85/1
Ratchet and Clank- 88/1
Star Wars Bounty Hunter- 90/1
Hitman 2- 100/1
Burnout 2- 100/1

**On the other Platforms**

--XBox--

Splinter Cell- 1/50
Fifa 2003- 1/25
Unreal Championship- 1/4
James Bond 007 Nightfire- 2/1
Blinx- 5/1
Medal Of Honour: Frontline- 5/1

--GameCube--

Starfox Adventures- 1/25
Mario Party 4- 1/15
Timesplitters 2- 1/12
Super Mario Sunshine- 1/5
Eternal Darkness- 3/1
Resident Evil- 11/2

So, place your bets please. Who's going to get it? Bet ya it’s GTA: Vice City. But then again, who knows?
Tue 24/12/02 at 13:25
Regular
"Gtag=NOTORIOUS JCP"
"THE GETAWAY is officialy the fastest selling game ever"
thats what that fat GJ said on game network
Sun 22/12/02 at 16:38
Regular
"Hmmm....."
:-D
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:48
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Arr

:P
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:32
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Well I reckon Smackdown 4.
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:08
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I think it will probably be Vice City due to the volume of sales and the fact that people have specially bought a PS 2 just for that game and others who have had their console gathering dust have all of a sudden got interest again - simply because of this game. I have not see anything like this since the release of MGS 2, so in my mind it should be the game of the year.

----

with regards to 'odds', natbuc is right in sayin an 'odds on' bet would be the likes of 1/100, therefore bookies thinking that it was the favorite to win therefore detering punters to win any money - and giving no incentive to win. You can also have 'short odds' in games 2/1, where every pound you put, you win £2. Therefore, short odd's being for 'a possibility of a few favorites' but the bookies are not sure who will actually win.
Sun 22/12/02 at 10:28
Regular
"Max Power"
it will be vice city no dought its still at the top from the very start of november.
Sun 22/12/02 at 01:27
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Slams down the: fake gold foil wrapped sexy taste of holy-of-god milk chocolate covered money.

hehe. :)

And votes for...Vice City
Sat 21/12/02 at 19:48
Regular
"  "
Hercules! wrote:
> WWE Smackdown 4

Yes, you've said numerous times. :)
Sat 21/12/02 at 19:48
Regular
"  "
G®åpô²ºº² wrote:
> yeh, but high odds is 2/1 (its sort of backwards)

Yeah but not as hig as a 1/1000000000000
Sat 21/12/02 at 19:44
Regular
"Hmmm....."
WWE Smackdown 4

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.