GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PHP file upload - authorisations?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/02/02 at 18:21
Regular
I'm trying to make it possible for the folks that send me submissions for our web site, to upload directly. At the moment, they send to me, and then I use WSFTP.

Direct upload is possible with PHP scripts that can do things with the file once it arrives on the server from a "userfile" form. What you do is to delete the file thats there now, and then copy the temp file from the upload, into the required directory.

I can get this to work fine when the file ends up in the HTDOCS folder. But the way my site is, I want the uploaded files to go into a separate folder *at the same level* as HTDOCS (i.e unavailable to most web users). And I'm getting authorisation errors from the server.

Trouble is, this sort of problem is easier to describe when you're showing someone rather than typing it. Its obviously to do with me not knowing Unix, and I've had serious grief before with access levels!

This php facility is great because it doesnt need my contributors to have an FTP client, and I can control the upload more than I could if they did ...

So - a wide-open question. Has anyone any similar experience? Or is there a Freeola techie listening who might be able to help?
Sun 10/02/02 at 23:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
lol... done that before!

Hum.

More hosts should allow telnet/SSH access, ftp's management commands are depressingly restrictive.
Sun 10/02/02 at 20:59
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
OK - chmod. I'll go play, but with fingers crossed, cos I managed to get my whole site unavailable to me through chmod at one point.
Sun 10/02/02 at 18:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.chmod.php

Go play.

I have created directories before at teh same level of htdocs and been able to write to them, but play with CHMOD a bit. It works the same as your WS_FTP one, but you need to prefix the octal with "0" as detailed.
Sun 10/02/02 at 18:21
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I'm trying to make it possible for the folks that send me submissions for our web site, to upload directly. At the moment, they send to me, and then I use WSFTP.

Direct upload is possible with PHP scripts that can do things with the file once it arrives on the server from a "userfile" form. What you do is to delete the file thats there now, and then copy the temp file from the upload, into the required directory.

I can get this to work fine when the file ends up in the HTDOCS folder. But the way my site is, I want the uploaded files to go into a separate folder *at the same level* as HTDOCS (i.e unavailable to most web users). And I'm getting authorisation errors from the server.

Trouble is, this sort of problem is easier to describe when you're showing someone rather than typing it. Its obviously to do with me not knowing Unix, and I've had serious grief before with access levels!

This php facility is great because it doesnt need my contributors to have an FTP client, and I can control the upload more than I could if they did ...

So - a wide-open question. Has anyone any similar experience? Or is there a Freeola techie listening who might be able to help?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.