GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bioshock (Xbox360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'BioShock'.
Tue 28/08/07 at 18:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It's very rare these days to find a game that will impress you from start to finish and then still have you wanting to go back to the start and play it all over again just because it really was that good.
Bioshock is one of these rare games.

The game begins with a plane crash and you're stuck out at sea. As your character moves stranded in the water surrounded by flames it may take you a while to realise that the cut scene has ended and it's time for you to start playing. You see the graphics and water/fire effects here really are next gen. As you swim towards safety and watch various explosions you realise that after all the hype and talk of Bioshock being something rather special that you are going to be in for quite a treat.

After escaping the sea you find yourself descending in a capsule to the underwater world of Rapture where things are a little different to the normal world. Early on you are guided through rapture by way of a helpful friend on the radio who tells you a bit about Rapture, the people who live here and how to go about getting weapons and advancing through the game.

The radio plays rather a large part to the game. Throughout the game you listen to various conversations through the radio and also collect radio diaries that tell the story of the game from all angles and help everything to start making sense to you.
The voice acting used here is excellent, and it is an excellent way to get the story across to you and help you along the way.

Like all first person shooters weapons play a very key part. Being set in the 60's we have the usual weapons you'd expect to find such as a handgun, shotgun, machine gun as well as a crossbow and grenade launcher. Where things start to change from the norm though is when the plasmids become available.

Plasmids are a physical power up that you can find throughout the game or purchase using 'adam'. These plasmids give you new physical powers such as being able to freeze/burn/electrocute enemies, use telekinesis to catch and throw objects and even hypnotise a big daddy to protect you for a short period of time.

Adam? Big Daddy?
It will all make sense when you play it, and want to play it you will.
Adam is found in all living things and is the key to gaining new physical powers. As it is rather rare everyone in rapture wants it badly. The enemies throughout the game (splicers) are after the 'adam' to increase their physical abilities.
Little sisters are small girls who have been brainwashed into collecting 'adam' from the dead – as they wander around the levels they are protected by the big daddy's. Large enemies who are well armed and who put up a hard fight.

You are given a choice throughout the game, save the little sisters or harvest the 'adam' from them. Both ways will give you 'adam' to purchase additional physical abilities but will also have an affect on how the game will end for you.

In the game there are also a number of items you can interact with from security cameras, security bots and guns. With these items you can electrocute them and destroy them or hack them. Hacking the devices brings up a small mini game puzzle – solve the puzzle and you gain control of the device so that it will no longer target you but instead target your enemies. You can also hack other items such as the vending machines, safes and health machines.

The graphics throughout the game are immense. Easily the most impressive I've seen in a game and aside from the odd dodgy looking running water everything looks realistic and very atmospheric.
The audio is of equally high quality. Everything from the sound effects to the character voice acting is excellent and wouldn't be out of place in a blockbuster action movie.

Another equally impressive aspect of the game is the ability to return to levels of the game and have them exactly as you left it. So if you attack a big daddy then he'll still be wandering around the level in his damaged state – This allows you to go back and take on big daddy's when you are more suited to taking them on and to also fully explore each level and collect any items you missed the first time around.

I've played many first person shooters in all my gaming years and very few have stood out as much as this game. Everything about it looks as though it's been well thought out and cleverly put together. For me it sets the standard that all next gen titles should aim to achieve.

There are a few small faults with the game – firstly no online play at all is quite rare for a game these days but once you become immersed in the game this is something you'll be happy to lose for the experience you are given in return.
Sadly though for me the ending failed to match the rest of the game. Depending how you act at certain points in the game will affect which ending you receive – to me though the endings just felt a bit rushed and left me wanting and expecting something more special.

Bioshock is easily the best game I've played this year. Everything about it screams high quality and an entertaining experience from start to finish. It's a game you'd happily play through again to collect all the radio messages or max out all of your physical abilities and weapon upgrades.

If you haven't already played this then get out there and download the demo or purchase the full game – it really is the kind of game that anyone who considers themselves a gamer must play.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 28/08/07 at 18:44
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
It's very rare these days to find a game that will impress you from start to finish and then still have you wanting to go back to the start and play it all over again just because it really was that good.
Bioshock is one of these rare games.

The game begins with a plane crash and you're stuck out at sea. As your character moves stranded in the water surrounded by flames it may take you a while to realise that the cut scene has ended and it's time for you to start playing. You see the graphics and water/fire effects here really are next gen. As you swim towards safety and watch various explosions you realise that after all the hype and talk of Bioshock being something rather special that you are going to be in for quite a treat.

After escaping the sea you find yourself descending in a capsule to the underwater world of Rapture where things are a little different to the normal world. Early on you are guided through rapture by way of a helpful friend on the radio who tells you a bit about Rapture, the people who live here and how to go about getting weapons and advancing through the game.

The radio plays rather a large part to the game. Throughout the game you listen to various conversations through the radio and also collect radio diaries that tell the story of the game from all angles and help everything to start making sense to you.
The voice acting used here is excellent, and it is an excellent way to get the story across to you and help you along the way.

Like all first person shooters weapons play a very key part. Being set in the 60's we have the usual weapons you'd expect to find such as a handgun, shotgun, machine gun as well as a crossbow and grenade launcher. Where things start to change from the norm though is when the plasmids become available.

Plasmids are a physical power up that you can find throughout the game or purchase using 'adam'. These plasmids give you new physical powers such as being able to freeze/burn/electrocute enemies, use telekinesis to catch and throw objects and even hypnotise a big daddy to protect you for a short period of time.

Adam? Big Daddy?
It will all make sense when you play it, and want to play it you will.
Adam is found in all living things and is the key to gaining new physical powers. As it is rather rare everyone in rapture wants it badly. The enemies throughout the game (splicers) are after the 'adam' to increase their physical abilities.
Little sisters are small girls who have been brainwashed into collecting 'adam' from the dead – as they wander around the levels they are protected by the big daddy's. Large enemies who are well armed and who put up a hard fight.

You are given a choice throughout the game, save the little sisters or harvest the 'adam' from them. Both ways will give you 'adam' to purchase additional physical abilities but will also have an affect on how the game will end for you.

In the game there are also a number of items you can interact with from security cameras, security bots and guns. With these items you can electrocute them and destroy them or hack them. Hacking the devices brings up a small mini game puzzle – solve the puzzle and you gain control of the device so that it will no longer target you but instead target your enemies. You can also hack other items such as the vending machines, safes and health machines.

The graphics throughout the game are immense. Easily the most impressive I've seen in a game and aside from the odd dodgy looking running water everything looks realistic and very atmospheric.
The audio is of equally high quality. Everything from the sound effects to the character voice acting is excellent and wouldn't be out of place in a blockbuster action movie.

Another equally impressive aspect of the game is the ability to return to levels of the game and have them exactly as you left it. So if you attack a big daddy then he'll still be wandering around the level in his damaged state – This allows you to go back and take on big daddy's when you are more suited to taking them on and to also fully explore each level and collect any items you missed the first time around.

I've played many first person shooters in all my gaming years and very few have stood out as much as this game. Everything about it looks as though it's been well thought out and cleverly put together. For me it sets the standard that all next gen titles should aim to achieve.

There are a few small faults with the game – firstly no online play at all is quite rare for a game these days but once you become immersed in the game this is something you'll be happy to lose for the experience you are given in return.
Sadly though for me the ending failed to match the rest of the game. Depending how you act at certain points in the game will affect which ending you receive – to me though the endings just felt a bit rushed and left me wanting and expecting something more special.

Bioshock is easily the best game I've played this year. Everything about it screams high quality and an entertaining experience from start to finish. It's a game you'd happily play through again to collect all the radio messages or max out all of your physical abilities and weapon upgrades.

If you haven't already played this then get out there and download the demo or purchase the full game – it really is the kind of game that anyone who considers themselves a gamer must play.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.