GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Dr Zéus' Games of the Year 2002"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/12/02 at 01:48
Regular
How's this for novelty!

This is not just the layout of ONE best game of 2002 but of many. Thorough decision has brought this... my selection of games that did their genre proud for the whole year. Feel free to add your thoughts.

And
Enjoy!

STRATEGY

For starters, the strategy frontier hasn't had such an impact on gamers this year like it had in previous years, that was until one game arrived at the scene, one game to rule them all .. *Rollercoaster Tycoon 2*

The likes of Shogun or Champ Man were nothing special compared to this beauty that offered the unique tranquility of grace in a strategy title. Being able to build your own tracks, select your own type of rollercoaster, updated features and other abilities, as well as those hilarious cheats where your customers can rebel against you!

I was initially impressed with the graphics, which are the best shown in the series. The sound has improved massively with brilliant crowd and screaming effects and the gameplay is easy to pick up and play. Buying new land and materials adds loads of fun to this title, and so does impressing the customers. Without them your rollercoasters would go bust!

This game is still serving me well on my deluxe PC, but then again I haven't been such a big strategy fan.

PLATFORM

No complaints here, and no bias decisions either. There were a lot of brilliant titles delivered this year in the platform scenery, but only one really did it for me. Sorry PS2, but even though I love you the most, 'Ratchet & Clank' and 'Jak & Daxter' could not budge the true superiority of this guy, that is Mario in *Super Mario Sunshine* for the GameCube. Definitely the best platformer of this year!

Why? Quite obviously, it's not just because Mario is a gaming legend but also because this game does like its name.. it *shines*. Sunshine offers a lot of freedom, more than its opponents whose surroundings were very limited although they appeared to be vast. The world is beautifully displayed and all the way through you can't help but feel happy when playing the game. Hard tasks do come your way, but brush these aside with some simple bits of skill and you will instantly know why this game is so good.

Nintendo - softcore - whatever! Mario is at his best with this gem and even I (a PS2 fan) delight in his quest to round up all those shiny objects. The controls are familiar and easy to work with, the graphics are highly suitable and the game on the whole is thoroughly enjoyable.

ADVENTURE

Oooh..now here's a tough one. Which "adventure" of 2002 was the best? There have been plenty this year, and the majority have been of very good quality. There is 'Star Fox', 'Onimusha 2', 'Oddworld' and so on.. too many in fact but the one that really shone has to be 'Onimusha 2'.

If only Xbox and GameCube owners could share the joy that the PS2 has kept to itself for a good four months with this landmark of an adventure. Set in feudal Japan, Jubei is set to once and for all destroy the evil Nobunaga who has risen from the dark dark pits of evil where he had previously been banished to. ON the eve of 2001, Capcom set their eyes on potential with 'Onimusha' and gave a great debut performance and from then on things could only get better. 'Onimusha 2' is a gripping title that has you on the edge of your seats from start to finish. The action is swift and the gameplay is very familiar to that of Resi Evil, only easier.

Just one glance at the graphics is enough to show great achievement. This is one game strongly recommended to be played, to the less privileged Xbox and GameCube owners.. seriously!

ACTION

Is it really that obvious? Well, it shouldn't be! There have been loads of titles fitting this genre, some quite recently, and once again they have all been very pleasing, but only one gets the crown. I love 'the Getaway', 'Splinter Cell', 'Hitman 2', 'Buffy the vampire slayer', 'Lord of the Rings: Two Towers' and so on, but to be honest nothing could come close to this, this great achievement. Rockstar I'm sure have celebrated with the Fosters and Carling after all their hard, dedicated work in the office because 'GTA: Vice City' wins it by a long shot.

This game needs no introduction or description because I'll be seriously surprised if any of you haven't played this game. So much talk, so much recognition to a game that thoroughly deserves it. It's a massive improvement from GTA3 with a more fixed era (80s) which I'm sure gave the developers a greater and more fun target to aim for. This game has the lot. It's funny, realistic, involving.. I can't even think of any more words to describe it! Sure,it has received its criticisms from the odd one or two bints, but as I always say, "no game is perfect!".

I'm still playing the PS2's most proud title and I'm still loving it! Don't worry PC owners, this should be coming your way very soon (hopefully).

(R)ole(P)laying(G)ame

Final Fantasy X?..no! Morrowind?..no! Neverwinters Nights?...YES! 2002, I saw an attraction greater than Final Fantasy, and that itself is an achievement. Baldurs Gate was very close to winning the vote but 'Neverwinters Nights' was definitely the best newcomer of the genre this year.

I know realism doesn't really factor in RPGs a lot, but this game changed that. The battle sequences may seem a bit repetitive, but they are quite realistic. Strike your opponents to the ground with stunning blows and round up your squadran for an attack.. it's all here! The storyline is a bit far-fetched but nevertheless it fits in with the moral of play so everybody's happy!

Play it, then complain, if you dare! It has fantastic visuals and unique gameplay, nuff said.

(F)irst(P)erson(S)hooter

My oh my! Things are getting hotter, or should I say my head is geting hotter, but still there has to be one winner. Did the Timesplitters team do enough to gain this prestigous award, or did James Bond leave FPS fans shaken, not stirred with Nightfire? ... it's neither of them! Oooh, I know, I know, the suspense is killing you, so here it is. The best First Person Shooter this year is ... ... ... Halo! *boos*

Yeah yeah, I know, it's Microsoft but this here is something Bill Gates deserves. Halo is fast, inventive, intensive and breathtaking - everything an excellent FPS needs in good quantity. When I first witnessed the storyline and the game itself I could not believe it was on the Xbox ..Microsoft of all people! But nevertheless, it's a superb game. The missions take you deeper into the action, shooting from jeeps, jet packs and so on. The whole layout it impressive, especially Halo's world. This game is unique in the sense that you can (sort of) pick it up and play - wait for it - using the Xbox controller! What a revolution!

Anyway, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Timesplitters, you've found your target. Do something about it! Xbox fans, enjoy your victory.. for now!

SPORT

Last of the line-up but certainly not least is the sports titles. This a genre that has fixed its place annually in the industry is starting to work at a faster, better pace and it's keeping up witht the times. 2002, another year for EA to dish out another poor attempt at a footy sim? Unfortunately, yes. However, they should get credit for their brilliant NHL and NFL titles. But still, Smash Court Tennis, Tiger Woods and all the rest of the mumbo jumbo cannot touch this! This being *Pro Evolution Soccer 2*. Konami have really found their stride with their production or quality games, PES2 being probably one of their best.

Anyone who loves football, and has played this game will also love PES2. It has that unique appeal that says "what are you waiting for?" It's predecessor was a decoy for fans of the genre, and once it arrived all eyes were on this beauty.

From head to toe this is a fantastic game! It has strategy, managerial abilities, in depth gameplay, realistic gameplay, great graphics, realistic movement ... the lot! The PS2 has definitely added to its list of classics with this one. As long as PES2 is about, and Konami for that matter, Fifa will always come in second.

It's unbeatable! It's delightful! It's Pro Evolution Soccer 2!

Hope you enjoyed that list of Dr Zéus' Games of 2002!

See you around
Sun 22/12/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Dr Zéus wrote:

> It's alright with the whole composing thing 'coz I'm Casanova to the
> ladies.

lol. :O)
Sun 22/12/02 at 17:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Why thankyou Chipster.

It's alright with the whole composing thing 'coz I'm Casanova to the ladies.

:D
Sun 22/12/02 at 17:01
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Nicely composed. Well done. :)

(Yes I am aware that it is not a song, and no orchestra is involved... :D)
Sun 22/12/02 at 17:00
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Neverwinter Nights is the worst RPG I've ever played.

Then what is your best RPG?

gerrid, Shenmue didn't come out this year

fool :)
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:05
Regular
"bit of a brain"
What about Shenmue Mr "taking leave"?
Sun 22/12/02 at 12:37
Regular
Neverwinter Nights is the worst RPG I've ever played.
Sun 22/12/02 at 11:20
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Anyway, comments would be much appreciated
Sun 22/12/02 at 11:19
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
heh, I'm nothing like the guy from Memento! Hey, and you're name is a 'doctor' as well.

The breed is spreading

:)
Sun 22/12/02 at 01:54
Regular
"699 days!"
Lol, and the idea of *memory* never came into your head.

Have you seen Memento? Are you that guy?
Sun 22/12/02 at 01:51
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
The idea came and I had ro go for it before it left my head

me sleepy now

me go bed long time

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.