GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do You Believe That The GCN and XBOX Are In Direct Competition?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 19:02
Regular
Now, I believe that Nintendo themselves have denied that they see Microsoft as competitors, but many, many people at this board think otherwise. Let's take a look at the two consoles fairly quickly:

GCN:

Made by: Nintendo, long-running, established company with a strong fanbase in all three major gaming industries.
Hard drive: No.
Internet access: No.
DVD playing facilities: No.
Third Party Support: Much better than the N64, with successful franchises such as THPS and Fifa on board.
Exclusive Games: Nintendo are renowned for their Ninty-only games, with the likes of Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Donkey Kong Racing all set to delight.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports, with a handle for easy handling when taking it round a mate's.

XBOX:

Made by: Microsoft, the company hated by so much of the Internet community, despite it being the same company that standardized home computing, and created the best selling operating system ever. This is their first dabble in console gaming.
Hard drive: Yes.
Internet access: Yes.
DVD playing facilities: Yes.
Third Party Support: Looking good, again with 'safe' games being brought over to Bill's Black Box. Metal Gear Solid is a major coup.
Exclusive Games: Halo has recieved much acclaim, and along with other titles such as Gotham Racing and Jet Set Radio Future is has been hailed as a classic.
Multiplayer facilities: Four controller ports.

Now, some more things.

GCN:

You have to admit, it looks like My First Console (tm) with it's tiny, purple cuteness...but it won't break your foot. Doesn't do much to shake off the 'kiddy' tag.

XBOX:

I really do think that MS did a good job, as it looks...powerful. It looks like a hardcore gaming machine, not a handbag. As big as your average fridge, but it looks like a console, and you can't fault it for that.

GCN:

Is it a child's toy? Resi Evil has been nabbed by the big N, but Capcom have already shed doubt on their dedication to the machine. Zelda now looks like something you'd see at 2pm on Nickelodeon and a Pokemon game is going to surface sooner or late...it's looking more and more like your casual gamer will opt away from the GCN. However, the massive Nintendo fanbase will come in droves to buy it. Being marketed not as a multimedia box of tricks, but a GAMES machine.

XBOX:

The new kid on the block...much like Sony. As stated in many other topics, there are other similarities: Microsoft taking things and adding them to their machine, starting to set a new standard. It's being marketed as a contender to Sony's PS2, DVD playback and all...not Nintendo's Gamecube.

OK, I think I lost my point somewhere in the middle...but do you think that GCN and XBOX are in direct competition? Do you think that MS could do to Ninty what Sony did to Sega?
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:09
i don't really think they are up agian'st each other because both products try to attract differnet age groups of people, like nintendo is more like the younger generation and the old ninty fans, and xbox is more for the techno freaks.
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:03
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Oh yes...what's the GC-Q?
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:01
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Doughtyarian wrote:
> The X-Box is based at PC
> owners more than anything else, I suspect. Non-PCers don't know what Microsoft
> are like, and so a lot probably won't both and will go with 'ol faithful
> (Gamecube). The GameCube is more aimed at children, but adults also, making it
> something for everyone.

That last sentence is quite a contradiction, and the rest is quite dumb IMHO. The XBOX is being pitched to the console gaming community as much as to people looking to get their first taste of TV gaming.

Plus, 'non-PCers' probably know as much about MS as 'PCers' with the amount of news coverage they get.

> Looks don't matter. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Have you even
> played an X-Box and a GameCube? I doubt it. I haven't, and so it's not my place
> to judge them. I can only judge them on appearence and specificiation.

Again, the last two sentences contradict each other. And asking whether or not I've played them is redundant. This is not about gameplay at all, as I presume I am talking to European gamers, most of which would also have not played a GCN or XBOX. This post was about if you think the two are in direct competition, which I've already reminded you of once.

pb, I agree with pretty much all of your post, except for the Ferrari/4x4 thing. Two different things: I'd be annoyed off if I spent £120,000 on a speedy sports car with a powerful engine, and when I revved it up it didn't make that pleasing roar that engines should.
Sat 09/02/02 at 12:27
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
I own both Gamecube and Xbox at the moment, and I can honestly say that Gamecube has been a little bit of a let down.

When i first got my Spice Orange Gamecube (not the most sensible colour i know but sounded like a good idea at the time) I was fairly impressed as i only had my ps2 to compare it too, but as with ps2 the initial impact soon wore off (give it a week) and i found a cheap xbox and thought what the hell, so i bought a xbox Halo, Munch's oddesseye and Blood wake, i havn't stopped playing the xbox since, and in spite of it being the size of both the gamecube and ps2 put together, it is a great console.

Microsoft have made themselves the new sony by releasing this machine, great games and most of all some decent original ideas, plus the power of this thing is beyond words!

As such my Gamecube is for sale, and has been put on auction sites, despite being cheaper it just cant compete with the xbox on power and support, although i may end up keeping it to play the nintendo and sega games being released on the gamecube exclusivly.... i dont know maybe i will run a topic on which one to axe.
Sat 09/02/02 at 12:01
Despotic Banana wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> swander87 wrote:
> The question was are they in direct
> competition. Yes,
> they're both gaming
> consoles but do you think that
> XBOX and GCN are
> looking at totally different
> markets?

And yes, I
> think the XBOX looks
> how a console should look. Big, and
> powerful.
> Nobody likes a car that
> doesn't make any noise when you start it up,
>
> and no hardcore gamer wants a
> bright pink console.

Well the X-Box isn't
> aimed fully at gameplaying. But the
> GC is. The GC-Q will be and that is
> for a more mature >audience along with the X-Box but it isn't out for
> AGES.

I disagree, in that the GC has Pikmin, one of the most "cartoony" or "kiddy" games I can think of. I have yet to see an X-Box title that is cute or cuddly.

Actually the Game Cube comes out in may, and its not just bright pink.
> It will be available in black, purple, gold, etc.

I've seen the black one, and it looks horrible!

Oh yeah, GC will kick
> X-box's a**e.

I STRONGLY disagree. Sure, Nintendo have the third party support, but can you balance a console on that? I think we should all wait until we've played them to say who's going to kick who's a**e.
Despotic Banana wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> swander87 wrote:
> competition. Yes,
> they're both gaming
> XBOX and GCN are
> markets?

And yes, I
> think the XBOX looks
> powerful.
>
> bright pink console.

Well the X-Box isn't
> AGES.

I disagree, in that the GC has Pikmin, one of the most "cartoony" or "kiddy" games I can think of. I have yet to see an X-Box title that is cute or cuddly.

Oh yeah, GC will kick
> X-box's a**e.

I STRONGLY disagree. Sure, Nintendo have the third party support, but can you balance a console on that? I think we should all wait until we've played them to say who's going to kick who's a**e.
Despotic Banana wrote:
> AfroJoe wrote:
> swander87 wrote:
> competition. Yes,
> they're both gaming
> XBOX and GCN are
> markets?

And yes, I
> think the XBOX looks
> powerful.
>
> bright pink console.

Well the X-Box isn't
> AGES.

Oh yeah, GC will kick
> X-box's a**e.

Sat 09/02/02 at 11:59
Regular
"Back For Good"
swander87 wrote:
And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and
> powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up,
> and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.

he's got a point
Sat 09/02/02 at 11:51
AfroJoe wrote:
> swander87 wrote:
> The question was are they in direct competition. Yes,
> they're both gaming
> consoles but do you think that XBOX and GCN are
> markets?

And yes, I think the XBOX looks
> powerful. Nobody likes a car that
> bright pink console.

Well the X-Box isn't aimed fully at gameplaying. But the
> GC is. The GC-Q will be and that is for a more mature >audience along with the X-Box but it isn't out for AGES.

Actually the Game Cube comes out in may, and its not just bright pink. It will be available in black, purple, gold, etc.

Oh yeah, GC will kick X-box's a**e.
Sat 09/02/02 at 11:01
swander87 wrote:
> The question was are they in direct competition. Yes, they're both gaming
> consoles but do you think that XBOX and GCN are looking at totally different
> markets?

Yes. The X-Box is based at PC owners more than anything else, I suspect. Non-PCers don't know what Microsoft are like, and so a lot probably won't both and will go with 'ol faithful (Gamecube). The GameCube is more aimed at children, but adults also, making it something for everyone.

And yes, I think the XBOX looks how a console should look. Big, and
> powerful. Nobody likes a car that doesn't make any noise when you start it up,
> and no hardcore gamer wants a bright pink console.

Looks don't matter. Don't judge a book by it's cover. Have you even played an X-Box and a GameCube? I doubt it. I haven't, and so it's not my place to judge them. I can only judge them on appearence and specificiation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.