GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Dreamcast is an excellent console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 24/12/02 at 21:24
Regular
I really do hope santa gets me a lie detector for christmas!

:ŹD
Wed 29/01/03 at 19:27
Ah, scheme. I hear what you're saying. Uhhh, my bad, the point I meant was that in the hands of skilled developers, the PS2 can do a bit more, but you're totally right in the case of Track and Field. I think it was a shoddy port job. Same as, when comparing the versions of Spyhunter on PS2 and GC, another shoddy port. Burnout is another matter though. Citeron Used middleware to port it and it turned out all tasty. When I compared the 1st and second generation titles on dreamcast to PS2 (game in general, not ports of the same game), the DC versions always looked a bit more crispy. But yeah, true dat, true dat.
Tue 28/01/03 at 17:45
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Striding Cloud wrote:
To be fair, the PS2 has a few tricks up it's sleeve than the DC (and
> vice versa) with a bit more punch, but I remember how bad (or rather,
> how 'un-special' Ridge Racer V and Tekken Tag looked when I first saw
> them)

--I might be wrong here, but I think u interepreted my last post incorrectly. I was saying how poor the Dreamcast version of ESPN: International Track and Field looked compared to the PS2 version. There was nothing on the PS2 version that DC could not do! As I said, its developers prioritising, which is unfair for DC owners, but we can only expect Konami to work harder on a game that will sell more ie. a game on PS2.
Mon 27/01/03 at 20:13
Console_kid wrote:
> > >because PS2 has the biggest installed user-base, it means any game
> will >sell more, so developers tend to
> give it first priority.
>
> --That is 100% true!!!!! And I have evidence of that... If anyone has
> it, then play ESPN International Track and Field on the PS2 and then
> play the Dreamcast version!! The graphics are terrible, but PS2's
> attempts actually look great, but NOT because PS2 can 'handle' the
> better graphics, its because of Konami prioritising! If anyone has
> seen clips of IT&F on PS2 and DC, you will see that Dreamcast can
> produce graphics just as good as IT&F on PS2..... But in the end,
> who can blame companies like Konami! Its inevitable that they will put
> more effort into the game that will sell more!

To be fair, the PS2 has a few tricks up it's sleeve than the DC (and vice versa) with a bit more punch, but I remember how bad (or rather, how 'un-special' Ridge Racer V and Tekken Tag looked when I first saw them) Firstly, they held the same play mechanics, there was no evolution in gameplay qualities, only the graphical field and both games looked very 'rough round the edges'. Basically, the PS2 is harder to get to grips with and squeeze out the power from than the other machines. The Saturn and the N64 were notoriously hard to develop for, (Something Nintendo's done well to rectify this time round, and Sega too, but it was the marketing that killed them really) Overall, the DC is more efficiently designed... as is the GC, however, X-Box still has the graphical edge, but it's all dirty raw beasty CPU speed power, none of the elegant design that graces Nintendo's and Sega's machines and their graphic chipsets. DC was also the only to come with a modem as standard which to me was bloody excellent, especially for the price, and Sega put their rear-end (great filtering, guys :( ) in gear and did a pretty good job with their online gaming scene. I hear they're looking to online gaming playing a major role for them in the future. DC and GC have some memory restrictions, but like I said, more discs isn't much of a problem at all, especially with cheap manufacturing costs and the adavanments in compression technology. Anyone remembers Resident Evil 2 on PS One? Yeah, came on 2 CDs thats 650MB x 2... That's 1200MB of data (although perhaps each CD wasn't totally filled, but the total game came to well over 650MB. So over comes the N64 port, years of foolish Sony zealots and generally ignorant people trying to state that the N64 can't do 'real music' or FMV despite me trying to explained the basis of memory restriction not hardware or processing restrictions. CD Quality sound is achievable on a cart, just not worth the memory which takes up so much e.g. think about mp3 and audio formats which record frenquies well out of the range of CD Standard recording (about 40Hz to 42,000Hz... I think... It's something like that, I forget.) Anyway, it depends on memory restrictions, imagine the look on my friend's faces when they heard the audio on Chef's Luv Shack on N64, exactly the same as the PS One version. You idiots, probably still wasn't CD quality either, but they didn't know that either... Sigh. And so (the point, I've come right away from is that Nintendo (Capcom, whoever) opt instead, to cram a single cartridge with memory chips 512MB worth (Mario 64 is 64MB, Zelda; Ocarina of Time is 256MB and Obre Battle:Person of Lordly Calibre, which I haven't yet!! Grrrrrr is about three hundred and something MB) so, they cram 1200MB of data into 512MB of silicon, FMV and all. Top stuff. Under inspection, the FVM has a bit more grain than the PS One version, but under such compression, you can't complain! It's all there and looks good, plus it ran in Hi-Res mode and the characters looked crisp... What am I talking about? How did I get to this?? Oh, never mind....

"That is your problem. Then I cannot oblige"
Fri 24/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Striding Cloud wrote:
> We all know how excellent the Dreamcast was, and even though it
> flopped, it didn't deserve to and depite being the first out has no
> REAL flaws, memory capacity is limited, (but not much of an obstacle
> due to multi-disc games and it refreshes textures in real time
> (noticable on PSO and Shenmue, but they are still great games)

--You are right there, DC is the only console which in my view has hardly if no main flaws!!!!!! It is almost perfect in my view, and it is such a shame. Everyone knows DC had soooooo much potential. It is just a shame that people fell into the jaws of Sony and not the refreshing, original Sega!
....YEAH IVE NOTICED THAT ON SHENMUE AND PSO!!!! As you walk along, you can see a slight line, and as you walk further along the focus and detail of the textures gets clearer. I never knew what that technique was called! Do you know any other games that use that technique?

> Thing I hate about PS2 that ports to superior machines seems to suffer
> because they aren't reworked to machine's specs

--Sony relies of third party support, in fact they NEED third party support to survive! Dreamcast which had very little support, still had some of the best games on any system! It just shows that a system can have fantastic games without the dull porting, and unoriginality of third party porting.

>because PS2 has the biggest installed user-base, it means any game will >sell more, so developers tend to
> give it first priority.

--That is 100% true!!!!! And I have evidence of that... If anyone has it, then play ESPN International Track and Field on the PS2 and then play the Dreamcast version!! The graphics are terrible, but PS2's attempts actually look great, but NOT because PS2 can 'handle' the better graphics, its because of Konami prioritising! If anyone has seen clips of IT&F on PS2 and DC, you will see that Dreamcast can produce graphics just as good as IT&F on PS2..... But in the end, who can blame companies like Konami! Its inevitable that they will put more effort into the game that will sell more!

> Bottom line - the DC is excellent no better beat em up than Soul
> Calibur yet, Power Stone games were awesome, Resi Evil Code Veronica,
> (identical port to PS2 version I might add), MSR, Skies of Arcadia,
> Shenmue I and II, Jet Set Radio Future... House of the Dead,

--Tekken? Soul Calibur
Super Smash Bros? Powerstone 2
Time Crisis? House Of The Dead
Mario Sunshine? Sonic Adventure
Final Fantasy? Shenmue/Skies of Arcadia
Tennis Masters 2003? Virtua Tennis 2
GT3? Sega GT

It just shows how the Dreamcast titles, stand up to the supposed 'top games' at the moment. We have our equilivants, and in most cases they are better (in my view).

I'll be playing the games on it for AGES

--So will I!..... Sega Dreamcast..... the most underestimated console in video gaming history!!!
Thu 23/01/03 at 20:45
We all know how excellent the Dreamcast was, and even though it flopped, it didn't deserve to and depite being the first out has no REAL flaws, memory capacity is limited, (but not much of an obstacle due to multi-disc games and it refreshes textures in real time (noticable on PSO and Shenmue, but they are still great games)

Thing I hate about PS2 that ports to superior machines seems to suffer because they aren't reworked to machine's specs (not al the time, but more often than not) and because PS2 has the biggest installed user-base, it means any game will sell more, so developers tend to give it first priority. The DC might be the most underpowered in terms of sheer processing power, but overall the DC and GC are more efficient (did I spell that wrong? Ah well.) and better designed than MS' and Sony's latest offering, even though they have more 'raw' processing power. Better games come quicker and easily through this, but money on the other hand... release any game on PS2, hype it, no matter how dry and if it doesn't break even, I'll eat my hat (I don't wear one, but still... that's how confident I am about it)

Bottom line - the DC is excellent no better beat em up than Soul Calibur yet, Power Stone games were awesome, Resi Evil Code Veronica, (identical port to PS2 version I might add), MSR, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue I and II, Jet Set Radio Future... House of the Dead, the list goes on... I'll be playing the games on it for AGES (ha, ha, that was cool, and not even intentional!)
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:39
what do u think about n64
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:37
i agree i think that the dreamcast is the best console going
Fri 27/12/02 at 14:48
Regular
"Bring the beat back"
The Dreamcast was a good console like all SEGA console. I think it was released at the right time but there wasn't enough games. Sega went for quality which is good but there was a lack of games then. Also with news of a PS2 everyone saved money for that than buying a Dreamcast.
Fri 27/12/02 at 11:31
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
The whole sentence could be:
> "I really do hope santa gets me a lie detector for christmas because some tube is buying me a PS2 for Christmas."

BB.
Thu 26/12/02 at 22:31
Regular
"All about the Beats"
I think its a great console, at the moment its better then my GC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.