GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pro Evo 2 - Two months on"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pro evolution soccer 2'.
Wed 25/12/02 at 20:31
Regular
Two months after buying Pro Evolution Soccer 2 and I’m still loving minute of every game, every tackle and every goal. Putting the obvious realism aside, the game still manages to amaze me. First, I was shocked when the players leaned back to header the ball when the ball was drifting over their heads. When players “chickened” out of tackles and when goalkeepers rushed when a player was steaming towards them, and when they took their time when they were un-pressured. I thought these quite big things would be it, but they were only the pudding in the cake, the icing was still to come.

After nestling into the Master League and playing for a few games with that terrible team you get given, I started to buy new players and get passed drawing, the wins started to come. I was scoring my goals about 30 minutes into the game, and struggling to keep the score tilted my way, but a few times my opponents would equalise. And this is where another great part of the game was introduced. Near the end of the game, my players would miss almost every opportunity they’d get. This was just so realistic. Whether it was me rushing to try and score and making mistakes, or whether the game makes it like this, this was just so sweet.

You know Euro 96’ when Gascoigne missed the ball when it was rolling across the line against Germany, well I’ve had this happen to me a few times on PES2. This is such a great moment; I even stretch out my own leg for the player. I don’t think I’ve been involved in a game as much as this, I actually moved! I just feel so disappointed when the ball rolls inches away from the players foot, but I punch the air when he touches it and the ball creeps behind the line.

I don’t know whether it’s the right player at the right time, but some players seem to do their “trademark” tricks. I’ve been playing, and Ljunberg has scored with that goal that loops over the keeper and curls into the far top corner. Henry flicks the ball through when the defence haven’t got a clue what he’s about to do, and when Pires strikes the ball low and hard to the far post. This is just so smart, whether it’s me or the game; I love it all the same.

We’ve all seen it before; a buffoon of a keeper runs out and tries to get the ball from the air, knowing he’s going to miss it. Well this has happened to me twice on Pro Evo 2, once I was there to score and the other I wasn’t. The first I wasn’t there, and I cringed as I saw the keeper coming out, not sure whether he was going to make it or not. When it just missed the post and went wide, I was relieved for him in a way. When I was there, I felt so happy because he looked like a fool. My player looked like a “Randal” character, he’d just sneaked in at the back post and made the keeper feel like David Brent, a right plonker.

Keepers make other mistakes as well; they seem not to dive at times. A lot of the time when I take free kicks, the keeper just stands there like he soiled himself. I can remember when England played Greece, the Greek keeper gave England a gift, from where I was sitting I think he could have reached Beckham’s free kick. And this is what it looks like from where I sit in front of my PS2; it looks to me like the keeper has made a schoolboy error.

It so funny when you get given a penalty, but it’s the way you are challenged which is just so cool. Near and around the half way line on the pitch, the players are cautious with their challenges, but in the area the lunge in at the ball at all costs, whether they get the ball or not. Sometimes two or three will throw themselves at the player with the ball, which reminds me so much of the players I see on the T.V. It just looks so convincing though when you see it in real time, you just feel like the referee has to give a penalty.

So, it’s been two long months and I’d say around 200 games, and I’m still being surprised by Konami’s gem. I just hope it keeps this up for a long, long time to come.

Thanks for reading,
Benny Bish.
Wed 08/01/03 at 19:49
Ah yes, sorry.

Did a fun thing today. In the Edit Mode you can go to the AllStar Selection, and then put in your own teams. So, at the moment, My European AllStar team is:

Yashin
Baresi
Rijkaard
Beckenbaur
Fachetti
Platini
Gullit
Netzer
Eusebio
Van Basten
Cruyff

And in the reserves I've got players like Best, Puskas, Seeler, Hagi, Sivori, and all of them. Absolutely creamed the World AllStars 7-2, with Pele and Socrates scoring for them. Unfortunately, the only problem is that although I can change the formation I don't know how to change like the kicker, and the captain and stuff, because when I play them, Fillol takes the freekicks and penalties, and when Yashin saves, all I have to do is pass to Eusebio and have him sprint up the pitch and bang one in from about the halfway line. Easy-peasy.
Wed 08/01/03 at 12:16
"You love us!"
Sdrawkcab wrote:
> Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
> real team names,
>
> So why is Man U called Aragon in Solskjaers goal celebration?

Because the link that Badgerman gave you goes to a site that are producing their own patch for winning eleven 6: final evolution and the screen shots you saw are work in progress pictures of that patch. This is why the man Utd team name is wrong. However, when this patch is finished, it should be very good. Those pics are just an early indication of what to expect.

The patch I have is by a guy called R4ps0dy. This patch changes all the stuff I talked about, including the team names.

His website is….
http://www.wedoit.da.ru/

Go to that link and you’ll see a list of the changes the patch makes along with some rather nice screenshots.

Hope this clears things up, and shame on you for doubting me ;-)

And as for you badgerman, if you're gonna put a link in a thread on behalf of someone else, at least make it the right god damn link mate :-)
Tue 07/01/03 at 22:02
Regular
"es argh"
Juicy, go here for a patching tutorial

http://www.issextreme.com/scripts/articles.php?article=31
Tue 07/01/03 at 21:27
Echelon_vs_Lightforce wrote:
real team names,

So why is Man U called Aragon in Solskjaers goal celebration?
Mon 06/01/03 at 22:22
Regular
"Hmmm....."
You probably need a chipped PS2 to play it aswell.

;-)
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:26
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
So when the patch is finished, or if it's finished, where do i go to download it? I looked at the site below from Badger and couldn't find a download button, but the kits look well good, top dudes that made them. Any help?
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:03
Regular
"es argh"
DeltaJava wrote:
> "Rhapsody patch"? What's that?

It's R4ps0dy.

It's basicallly something you download, burn to disk and whatnot.

It really makes the game a better experience on the whole

Take a lookie...

http://www.evo-web-forums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2641
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:42
"Rhapsody patch"? What's that?
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:23
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
> by far the greatest football, nay, sports simulation
> every created.

Nay :D I can't wait for this game, it seems to have covered about 3/4 of the problems that PES2 had. Does anyone know when it is released in the U.K?
Mon 06/01/03 at 16:49
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
> Yeah, PES2 is an excellent game, but it simply pails into
> insignificance when placed along side the sheer majestic perfection of
> Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution.
>
> WE6: Final Evolution + Rhapsody patch = the best PES/WE football game
> so far!

Shutup because...I haven't got it!

* goes into state of depression*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.