GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If Video Games Cause Violence..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 07:55
Regular
...as opposed to the movies that have been flooding our lives since we were born, then what about "Game To Film" Incarnations? Think about it, guys, there IS some kind of logic behind this post. People (Parents) complain that games cause children to do violent things. Hasn't the same been said about movies?

Games = Violent
Movies = Violent
Games + Movies = Twice the violence
Twice the violence = Plenty of media interest

This gives us a booming movie and games industry. So maybe the violence is good for business, and bad for people. Which means, naturally, its all a question of business ethics. The media are hypocrtical on the subject. They're the ones who show us violent material in the newspaper and on television. I'm gonna get revenge on them. I'll prank phone their houses and send pizzas to 'em and stuff! Viva la resistance! Only a fool would negate the possibility of there being a relationship between anti-social behaviour and games (or any other sector within the entertainment industry). Only long term scientific research will be able to come close, but even then I cannot see a clear yes or no answer.

The most overlooked area is the toy market. How companies can escape the law while producing action figures based on adult films (Alien, Predator, Terminator etc) is simply beyond me. The simple fact of the matter is they are actively encouraging juveniles to view the films on which the figures are based - they imply that the film has already been watched.

Then there are the cartoons. I was brought-up on a rich diet of ThunderCats, Transformers, He-Man, Dungeons and Dragons, Marvel superhero cartoons etc. The violence in these cartoons have never been seen since! But hold on. What about Tom being constantly bashed on the head by Jerry? A typical day in the life of a school bully and the victim "getting their own back" is not far off. Tom and Jerry practically encourage one to take revenge! Not something to be admired in an otherwise law-abiding community now is it? To blame games is the only way the ignorant can attempt to seem intelligent. The fact that the games industry is still referred to as a young person's encounter is the one thing holding them back (this is because the majority of today's gamers are adult-ish). Once these prerendered references are eliminated, we can then laugh at the next new industry to suffer under the same public ridicule.

I scott at the fact that a lot of the time, people of "high power" who slate games eg. Prince Charles, have never even played them. Charles said that videogames are ruining our childrens lives, and will never have the same effect as books, even though Tony Blair has a PlayStation in his car! Violence in games corrupts young minds, he says, but I laughed because there are still violent books out there too. To every fluffy game, there's a violent one. To every fluffy film, there's a violent one. Its even in music. No matter what, violence is something that is very much so real. People experience it every day. ELSPA are controlled by people who are four times my age, and I bet they don't even sit down and play the games they rate, they simply judge them on content. To reiterate: I hate ELSPA. They feel as though our minds are too fragile to take these things. God damn it, why is Saving Private Ryan even a 15 when it was more violent then Starship Troopers? Why is Soldier of Fortune an 18, when all Kingpin has is swearing? I'm sick and tired of the bull reasons they come up with because it all leads back to one: They think we're getting our minds corrupted. Sod them. Let them actually play one of the games from start to finish. Pefect Dark? Why the Hell was that an 18?

There is no link between media violence and real-life violence. I've been watching violent films and playing games for nearly 10 years and I have never resorted to violence in any situation. It's just Mail on Sunday - hysteria generating, high-horse bull. It's undoubted that violence in the media will affect certain types of people (those who are mentally deficient) but unless you want to live in a facist country where no form of entertainment is allowed, what are you going to do?

Give me Soldier Of Fortune to play and I'll enjoy it as a good shooting game. Give it to some disturbed American psycho with an arsenal of weapons and he'd most likely go on a shooting spree at his local school. Similarly, give me a spoon and I'll eat food with it. Give a spoon to some American psycho with a steak knife set and he'd most likely go on a stabbing spree at his local school, followed by eating their brains with the spoon. The conclusion? Spoons are evil. They should be banned. Should we be talking about violence or the morals that the violence enbodies? Now, if we talk about games like Grand Theft Auto, one can see how the random pointless violence may be seen as offensive. But in games such as Half Life or Max Payne, sure they are violent, but its against evil incarnations and in special circumstances. Violence in games may inspire violence out of games yet the further the game's plot is from the gamer's reality the harder it is for him to translate that violence into the real world.

Ask yourselves this: if games aren't meant to be taken seriously, but are, as such, simple forms of enjoyment, then why would developers make Artificial Intelligence so life like? Hideo Kojima said that with Metal Gear Solid 2 he wasn't trying to glorify violence, but he's certainly glorifying realism, and he knows that, by making Soldiers and Marines smart. A.I. is becoming more realistic everyday, and if games aren't meant to corrupt minds, why are they giving us games where we shoot the limbs off of people who react as any real person would?

Down with ELSPA...and spoons :p
Is there an answer to the violence?

Thanks for reading,
Shaun
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:22
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Stryke wrote:
> Of course there's no answer for violence. Because it's cool. But never once have
> I had the urge to batter a Jamaican guy with a bat after playing GTA3, or go and
> deck an easter bunny after watching Mallrats....OK, maybe once.

That's good, because you have a perception of what's real life and what isn't. A lot of people are dillusional and can't tell where the line between reality and virtual reality is.

Well, I'm swure most of
> us realised that at 8, but there's always the 14 yr old who can't get in to
> shout out for holding up the line, and thats part of the cinema expierience.
> That, and pick and mix.

For me, you and the vast majority of normal people, when told its a game, they think nothing more of it, but some get engrossed, thinking its real life. These people should never play games, and I hate the media for blaming this on games primarily, just to try and act intelligent. The parents are no better - blaming it on games also. Don't hate the game, hate the player. The player watches, the player chooses to play the game. If they are too narrow-minded to not be able to notice the difference, then they have something wrong with them. Books and action figures are not even examined as influential, which in my opinion is a strong bias that the media and people in general have. I can't see this problem being irridicated or even going into a slight decline soon as games become MORE realistic as time passes. As I said about MGS2, games are going to get to the point where NOBODY will be able to tell the differences, except that they're murdering someone with VR glasses and a television set.

Its a sad fact of life that people are ignorant.
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:07
Regular
Of course there's no answer for violence. Because it's cool. But never once have I had the urge to batter a Jamaican guy with a bat after playing GTA3, or go and deck an easter bunny after watching Mallrats....OK, maybe once.

Anyway, it's a difference between reality of the world of films and games, where you always get the girl and you autmoatically resurrect yourself. IT'S NOT REAL and everyone in the world, except Americans, realise that. I think age ratings shouldn't vary, but abolish after 15, which 15 being the highest rating. After that we can realise that violence on screen isn't real. Well, I'm swure most of us realised that at 8, but there's always the 14 yr old who can't get in to shout out for holding up the line, and thats part of the cinema expierience. That, and pick and mix.
Fri 08/02/02 at 07:55
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
...as opposed to the movies that have been flooding our lives since we were born, then what about "Game To Film" Incarnations? Think about it, guys, there IS some kind of logic behind this post. People (Parents) complain that games cause children to do violent things. Hasn't the same been said about movies?

Games = Violent
Movies = Violent
Games + Movies = Twice the violence
Twice the violence = Plenty of media interest

This gives us a booming movie and games industry. So maybe the violence is good for business, and bad for people. Which means, naturally, its all a question of business ethics. The media are hypocrtical on the subject. They're the ones who show us violent material in the newspaper and on television. I'm gonna get revenge on them. I'll prank phone their houses and send pizzas to 'em and stuff! Viva la resistance! Only a fool would negate the possibility of there being a relationship between anti-social behaviour and games (or any other sector within the entertainment industry). Only long term scientific research will be able to come close, but even then I cannot see a clear yes or no answer.

The most overlooked area is the toy market. How companies can escape the law while producing action figures based on adult films (Alien, Predator, Terminator etc) is simply beyond me. The simple fact of the matter is they are actively encouraging juveniles to view the films on which the figures are based - they imply that the film has already been watched.

Then there are the cartoons. I was brought-up on a rich diet of ThunderCats, Transformers, He-Man, Dungeons and Dragons, Marvel superhero cartoons etc. The violence in these cartoons have never been seen since! But hold on. What about Tom being constantly bashed on the head by Jerry? A typical day in the life of a school bully and the victim "getting their own back" is not far off. Tom and Jerry practically encourage one to take revenge! Not something to be admired in an otherwise law-abiding community now is it? To blame games is the only way the ignorant can attempt to seem intelligent. The fact that the games industry is still referred to as a young person's encounter is the one thing holding them back (this is because the majority of today's gamers are adult-ish). Once these prerendered references are eliminated, we can then laugh at the next new industry to suffer under the same public ridicule.

I scott at the fact that a lot of the time, people of "high power" who slate games eg. Prince Charles, have never even played them. Charles said that videogames are ruining our childrens lives, and will never have the same effect as books, even though Tony Blair has a PlayStation in his car! Violence in games corrupts young minds, he says, but I laughed because there are still violent books out there too. To every fluffy game, there's a violent one. To every fluffy film, there's a violent one. Its even in music. No matter what, violence is something that is very much so real. People experience it every day. ELSPA are controlled by people who are four times my age, and I bet they don't even sit down and play the games they rate, they simply judge them on content. To reiterate: I hate ELSPA. They feel as though our minds are too fragile to take these things. God damn it, why is Saving Private Ryan even a 15 when it was more violent then Starship Troopers? Why is Soldier of Fortune an 18, when all Kingpin has is swearing? I'm sick and tired of the bull reasons they come up with because it all leads back to one: They think we're getting our minds corrupted. Sod them. Let them actually play one of the games from start to finish. Pefect Dark? Why the Hell was that an 18?

There is no link between media violence and real-life violence. I've been watching violent films and playing games for nearly 10 years and I have never resorted to violence in any situation. It's just Mail on Sunday - hysteria generating, high-horse bull. It's undoubted that violence in the media will affect certain types of people (those who are mentally deficient) but unless you want to live in a facist country where no form of entertainment is allowed, what are you going to do?

Give me Soldier Of Fortune to play and I'll enjoy it as a good shooting game. Give it to some disturbed American psycho with an arsenal of weapons and he'd most likely go on a shooting spree at his local school. Similarly, give me a spoon and I'll eat food with it. Give a spoon to some American psycho with a steak knife set and he'd most likely go on a stabbing spree at his local school, followed by eating their brains with the spoon. The conclusion? Spoons are evil. They should be banned. Should we be talking about violence or the morals that the violence enbodies? Now, if we talk about games like Grand Theft Auto, one can see how the random pointless violence may be seen as offensive. But in games such as Half Life or Max Payne, sure they are violent, but its against evil incarnations and in special circumstances. Violence in games may inspire violence out of games yet the further the game's plot is from the gamer's reality the harder it is for him to translate that violence into the real world.

Ask yourselves this: if games aren't meant to be taken seriously, but are, as such, simple forms of enjoyment, then why would developers make Artificial Intelligence so life like? Hideo Kojima said that with Metal Gear Solid 2 he wasn't trying to glorify violence, but he's certainly glorifying realism, and he knows that, by making Soldiers and Marines smart. A.I. is becoming more realistic everyday, and if games aren't meant to corrupt minds, why are they giving us games where we shoot the limbs off of people who react as any real person would?

Down with ELSPA...and spoons :p
Is there an answer to the violence?

Thanks for reading,
Shaun

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.