GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Journalism"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 06:55
Regular
What is it good for? Hurrgh!

Sorry, I've got the Frankie Goes To Hollywood version playing at the moment, but it seems an appropriate comment.

Back in the early 80s, there were a lot of new computer magazines like Sinclair User coming out. These were usually run by small, independant enthusiasts, they were full of interesting articles about programming, they including code listings, they talked about games and hardware in an excited and independantly enthusiastic way.

If they told you that Frogger for the Spectrum 48k was the bee's knees you went out and bought it, (or most often ordered it via mail), and so it was.

Jump forward 20 years to the present day and what have we got? Well, we've got two major publishers who have quite a monopoly over the Gaming Journalism magazine market, namely Future Publishing (Bath) and Paragon Publishing (Bournemouth).

But with both of them, going through the majority of their titles, I get the impression that it's not really 'news' that they're giving us anymore. Most of the magazines have maybe one or two pages devoted to Jap News/Rumours/Gossip and the rest is a mix of glossy advertisements selling games, or previews and reviews that seem to be 'slightly' influenced by how big a lunch the respective publisher put the impoverished journalist's way.

One outstanding title is Edge Magazine (Future Publishing). Despite its love of the GBA they do tend to focus more on what the developers are up to, how they are doing it, and what possible ramifications some of the results may have on gaming in the future, and they frequently include articles written by major contributers to the industry, giving you a ground zero opinion rather than a third party view.

This, to me, is 'news'. One recent article, for example, opened my eyes to how the major game retailers really pummel the game publisher when it comes to stocking their product, and how the independants were trying to combat them. In some cases (Infogrames was the publisher in question I think), the publisher was actually LOSING money by getting a particular chain to sell its game.

I think that in short, we need more investigative jouralists in the gaming sector rather than the ones that are just trying to sell copy with a snazzy review of a game that I've known about for months already.

Or maybe I'm in a minority and things will carry on as they are.
Fri 08/02/02 at 06:55
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
What is it good for? Hurrgh!

Sorry, I've got the Frankie Goes To Hollywood version playing at the moment, but it seems an appropriate comment.

Back in the early 80s, there were a lot of new computer magazines like Sinclair User coming out. These were usually run by small, independant enthusiasts, they were full of interesting articles about programming, they including code listings, they talked about games and hardware in an excited and independantly enthusiastic way.

If they told you that Frogger for the Spectrum 48k was the bee's knees you went out and bought it, (or most often ordered it via mail), and so it was.

Jump forward 20 years to the present day and what have we got? Well, we've got two major publishers who have quite a monopoly over the Gaming Journalism magazine market, namely Future Publishing (Bath) and Paragon Publishing (Bournemouth).

But with both of them, going through the majority of their titles, I get the impression that it's not really 'news' that they're giving us anymore. Most of the magazines have maybe one or two pages devoted to Jap News/Rumours/Gossip and the rest is a mix of glossy advertisements selling games, or previews and reviews that seem to be 'slightly' influenced by how big a lunch the respective publisher put the impoverished journalist's way.

One outstanding title is Edge Magazine (Future Publishing). Despite its love of the GBA they do tend to focus more on what the developers are up to, how they are doing it, and what possible ramifications some of the results may have on gaming in the future, and they frequently include articles written by major contributers to the industry, giving you a ground zero opinion rather than a third party view.

This, to me, is 'news'. One recent article, for example, opened my eyes to how the major game retailers really pummel the game publisher when it comes to stocking their product, and how the independants were trying to combat them. In some cases (Infogrames was the publisher in question I think), the publisher was actually LOSING money by getting a particular chain to sell its game.

I think that in short, we need more investigative jouralists in the gaming sector rather than the ones that are just trying to sell copy with a snazzy review of a game that I've known about for months already.

Or maybe I'm in a minority and things will carry on as they are.
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:41
Regular
Wha? Wher? But? I thought you had gone??? Back to the subject, i think GJ helps you if you're unsure of the game and no one else has it.
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:45
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
I think magazine coverage of gaming is good, and gives you an insight into the said game, but newspaper coverage of games is generally bad, slating the controversial games and saying how crap the latest game is. Gaming opinions should be kept to the proffesionals, not some newspaper reporter who knows little or nothing about the subject.

As FM said, What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'.

Heh, I love that song. My dad has it on LP I think :p
Fri 08/02/02 at 08:58
Regular
"not dead"
Considering that people get most of their news, reviews and previews from the internet now, a little more investigative journalism in print would be great.

Like uncovering pimping at SR Towers.

"At this point our journalist made his excuses, and left."

Or were you thinking a little more classy than that kind of thing? ;-)
Fri 08/02/02 at 09:45
Regular
"Gaming opinions should be kept to the proffesionals, not some newspaper reporter who knows little or nothing about the subject."

Excuse me?!?!

EVERYONE has an opinion, and EVERYONE's opinions are vaild!

I don't play many games, not compared to some people on here. Does that make my opinion less valid? Does that mean I don't know what sort of games I like?

Everyone can say what games they do and don't like. The real information is in *why* they do or don't like that game.

I could write the best review of a game ever. Would you ignore it just because it's my first review?
Fri 08/02/02 at 10:33
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Agree with this topic in many ways.

I haven't really been inclined to buy many magazines for a few years now, because of the fact that they're full of adverts, previews, and other rather predictable stuff.

Edge on the other hand, really impresses me. I bought a copy yesterday, as it happens. Now, I haven't had time to read it yet, but the main headline on the cover, is about the comeback of Atari. THAT is what I call interesting news. Not whether xyz on the PS2 has been delayed by three days, much to the apparent horror of the rest of the world.

Edge rules.
Fri 08/02/02 at 12:31
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Hey, I still think Frogger for the Spectrum is the bees knees! :D
Fri 08/02/02 at 19:42
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I agree GP. :D
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
yep... buy edge. 'nough said

Sonic
Fri 08/02/02 at 23:32
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Quote from this month's Edge:

"If you haven't held this magazine in your hands before, then welcome aboard - we like to think that what we lack in exclamation mark useage and false exclusivity claims we make up for in unrivaled, honest analysis and a genuine attempt at bringing you the finest, most interesting elements from the videogaming community on a (near) monthly basis."

That says it all, really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.