GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How the hell.."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/02/02 at 01:28
Regular
http://www.theproduct.de/fr08_final.zip

Download it. dont worry about file size, it only 64kb.

I want to know, how?

Thats 15 mins (IIRC) of full 3D animation, music, thousands of colours, in 64kb? wow..

Only thing is, you need at least 50mb of RAM
Sun 10/02/02 at 16:47
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
They wern't midi sounds, my card can't make them, but I could hear the music, so it was definatly audio, didn't sound like low quality MP3, nothing below 90k or it would have sound like it was coming through a wall.
Sun 10/02/02 at 16:45
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fogmaster wrote:
> what about the music then? it wasn't Midi

The music is very simplistic, probably not using sound samples for the instruments, all the instruments appear to be simple sounds that its very easy to program the soundcard to make.

-G
Sat 09/02/02 at 10:39
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
what about the music then? it wasn't Midi
Sat 09/02/02 at 01:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yes luke, and if you did it from /dev/zero you'd have a file that any decent compression algorithm could push into a couple of kb :)
Fri 08/02/02 at 22:47
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fogmaster wrote:
> 1.9Gb into 64Kb??? looks damn good, I don't see how that works, dirty Germans
> making clever things.

Used to be quite interested in stuff like this, messed a bit with programming demos like these.
Well, more like a half truth there I guess. I doubt there was ever 1.9GB of data and they compressed it into 64Kb. :)
Theres lots of little tricks you can use. Like if you've got a 8k texture, you can get your program to apply various algorithms/formulas to make it look different, change the colours, smooth, diffuse it, the list is endless. So you end up with 10 versions of this texture in memory and you say oh I've got 80k of textures. :) If you watch the demo, there aren't many textures anyway, but you can see the same texture which has had transformations done to it.
Another point is that when you know the data you're compressing you can get much better compression on it than eg winzip gets which probably uses generic algorithms to work on all kinds of data.

Something else thats quite easy to lose sight of with games that come with 1 or more CDs these days is that in reality if theres 650meg on the CD, if 5% of that is the actual game code then its a pretty huge game. Most of the space is taken up with graphics, sound and game data, not the actual game code that runs things.

-G
Fri 08/02/02 at 20:36
Regular
"How Handy."
Hm, alright then, winzip. know what i meant.
Fri 08/02/02 at 18:13
> Winamp opens the zip file. The rest is an exe.

Uh, winamp..? Heh.
Fri 08/02/02 at 18:12
A clever little script to present an near-infinite compression algorithm, for anyone who'll get the joke..

#!/bin/bash
cat /dev/urandom > /tmp/foo

Voila. Infinite data out of a 36 byte executable :)
Fri 08/02/02 at 17:52
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
1.9Gb into 64Kb??? looks damn good, I don't see how that works, dirty Germans making clever things.
Fri 08/02/02 at 16:54
Regular
"How Handy."
Winamp opens the zip file. The rest is an exe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.