GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cartoons with Fantasy. I don't think so."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/12/02 at 22:20
Regular
This year, Square and Disney joined forces to make the most unlikely game ever made. A Final Fantasy-esque RPG with the charm and magic of Disney. I n my point of view I asked how is it possible? We all know that Disney's games are well below par (in other words, crap) including the recently released Disney Golf. However, it is a good game and in Japan has now sold more than a million copies.
If you look at FAQ sites like GameFAQs.com you will see that it is number 3 on most visited FAQs in the PS2 chart. But I now ask this question; will another cross between fantasy and cartoons work. In my opinion I do not think so, but I would certainly like to hear someone who thinks that is one.
If they do think of one it will fail because of these reasons. Firstly, it would be something that would appeal mainly to kids and not everyone. Besides, Disney is the only kids animation that we like. Japaneese manga will certainly not go into fantasy as it is too manic and crazy and cartoony. The transition would be difficult.
Secondly, there would be no gameplay ideas to suit cartoons. For example, if it was Japaneese Manga, the best weapon you could have is kung-fu. No weapons, potions etc. Cartoon films like Anastacia and traditional RPGs like Summoner would not mix because of Summoner's shere different style of gameplay to other RPGs.
So to conclude this discussion, do not ever come up with an idea to mix Final Fantasy X-2 with Rugrats or Suikoden with Cow & Chicken or The Smurfs with Wild Arms. The fact is that none of these would work and will therefore fail and possibly get 3/10s or something like that. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.
Thu 26/12/02 at 22:20
Regular
This year, Square and Disney joined forces to make the most unlikely game ever made. A Final Fantasy-esque RPG with the charm and magic of Disney. I n my point of view I asked how is it possible? We all know that Disney's games are well below par (in other words, crap) including the recently released Disney Golf. However, it is a good game and in Japan has now sold more than a million copies.
If you look at FAQ sites like GameFAQs.com you will see that it is number 3 on most visited FAQs in the PS2 chart. But I now ask this question; will another cross between fantasy and cartoons work. In my opinion I do not think so, but I would certainly like to hear someone who thinks that is one.
If they do think of one it will fail because of these reasons. Firstly, it would be something that would appeal mainly to kids and not everyone. Besides, Disney is the only kids animation that we like. Japaneese manga will certainly not go into fantasy as it is too manic and crazy and cartoony. The transition would be difficult.
Secondly, there would be no gameplay ideas to suit cartoons. For example, if it was Japaneese Manga, the best weapon you could have is kung-fu. No weapons, potions etc. Cartoon films like Anastacia and traditional RPGs like Summoner would not mix because of Summoner's shere different style of gameplay to other RPGs.
So to conclude this discussion, do not ever come up with an idea to mix Final Fantasy X-2 with Rugrats or Suikoden with Cow & Chicken or The Smurfs with Wild Arms. The fact is that none of these would work and will therefore fail and possibly get 3/10s or something like that. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be glad to hear them.
Thu 26/12/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
I take it by what you have writen that you have not yet played 'Kingdom Hearts' the game that is made by Squarsoft and Disney, which is an excellent game. Most Square games are RPGs, so is this game, and the stories work well, the idea is to mix the worlds of the many films and characters within the games, cartoons and films together to tell a story. In this case it works. But i think you are mixing the whole idea up, although the story does involve characters from both Final Fantasy titles and Disney movies they interact with new characters that are designed for the game. Of course this game may ony be a one off.

Willyum
Fri 27/12/02 at 13:13
Regular
U 2 have excellent spelling and grammar i usually do but not at 12pm midnight.
Fri 27/12/02 at 15:59
"possibly impossible"
um. Manga wouldn't work? How about Oni? I know it wasn't a great game but it worked (I personally think it's fun). So why wouldn't it work as a fantasy game?

In fact, Final Fantasy is pretty close to manga style cartoons and they even turned it in to a cartoon, which proves my point. Manga only using kung-fu? ok, I'm trying to think of an anime film without weapons.

Warner Bros characters would actually work quite well too, though anime would be the ideal option.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.