GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Improving ranking by use of Google Site Maps"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 23/08/07 at 18:51
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I hope this is the right forum for this question: I have used the python script suggested by Google to build a site map file called "Config.xml" for my site, hoping to improve my site's ranking, with my base url in all the required places, and posted it on the remote server, but while Google acknowledges the existence of the site map, it is rejecting it on the grounds that it does not conform to their protocol, which I find odd, as it was built with their script. Can anyone assist, please?
Sat 25/08/07 at 07:48
Regular
"Become a veteran"
Garin, I raise my hat to you. I went through the 4 steps on the www.xml-sitemaps.com site that you recommended, and just as you said, it could not have been simpler. Google has accepted my site map and I hope soon to see the benefits. Thanks for being there.
Fri 24/08/07 at 16:26
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
oldun wrote:
> Garin, I visited the sitemap.xml link you
> kindly provided and the forum is full of horror stories of
> people who gave up because they could not follow the
> instructions. It certainly seemed over my head. I am not sure
> which way to turn now, but thank you both for your patience.

Umm....not sure what it is you're looking at. On the front page of xml-sitemaps.com is the 4 easy steps to generate a sitemap. You can pretty much enter your url and press start. I dont think it could get any simpler. The only reason that wont be sufficient is if your site is large (500+ pages).
Fri 24/08/07 at 16:12
Regular
"Become a veteran"
Thanks Hmmmm. I got the correct path from my ISP but it is not at all clear where to use it as the substitutions do no seem to be apples for apples and pears for pears so to speak. I am inclined to share your view that I don't need a site map (because all my sub pages are accessed by old-fashioned hyperlinks) but Google said I should use one if I wanted to improve my ranking. Garin, I visited the sitemap.xml link you kindly provided and the forum is full of horror stories of people who gave up because they could not follow the instructions. It certainly seemed over my head. I am not sure which way to turn now, but thank you both for your patience.
Fri 24/08/07 at 15:53
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Looks to be quite a few things wrong with it in addition to the store_in that Hmmm... already mentioned. To be honest, I'd be inclined to use http://www.xml-sitemaps.com instead to build your sitemap rather than using the manual method.
Fri 24/08/07 at 15:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi oldun,
It looks to me as if you need to change the store_into field.
I'm guessing this will need to be the full path to your server, see this page for details: [URL]http://freeola.com/support/webspace_cgi.php[/URL]

NB. You mention in your original post that you are hoping that adding a Google sitemap will improved your ranking.

To my knowledge a sitemap will only 'help' Google find all your pages to get them in the index, it won't actually improve the site's ranking.

If all your pages are well linked using normal methods (i.e. not JavaScript or Flash) then Google and the other SEs will crawl your site without any problem, or need for a sitemap.

Hope that helps.
Search Freeola Chat
Fri 24/08/07 at 11:43
Regular
"Become a veteran"
Hi Garin: Thanks for your interest.
Here is the config.xml script which is posted to my /htdocs folder on the remote server (I have disguised the url for this enquiry).

base_url="http://www.PEP.co.uk/"
store_into="/var/www/docroot/sitemap.xml.gz"
verbose="1"
>

href="http://www.PEP.co.uk/stats?q=age"
lastmod="YYYY-MM-DDT01:00:00-07:00"
changefreq="daily"
priority="0.5"
/>

path="/var/www/docroot"
url="http://www.PEP.co.uk/"
default_file="index.php"
/>

End of script.
Thu 23/08/07 at 19:20
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Would help to see the xml file I guess. Alternatively you could try something like this to build the sitemap instead.
Thu 23/08/07 at 18:51
Regular
"Become a veteran"
I hope this is the right forum for this question: I have used the python script suggested by Google to build a site map file called "Config.xml" for my site, hoping to improve my site's ranking, with my base url in all the required places, and posted it on the remote server, but while Google acknowledges the existence of the site map, it is rejecting it on the grounds that it does not conform to their protocol, which I find odd, as it was built with their script. Can anyone assist, please?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.