GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"World war two: could an influential speaker really make a country turn to genecide"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 07/02/02 at 15:32
Regular
Hitler, considered the most charasmatic speaking man in the 1800s-1900s. Millions of games have spawned from world war two including wolfenstein and Medal of Honour.
Could one man cause all this to come to face or was the time just right. POst your views here
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:22
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Don't flatter psycot. He's only doing this because we saw a video on the Nazi party's rise and fall in school a week ago.
Fri 08/02/02 at 22:28
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
loki wrote:
> I'm sorry, but the guy's question was
> a perfectly valid one if you ask me.

Sorry, it annoyed me a little as to the need to namedrop computer games into a discussion of a man who if not perpetrated, at least encouraged by his vision one of the worst atrocities ever seen.
Fri 08/02/02 at 16:31
Regular
The thing that annoys me is that we're taught at school that Hitler was a "bad guy" (for wont of a better phrase) and yet our Empire was "just and fair".

When in fact it was us that used concentration camps first, Hitler merely borrowed the idea.

Why are we not taught that our own country has done acts just as horrific as Hitler did during the second world war?

Going on to the main point, I think the time was right. As has already been mentioned there was major economic downturn in the early 30's (the drepression was 1931, I think?) and a huge amount of resentment for the rest of europe from the German people, as Loki has already said.
Fri 08/02/02 at 10:31
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
Belldandy wrote:
> You're an idiot. "time just
> right" ? Thats sick ! Try going back to school and actually listening to
> history lessons....

Yes, the time coud ave been right. Economic downturn, feelings of resentment after the First World War, growing sympathies for extremist causes (both left and right wing). The time could have been right for an a fascist party to exploit Germany's political situation of the time, with or without a leader with a vision of European domination. What exactly is sick about that?

Try thinking before you criticise, instead of listening uquestioningly to what you're told at school. History is not about learning facts and causes by heart and repeating them. It is about learning to question, analyse and think for yourself. Just like Psycot332 has done here.
Fri 08/02/02 at 10:23
Staff Moderator
"may catch fire"
misterhappy wrote:
> That is a mind-numbingly narrow view of what is an >
> incredibly complex subject.

I'm sorry, but the guy's question was a perfectly valid one if you ask me. He wasn't trying to analyse the establishment of the Nazi regime, he was asking whether one man can change the tide of history. And the role of charismatic figures in history is significant. The cult of personality was a vital facet of fascist propaganda.

When I was at school, history was the story of world leaders. Revisionist historians have tended to downplay the influence of individuals in favour of socio-econnomic trends. There is a balance to be struck here.

My degree was in Modern European History and this is a question which divides a lot of the work I read. It is a fundamental question that goes to the heart of the debate over historical method and probably deserves reasonable discussion.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:56
Regular
psycot332 wrote:
If,
> the war had not happened, would we have the same racial respect for people that
> we have now?

Racial Respect? Still a huge problem last time I checked.
Thu 07/02/02 at 22:49
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
That is a mind-numbingly narrow view of what is an incredibly complex subject. There is still debate as to whether Hitler was a dynamic leader or just let a Darwinian system of officials working towards his will operate beneath him in ordered chaos. It's not as simple as Hitler being a charismatic speaker. You have to take into account the political system that had preceded him, the treaty of Versailles that had ended World War I and provided an unshakeable slur on the subsequent democracy established. You have to considered the massive compensation that Germany was forced to pay, and the role of the constantly shifting power struggle that went on within the Weimar Democracy. On top of that you have a whole can of worms about the extent to which people actually supported hitler. There is a great deal of evidence that Hitler was not so much widely supported, as not widely disliked. There is a subtle distinction there; it meant that while people did not condone Hitler's actions, they did not condemn them either.

Hitler's rise to power has been unsuccessfully analysed in books of 1000's of pages, ao how you hope to address it in a post of a few lines is quite beyond me.
Thu 07/02/02 at 21:23
Regular
"Was Melancholy"
psycot332 wrote:
> Hitler, considered the most charasmatic speaking man in the 1800s-1900s.
> Millions of games have spawned from world war two including wolfenstein and
> Medal of Honour.
Could one man cause all this to come to face or was the time
> just right. Post your views here

If, the war had not happened, would we have the same racial respect for people that we have now? Thats what I meant. Not as in it should have happened
Thu 07/02/02 at 16:50
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
psycot332 wrote:
Could one man cause all this to come to face or was the time
> just right. POst your views here

You're an idiot. "time just right" ? Thats sick ! Try going back to school and actually listening to history lessons....
Thu 07/02/02 at 15:32
Regular
"Was Melancholy"
Hitler, considered the most charasmatic speaking man in the 1800s-1900s. Millions of games have spawned from world war two including wolfenstein and Medal of Honour.
Could one man cause all this to come to face or was the time just right. POst your views here

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.