GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Films and Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/02/02 at 18:30
Regular
These two things, films and games, are two of the main forms of entertainment in our lives today. Which one is more entertaining though? Films can send lots of emotions through your body. They can make you laugh, cry, scared, hopeful, angry and lots more things. Games can have the same effect on a person, so which one is more entertaining. One of the deciding factors could be freedom.

Games allow a certain degree of freedom. For example, in most games you control the outcome, the character and what the character does. Films are different. Most, if not all films have a set outcome. The script is set and cannot be changed. Is that why some people prefer games, if you can compare films to games? Do we want to see more freedom with the introduction of the DVD and DVD features? Some DVD’s have extra features, which allow you to choose different endings. Could one day they make a film where you control the destiny of the character? Or if you could make a film like that would it just be classified as a game?

Games and films can be made into films and games. One example of this is the Tomb Raider games have now been made into a film and there is now a Final Fantasy film based on the popular computer game series. Is it good to convert games into films and vice versa? If we have played the game and loved it do we really need it to be made into a film? I think its good for games to be made into films and vice versa. There are so many great games around and I think that if they could be made into films they would still be great. For example, Metal Gear Solid 2 would make a great film and Grand Theft Auto 3 would make an excellent gangster film. Moving on from this I think that only certain types of games can be made into films. Only action and adventure games have much potential as films, because it would be very hard to convert such games as strategy games. There have been lots of films and TV series that have been made into games. One good example is the Star Wars games. The film was epic and lots of games have been created. All in all the games have been of a good standard. Another example is the Disney games. Lots of Disney games have been created as a result of the Films and books. Some of the games created from the films have been good, some have been bad; but do films give the inspiration to some game designers to make classic games? I bet some games have been based on films that the game designers have seen, but we just haven’t been told.

To sum up I believe it’s healthy for games and films to be linked. They are very much in the same genre because of their entertainment value. Films inspire games; games inspire films. So as long as top class titles can keep coming out it doesn’t matter whether they were based on a film or based on a game.
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:07
The people player put:
>Putting a film such as Mummy returns as a game but The mummy return was not all based the film I think that a bit true but hey whatta ya gonna say about it?

Think youve missed some words out, i cant understand your point. Do you mean the game wasnt entirley bassed on the film?
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:07
I don't see the point in Tomb Raider the movie because it will never be like the game.
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:04
Putting a film such as Mummy returns as a game but The mummy return was not all based the film I think that a bit true but hey whatta ya gonna say about it?
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:01
Too damn True mon!
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:01
Just generally discussing the topic of films and games from all angles
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:59
So what are you saying.
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:30
These two things, films and games, are two of the main forms of entertainment in our lives today. Which one is more entertaining though? Films can send lots of emotions through your body. They can make you laugh, cry, scared, hopeful, angry and lots more things. Games can have the same effect on a person, so which one is more entertaining. One of the deciding factors could be freedom.

Games allow a certain degree of freedom. For example, in most games you control the outcome, the character and what the character does. Films are different. Most, if not all films have a set outcome. The script is set and cannot be changed. Is that why some people prefer games, if you can compare films to games? Do we want to see more freedom with the introduction of the DVD and DVD features? Some DVD’s have extra features, which allow you to choose different endings. Could one day they make a film where you control the destiny of the character? Or if you could make a film like that would it just be classified as a game?

Games and films can be made into films and games. One example of this is the Tomb Raider games have now been made into a film and there is now a Final Fantasy film based on the popular computer game series. Is it good to convert games into films and vice versa? If we have played the game and loved it do we really need it to be made into a film? I think its good for games to be made into films and vice versa. There are so many great games around and I think that if they could be made into films they would still be great. For example, Metal Gear Solid 2 would make a great film and Grand Theft Auto 3 would make an excellent gangster film. Moving on from this I think that only certain types of games can be made into films. Only action and adventure games have much potential as films, because it would be very hard to convert such games as strategy games. There have been lots of films and TV series that have been made into games. One good example is the Star Wars games. The film was epic and lots of games have been created. All in all the games have been of a good standard. Another example is the Disney games. Lots of Disney games have been created as a result of the Films and books. Some of the games created from the films have been good, some have been bad; but do films give the inspiration to some game designers to make classic games? I bet some games have been based on films that the game designers have seen, but we just haven’t been told.

To sum up I believe it’s healthy for games and films to be linked. They are very much in the same genre because of their entertainment value. Films inspire games; games inspire films. So as long as top class titles can keep coming out it doesn’t matter whether they were based on a film or based on a game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.