GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming Entices"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/02/02 at 16:04
Regular
Ah, a lovely word to name the topic-Entices. Wonderful.

Anyway, what does entice mean? Well, unless I’m completely insane (we’ll come to this point later) I guess it sort of means attractive. If something is enticing, it's something you want to have a look at, something you want to have. In my view, gaming is enticing. It draws you in, no matter how detached you think you are. Do I have any proof this? As a matter of fact, yes, I do.

A few months ago one of my mates, we’ll call him Fat Pants for now, came over to my house. As always we chatted for a bit, and then it was off for a game on the PS2. Now, Fat Pants had owned a PlayStation, but was thinking of selling it because he never played it. After a few battles on Red Faction and Zone Of The Enders, as well as few fights on Tekken Tag Tournament, I asked him,

“So, Fat Pants, you getting a PS2?”

“Nah, I’ve grown out of gaming,” was his reply.

I nodded, pretending to understand. However, he was wrong. You don’t just ‘grow out of gaming.’ I didn’t tell him this at the time, but I was proven right a few weeks ago. He came into school and said to me,

“Oh, I got a PS2 yesterday with SSX Tricky.”

“But I thought you’d grown out of gaming?” I said, a smug smile forming across my face.

“Yeah, well…”

So, Fat Pants now has a PS2, and he continues to play on it everyday. He doesn’t seem to have grown out of gaming…

Here’s another example, for those of you who are still dubious. Another one of my friends, we’ll call him Wolfgang for the time being, owned an N64. He’d liked it, and was proud of his purchase, but after a while he became bored of his games (no surprises there then ;)) He didn’t play for a few months, and where as before he’s said he wanted a GameCube, now he didn’t want any new games consoles. In other words he’d grown out of gaming, and wanted to do more ‘fashionable’ things, like going out more places. I scoffed. Where are you supposed to go? You’re 14 years old. Maybe you can take a train up to the Shopping Centre everyday!! Oooooh!!
Sounds boring to me.

A couple of weeks ago, he came into school with a beaming smile, “Hey Ant, I got a PS2 yesterday. I got Tony Hawk’s 3 with it, and I’m getting Max Payne soon.”

Did this shock me? Not in the least. After all, you might think that you’re a non-gamer, and that they’re too childish for you, not in with the ‘fashion. But in the end you realise something. Games ARE the current fashion! Everyone owns some sort of games console, or has games on their PC. Video games are a step forward in technology (to an extent), and supposedly they’re going to improve all the time. You can’t escape gaming, it’s everywhere! Adverts all over the TV, people talking about the latest new releases, massive discussion forums like these, all just for one word; gaming.

Games are meant to be fun. I mean, what’s better? Standing around the high street in the freezing cold, doing nothing but occasionally chatting to your friends and causing trouble for people walking along. Or, inviting your mates round for a good old games session! 4 players on WWF Smackdown and No Mercy, mass multiplayer action on Goldeneye or Perfect Dark! Why not try and complete a single player game by doing a level/part/mission at a time? As long as you haven’t stolen the games or the console, then you’re not making trouble for society and you’re enjoying yourself!

Okay, so maybe you don’t get to play games as much when you have a busy life. But I reckon most people would still have the odd go, and anyone who says they’ve ‘grown out of gaming’ will realise they are wrong, when they’re bringing up their brand-spanking new PS2/GameCube/GBA/X-Box to the counter.

So why is gaming so popular nowadays? Because it’s fun? Yes, that’s definitely a reason. Stops you from getting bored? Yep, I reckon that’s a cause. You can play it from the comfort of your own home, without having to take a disgusting train somewhere? Most certainly. If you put all these aspects, and the many more that exist, then you will see why gaming has become so big. Because gaming…entices.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS-Those of you willing to argue about my sanity can do so on the FOG Chat Forum, where insanity rules.
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:04
Regular
"I like cheese"
Ah, a lovely word to name the topic-Entices. Wonderful.

Anyway, what does entice mean? Well, unless I’m completely insane (we’ll come to this point later) I guess it sort of means attractive. If something is enticing, it's something you want to have a look at, something you want to have. In my view, gaming is enticing. It draws you in, no matter how detached you think you are. Do I have any proof this? As a matter of fact, yes, I do.

A few months ago one of my mates, we’ll call him Fat Pants for now, came over to my house. As always we chatted for a bit, and then it was off for a game on the PS2. Now, Fat Pants had owned a PlayStation, but was thinking of selling it because he never played it. After a few battles on Red Faction and Zone Of The Enders, as well as few fights on Tekken Tag Tournament, I asked him,

“So, Fat Pants, you getting a PS2?”

“Nah, I’ve grown out of gaming,” was his reply.

I nodded, pretending to understand. However, he was wrong. You don’t just ‘grow out of gaming.’ I didn’t tell him this at the time, but I was proven right a few weeks ago. He came into school and said to me,

“Oh, I got a PS2 yesterday with SSX Tricky.”

“But I thought you’d grown out of gaming?” I said, a smug smile forming across my face.

“Yeah, well…”

So, Fat Pants now has a PS2, and he continues to play on it everyday. He doesn’t seem to have grown out of gaming…

Here’s another example, for those of you who are still dubious. Another one of my friends, we’ll call him Wolfgang for the time being, owned an N64. He’d liked it, and was proud of his purchase, but after a while he became bored of his games (no surprises there then ;)) He didn’t play for a few months, and where as before he’s said he wanted a GameCube, now he didn’t want any new games consoles. In other words he’d grown out of gaming, and wanted to do more ‘fashionable’ things, like going out more places. I scoffed. Where are you supposed to go? You’re 14 years old. Maybe you can take a train up to the Shopping Centre everyday!! Oooooh!!
Sounds boring to me.

A couple of weeks ago, he came into school with a beaming smile, “Hey Ant, I got a PS2 yesterday. I got Tony Hawk’s 3 with it, and I’m getting Max Payne soon.”

Did this shock me? Not in the least. After all, you might think that you’re a non-gamer, and that they’re too childish for you, not in with the ‘fashion. But in the end you realise something. Games ARE the current fashion! Everyone owns some sort of games console, or has games on their PC. Video games are a step forward in technology (to an extent), and supposedly they’re going to improve all the time. You can’t escape gaming, it’s everywhere! Adverts all over the TV, people talking about the latest new releases, massive discussion forums like these, all just for one word; gaming.

Games are meant to be fun. I mean, what’s better? Standing around the high street in the freezing cold, doing nothing but occasionally chatting to your friends and causing trouble for people walking along. Or, inviting your mates round for a good old games session! 4 players on WWF Smackdown and No Mercy, mass multiplayer action on Goldeneye or Perfect Dark! Why not try and complete a single player game by doing a level/part/mission at a time? As long as you haven’t stolen the games or the console, then you’re not making trouble for society and you’re enjoying yourself!

Okay, so maybe you don’t get to play games as much when you have a busy life. But I reckon most people would still have the odd go, and anyone who says they’ve ‘grown out of gaming’ will realise they are wrong, when they’re bringing up their brand-spanking new PS2/GameCube/GBA/X-Box to the counter.

So why is gaming so popular nowadays? Because it’s fun? Yes, that’s definitely a reason. Stops you from getting bored? Yep, I reckon that’s a cause. You can play it from the comfort of your own home, without having to take a disgusting train somewhere? Most certainly. If you put all these aspects, and the many more that exist, then you will see why gaming has become so big. Because gaming…entices.

Thanks for reading, Ant.

PS-Those of you willing to argue about my sanity can do so on the FOG Chat Forum, where insanity rules.
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:07
Regular
Goatboy came out with a great quote a while back...:

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I want to stay as young as I can for the rest of my life, and I don't care what people think. If I'm happy, and the people I care about are happy, then that's all that matters to me.

There seems to be a strange temptation to "mature" when you're around your age... but at that age, you haven't really got a clue what "maturity" means. :0)
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:14
Regular
Actually, saying that, I don't think MY age knows what maturity is either...

Tenby, you may of heard of... supposed to be the second best place for nightclubs and crap in Britain. I think it's crap.

I don't really enjoy it at all, and I make this very clear to anyone who's interested. I'd rather stay in, or in a pub, and drink in there. Much better, you don't get deaf from crappy music, and you get a pool table too.

So, along comes a friends birthday. "We're going out to the nightclubs, do you want to come?"

I say yeah, of course, it's your birthday. He knows how I feel about it anyway, but I'll go out for him, more of a respect thing really.

Later on, find out he doesn't really enjoy going out there anyway. I ask why the hell he goes out, then.

"Because that's the thing you do."

Sodding hell. People just do things because that's what everyone else does? I don't give a fun if people think I'm boring because I don't pay twenty pounds to lose my hearing every Saturday.

Winter sucks, actually. The only thing worth doing in my opinion is staying in, getting drunk, and watching films.

Roll on summer, and the beaches.
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:21
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Goatboy came out with a great quote a while back...:

You don't stop playing
> because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I want to stay
> as young as I can for the rest of my life, and I don't care what people think.
> If I'm happy, and the people I care about are happy, then that's all that
> matters to me.

There seems to be a strange temptation to "mature"
> when you're around your age... but at that age, you haven't really got a clue
> what "maturity" means. :0)

-------------

Very right.... :D
Wed 06/02/02 at 18:17
Regular
"I like cheese"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Actually, saying that, I don't think MY age knows what maturity is
> either...

Tenby, you may of heard of... supposed to be the second best place
> for nightclubs and crap in Britain. I think it's crap.

I don't really enjoy
> it at all, and I make this very clear to anyone who's interested. I'd rather
> stay in, or in a pub, and drink in there. Much better, you don't get deaf from
> crappy music, and you get a pool table too.

Heh, I totally agree. Nightclubs suck in my view, I'd much rather just go to the cinema for my birthday.

The maturity thing is right too, Darkness_2k told me that one of my mates didn't want to play games because he wanted to do 'older' stuff like go to nightclubs etc.
Wed 06/02/02 at 19:07
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Fat pants? Wolfgang? ah well its your imagination.... :D

Yeah, obviously I agree, as we discussed these people today.

Maturity? night clubs?

Give me RtCW any day :D
Wed 06/02/02 at 22:29
Regular
"I like cheese"
Darkness_2K wrote:
> Fat pants? Wolfgang? ah well its your imagination.... :D

Yeah, obviously I
> agree, as we discussed these people today.

Maturity? night clubs?

Give me
> RtCW any day :D

Yes, it is my imagination. Fat Pants I came up with when I was young, and Wolfgang was an inspiration from a terribly dull German lesson earlier today.

Oh yes, and I agree.

Killing mutant Nazi zombies is much better than going to some stupid nightclub.
Wed 06/02/02 at 22:39
Regular
Erm why?

I am 16 and i know no one that has "grown out of gaming" most treat it as a passtime and others see it as sad.
Thu 07/02/02 at 08:32
Regular
"I like cheese"
Dringo wrote:
> Erm why?

I am 16 and i know no one that has "grown out of gaming"
> most treat it as a passtime and others see it as sad.

Well, you're obviously weird then. {:)
Thu 07/02/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Grix Thraves wrote:

Tenby, you may of heard of... supposed to be the second best place
> for nightclubs and crap in Britain.

Good God!! The country needs help.
Wheres first? Skegness? (spelling?)

London rocks (although i have now moved to live in north wales) :S

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.