GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rts game idea"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 29/12/02 at 10:20
Regular
hey i was thinking about doing a game which combines Rts and Fps. so like while you arre playing you can posses one of the units on the battlefield. a bit like Dungeon Keeper 2 except Sci fi with better graphics.
Mon 06/01/03 at 20:26
Regular
"The World is Dead"
yeah I know. It bugs me to death having all theese sequals which as a rule hardly ever as good as there predessors. an exception to this would be the GTA series which have been going from strength to strength.

I like seeing the companies working on revamps of old games. Its gives it some of the old flavour. I especially think they should make a few more 2d side-scrollers. The only thing they seem to do is 3D games which takes some of the arcade quality out of the games.

It seems like they're pandering to the people who love nout but graphics. Most of my freinds are like that. their obbsessed with graphics. so introduced them to Zelda 3 A Link to the Past on a SNES emulator. And all of them agree It kicks games like final fantasy 8 up the bum (is that ok censors). Shame is now there completely obsessed with old SNES games and they seem incapanle to do it on there own. I'm bombarded with e-mails asking what site can I get games from. Is there any good rom sites. Why doesn't this work, can my system handle this.

IT GETS ON MY NERVES.

I give out a load of offensive e-mails telling them to shut up (or the equivalent). It stops for a week. then It happens again.

MUST STOP RANTING
Sat 04/01/03 at 20:12
Regular
"I see you"
The reason it's not been done is because people are just interested in doing sequels these days (an old saying that gives my age away). If i had the financial backing and experience, i'd do so many games and i come onto this forum for ideas.
Thu 02/01/03 at 20:27
Regular
"The World is Dead"
Thanks.

The actual game idea jusot sort of hit me one day.
i thought hey wouldn't this be good.
I started chatting t my mates. Idrew all there ideas and then moulded them into one.
so I didn't forget them I wrote them down in a sort of project breif.
which i posted yesterday. It just feels right somehow.
It's really a shame no-ones done it. but now we deffinately have the technology so why not.
Wed 01/01/03 at 23:21
Regular
"I see you"
Ah now you've explained it a little more it sounds good. I especially like the part where you can slip past the enemy but if you sent a scout out on his own he would probably be seen.
Wed 01/01/03 at 21:44
Regular
"The World is Dead"
here is a half finished description

single player based RTS (real time strategy) with a FPS (first person shooter) element. Such as while playing the game you can switch to unit mode where you look through the eyes of a unit in your command and have direct control over that particular unit.

For example this is useful if you want to send this unit in as a scout and need more complex controls to get it past the enemy defences.

The battlefield will be a 3D construct simulating ground-based combat with formable terrain.

The camera will be a 360-degree turning circle and will be able to zoom in and out of the battlefield. Making for an extremely versatile control system and no restriction to viewable area.

The game size is going to be of epic size spanning an entire galaxy and the thousands of inhabitable planets. With five very different armies and varying technology levels which develop as you win more battles and conquer technologically advanced planets. With a completely open plan play base you can will be able to play differently every time.

Also included will be a skirmish mode, which can use every map in the entire game and can also be used to play your favourite scenarios.

A 3d-map maker will be included with game for skirmishes.

The game will be completely available for mods so that players can enhance the game however they like.

A multiplayer skirmish mode will probably be included for increased playability.

The AI will be reactive to player movements and will have different settings of difficulty.

A complex physics engine will be included and unit damage will be realistic. Unlike command and conquer where a missile hit on a person will only do minor damage on this game a rocket will kill people and lots if they are in groups.

Diplomacy will be added so that you can have cease-fires between you and enemies for a short while or work out a tariff for which the previous government will be able to maintain command but pay you in services.

A pause function in which you can instruct units and they will then do it after the pause will be included so that you can keep up with AI movements.

There will be a large amount of resource management included for a more tactical mode to the game requiring you to protect your resource gathering ability while still attacking the enemy.

Each planet will have a varying amount of missions depending on how financially or tactically important the planet is. Because of course more enemy forces will be guarding better planets. But it is not necessary to employ violence to conquer a planet. If you take over key planets others will be intimidated into joining you. Especially the less advanced or the more corrupt planets. Others may just need you to support a revolt on the planetary leaders.

Planets that have been taken can still be of use after being conquered. Examples are money flow and production capabilities.

A random element will be introduced where local life forms will attack units of either side.

Three levels of combat will be freely available throughout each mission by simply pressing a button on the command interface. The three modes will consist of a standard RTS mode, A first person mode and a third person mode which is a mix between the two. Being able to order units around to a high degree than in the FPS view whilst still having full control over a singular unit but less targeting ability.

There will be a huge variety of units. From the lowly infantryman to a skyscraper sized nuclear-armed Titan capable of flattening entire armies.
Sun 29/12/02 at 16:39
Regular
"I see you"
Pheat wrote:
> hey i was thinking about doing a game which combines Rts and Fps. so
> like while you are playing you can posses one of the units on the
> battlefield. a bit like Dungeon Keeper 2 except Sci fi with better
> graphics.

This has already been done and the games are called BattleZone 1 & 2.
Sun 29/12/02 at 10:20
Regular
"The World is Dead"
hey i was thinking about doing a game which combines Rts and Fps. so like while you arre playing you can posses one of the units on the battlefield. a bit like Dungeon Keeper 2 except Sci fi with better graphics.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.