GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Westwood Pull It Off?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/02/02 at 20:37
Regular
Westwood's first foray into not only the full on 3D enviroment we all know and love but into also the cut throat world of the FPS genre. Where one game can be king and where one can only look up from the mud below wishing it wore the crown. I really have my doubts about just how well this is going to fit into the well built foundations of the ever so popular C&C universe.

We all know just how much there was to do in C&C as a strategy game. It was great. When it sometimes felt that there was just so much going on your head would explode at the mere thought of having to hold out another five minutes from a full on attack from opposing armies. But how will this tension and tactical thinking translate into a well rounded first timer FPS?. Ok, so you'll be running around blowing up buildings and mowing down wave after wave of parachuting henchman but we STILL want the strategy and the tactical behaviour styles were so used to. Don't we? So, its a whole new game style but why should that really matter? Stripping it down to the very barest bones of what makes C&C what it is so that it can be played as a shooter? I just dont know.

I seriously hope that the big W have something very, very special up their sleeves in terms of gameplay because IMHO the graphics really do not bare anything, looking at when compared to what else is just around the corner. Someone just one day at Westwood had the bright idea of picking up the C&C universe and dropping it into a massive single player FPS enviroment - the end results and if he keeps his job there are yet to be seen. It may be more like the bones of Deus Ex, since they're trying to allow for a nice wide range of tactics, though possilby it will be even LESS prescriptive then DE, because in DE you were usually limited to only a couple of ways of doing things. (If JC came up against a guard tower, it'd either be sneaking or sniping, really, that would get him past it. In Renegade, you could also go off and borrow a Mammoth Tank)

We have to remember that this IS a different type of game, it's not an attempt to make C&C into a shooter, it's an attempt to put a shooter in the world of C&C. You won't have "the same kind" of tactical thinking, beyond maybe a few core rules (destroy power plants to end the menace) but you will have to have NEW tactics, based around you, what you have at hand, and how to kill off a hundred soldiers with only a pea shooter and hijacked Flame Tank for company. If Westwood pull this off, then this is going to be one hell of a game, but Westwood are going to have trouble to do this and then stand up to the other FPS games coming out. Also, the videos of it dont give out a good impression, so personally I can't see it doing itself justice. However, graphics do not always make a game. Westwood ALWAYS aim at as low a system spec as they can possibly manage, because they know that a good 80% of people can't keep up upgrading, and won't have the least kit to play on.

I think this is going to come down to the age old graphics .vs. gameplay issue upon its release. As some games have one or the other, and where some even get blessed with both. Renegade needs to be sure to deliver some of that old Westwood magic, but this time in a genre they are not familiar with. From what I have seen of Renegade video wise, you can tell its a first attempt at the FPS genre which should I guess be commended. But overall Westwood must surely be banking mainly on the C&C name to sell it with so many other high profile and obviously far superior FPS titles coming out this year also.

Thanks for reading,
Shaun
Wed 06/02/02 at 16:42
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
slaveunit wrote:
> "Yo big up baby it's the ten top ten at ten of ten ten
> ten."

"Holler! Swallow!"

He is about as hip-hop as my
> socks.

i dig ya i dig ya.

big up to yall
Wed 06/02/02 at 13:27
Regular
"I confused?"
Westwood the games manufufacture or the gangster hip hop style rappers.
Wed 06/02/02 at 11:26
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
Isn't it strange how we all hate Tim Westwood, yet we're all 'Down Wid It'. It's rather scary how everyone knows the language.
Wed 06/02/02 at 11:10
Regular
God I hate Tim Westwood the silly old Wigga.

"Definetly man everythings really big, i'm feeling dis, everythings really jumping off tonight"
Wed 06/02/02 at 11:08
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
"Yo big up baby it's the ten top ten at ten of ten ten ten."

"Holler! Swallow!"

He is about as hip-hop as my socks.
Wed 06/02/02 at 10:53
Regular
"Stud-muffin!!"
slaveunit wrote:
> I saw this thread and was hoping it would be about that Radio 1 tool, Tim
> Westwood, pulling his own head off.

But it was about gaming. Shame, Tim W
> pulling his own head off would have been a real victory for humankind.

Yo man, I'm feelin you, that's what's going down, big up!

.....y kno, I agree with you entirely.
Wed 06/02/02 at 10:48
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I saw this thread and was hoping it would be about that Radio 1 tool, Tim Westwood, pulling his own head off.

But it was about gaming. Shame, Tim W pulling his own head off would have been a real victory for humankind.
Tue 05/02/02 at 23:25
Regular
"everyone says it"
Silent85 wrote:
> it got 77% not very good for a fps it says or something like that

Same rating as MGS2

*chuckles*
Tue 05/02/02 at 21:39
it got 77% not very good for a fps it says or something like that
Tue 05/02/02 at 21:27
Regular
"That's right!"
~Resurection~ wrote:
> well westwood C&C games have mainly been good, i hope it's just not more of
> the same though.

anyone got any sites with good screen shots?

I've been getting all my info from www.pczone.co.uk

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.