GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 or X box?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/02/02 at 16:08
Regular
Ok so Sony are true veterans of the gaming industry but what about the newcomers,microsoft should they just stick to windows and overpriced pc's or is this a smart move that will earn them the right to call themselves true electronic kings.

We know x box has the power (250mb graphics and 700mhz processor)but is sheer power all the X box boasts.The ansaw (in my opinion) is no i mean microsoft have the funds to make it a success and with over 150 games designers it not like they will have nintendos ongoing problemn of not enough variety of games.Microsofts wonder machine also looks sleek and stylish,ok so the dvd add on is £28.99 but whats £28.99 to a life with no dvds,anyway if all you want is a dvd player i know freeola have some good ones but personally i will be buying the dvd add on.

Playstation 2 on the other hand does not boast any of this power but it does boast years of experience and the true respect of most other major games companies.Plus it does have the added bonus of dvd at no extra cost.

Playstation is priced at £199.99 and the X box at £299.99 but what do you think is it worth the extra £100 for the x box or not?
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:08
Ok so Sony are true veterans of the gaming industry but what about the newcomers,microsoft should they just stick to windows and overpriced pc's or is this a smart move that will earn them the right to call themselves true electronic kings.

We know x box has the power (250mb graphics and 700mhz processor)but is sheer power all the X box boasts.The ansaw (in my opinion) is no i mean microsoft have the funds to make it a success and with over 150 games designers it not like they will have nintendos ongoing problemn of not enough variety of games.Microsofts wonder machine also looks sleek and stylish,ok so the dvd add on is £28.99 but whats £28.99 to a life with no dvds,anyway if all you want is a dvd player i know freeola have some good ones but personally i will be buying the dvd add on.

Playstation 2 on the other hand does not boast any of this power but it does boast years of experience and the true respect of most other major games companies.Plus it does have the added bonus of dvd at no extra cost.

Playstation is priced at £199.99 and the X box at £299.99 but what do you think is it worth the extra £100 for the x box or not?
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:19
Regular
14th_march_02_man wrote:
> Ok so Sony are true veterans of the gaming industry

Well... compared to Nintendo and Sega... no.
Compared to X-Box, I suppose so. They did make a successful debut.

> but what about the
> newcomers,microsoft should they just stick to windows and overpriced pc's

Probably, but there is so much growth in the gaming industry, that recently, space has been made for three consoles to exist at once, and still maintain a fair share of the market (though some will be fairer than others, as they sort of said in Animal Farm)

> or is this a smart move that will earn them the right to call themselves true electronic kings.

It is a smart move to earn the right to call themselves the true profit kings.

>We know x box has the power (250mb graphics and 700mhz
> processor)but is sheer power all the X box boasts.

Power is hard to judge, particualarly when all you have is a very small array of specs. (And for Small Froggy, and other Star Wars fans, judge Yoda by his size? We do not.)

>The ansaw (in my opinion) is
> no i mean microsoft have the funds to make it a success and with over 150 games
> designers

Its not alone seeing as the PS2 has its own share of great developers.

>it not like they will have nintendos ongoing problemn of not enough variety of games.

This`ll anger a lot of people, though I don`t care. Variety is certainly important, but again, it isn`t only X-Box that has it. Both of the other two contenders will have a large amount of games and developers.

>Playstation 2 on the other
> hand does not boast any of this power

Eh? Its perhaps not quite got the processor speed, but the "open ended architecture" could lead to improvements through time that will be on a steeper gradient than the X-Box`s. Even now, it doesn`t look a whole lot better (though DOA3 ain`t bad). Compare Munch PS2 to Munch X, and you`ll see they haven`t changed.

> but it does boast years of experience and
> the true respect of most other major games companies.Plus it does have the added
> bonus of dvd at no extra cost.

In X-Box`s defence here, experience isn`t always necessary (see PSone) though it could be factor now that there is actually competition, rather than a competitor who isn`t interested in winning (the N64 hardly tried in terms of advertising)

>Playstation is priced at £199.99 and the
> X box at £299.99 but what do you think is it worth the
>extra £100 for the x box or not?

This is an opinion question now, and one that I would answer by sticking with my PS2. I can`t see a valid reason to buy an X-Box yet. However, this will vary from person to person.
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:27
Regular
"Digging!"
buy a gamecube, its the cheapist and has loadas cool exclusive titles.
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:32
"penguins in hawaii?"
Agent Smith wrote:
> buy a gamecube, its the cheapist and has loadas cool exclusive titles.
Couldn't be truer. Gamecube rules!!!
Tue 05/02/02 at 16:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm getting a GameCube, but if I also had to choose between the Box and the PS2, i'd probably choose the PS2.
My reasons are:
-it's price
-GTA3!!
-already played a PSX
-DVD player
-got a PC, don't really need a Box

I also think that the games for both of these consoles will be very similar, but i'd still rather go for a PS2.
One reason why i'm not choosing a PS2 over a Cube is due to the pad. I cannot use Ps pads!!
Tue 05/02/02 at 17:07
"penguins in hawaii?"
ive pre-orderd a gamecube and my ps2 is being deliverd this week. The reasons for me choosing the ps2 were:
1) It is the next installment of a quality machine
2)Sony's rep is better than microsoft's in the console market
3) My gamecube can sit on top of it :P

I think that the PS2 will be going strong way into the year, with releases like MGS 2 and stuntman etc. The xbox is just another scheme that microsoft have introduced to try and take over the world! Bill Gates....
Tue 05/02/02 at 18:50
Regular
"Mole Hole"
The X-box is better in price and graphic power but i think the ps2 is better over all
Tue 05/02/02 at 19:14
Regular
The X-Box has a stronger price??? Is more better then?
Tue 05/02/02 at 20:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Solskjær_24 wrote:
> I cannot use Ps pads!!

Just out of interest... do you have hands?
Tue 05/02/02 at 21:07
PS2 Or XBOX?
Well,
PS2,
Naturally.
Or Gamecube
If you decide on a ps2, get gta 3. Its amazing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.