GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mothers Against Videogame Addiction and Violence: MAVAV"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/12/02 at 16:43
Regular
www.mavav.org

Videogames: The Frightening Facts

Fact: Videogames aren't just for "fun" anymore, the videogame industry made a net income of $6.3 billion in 2002, surpassing even the movie industry. Developers profit and continue to take advantage of today's youth with cute, loveable, addictive, and recognizable franchise characters. A practice and strategy similar to those used by the tobacco industry.

Fact: Videogames have been proven to prevent the development of the proper social skills and interaction needed for a long happy and enjoyable life. Young gamers are prone to being burdened with depression and sadness all throughout their life

Fact: Health studies have found that even those casual gamers suffer from low self-esteem and self-pride compared to their athletic and more socially accepted peers in their same age group. Young gamers were found to be more likely to become lifetime gaming addicts and becoming social outcasts.

Fact: Hardcore gaming not only leads to videogame addiction and abrupt lifestyle changes, but to crime and felony as well. Hardcore gamers never buy computer videogames. Instead, downloading illegally copied videogames or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the underground. Buying a legit copy is grounds for abandonment by community groups. You may not be buying your child videogames, but they can illegally obtain them off the internet.

Videogame Addiction: What to Watch Out For

Symptom: Child spending numerous amount of time in their bedroom and at home
This is a classic sign of a growing gaming addiction. The child spends the majority of his time at home in his bedroom, only breaking out of his “base” for food and bathroom breaks. This behavior is commonly known as a “gaming binge” which can last from a couple of hours, a whole night, and in some extreme circumstances, a full 24 to 48 hour gaming binge (occurring usually on weekends).

We highly recommend your child's bedroom be absent of all forms of electronic entertainment devices. This includes a home computer, and/or videogame console systems. It is best for all electronic entertainment devices be placed in a common area where a clock is present and adult supervision is available. If this is not at all possible, we recommend having your child's door remain open and be checked in on every hour. Parents should be extra cautious around the time of bedtime until morning.

Encourage your child to be more active. Arrange for your child to go over to a friends house for the afternoon, setup a gathering party at your home, or even sign up your child for an after school sport or activity.

Symptom: Poor school grades
A typical report card by a troubled videogame player:

Computer Education Excellent
English Poor
Mathematics Poor
Science Poor
Social Studies Poor
Physical Education Poor

Never assume drugs or otherwise is the problem for your child's poor academic performance. Videogame addiction is not to be under-estimated. It is a serious epidemic plaguing our children nationwide. We recommend getting professional psychiatric help.

Symptom: Unusual "Role-Playing"
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) is a digital escape from the real world for emotionally unhealthy and mentally unstable people. It is a place for computer enthusiasts and social outcasts to gather un-bothered and un-harassed by the realities of real life.

While the focus and idea behind MMORPG seems utopian and innocent, the emotional and mental wellness of the gamer can be severely affected: increased anxiety and irritability, argumentative, appetite and weight loss, impaired judgment, paranoia, sadness and depression, loss of interest in appearance, and sleeplessness

Videogame addiction has become so serious now that the mass-media now compares videogame addiction to alcohol and drug abuse.

MMORPG's are the most addicting genre of videogames available and developers are selfishly aware of these statistics. Developers take advantage of the situation by charging people hefty monthly rates for their "services" and release mediocre expansion sets to keep the game play fresh. We caution parents to never hand out credit card information or sign up their child for any suspicious online and monthly services.

MMORPG videogames were recently labeled as one of the top 10 leading causes of students dropping out of high school.

Videogame Violence: The Hidden Dangers

Danger: Do videogames make people violent?
Yes. What was once a debatable question, is now fact. New research has concluded that videogame violence and behavior related violence are in fact closely related.

Danger: Do videogames teach people how to kill?
Yes. When videogames were linked to the Columbine high school shooters, a frenzy of new research was launched, in which, one team of researchers discovered that first person shooter games do indeed teach gamers with the basic knowledge of how to kill. This research arrived be so conclusive that the U.S. government Army developed a free videogame to be used as a virtual boot camp and killing simulator.

Send hate mail. But only send intelligent, well written, well argued hate mail. It would be just typical for them to receive thousands of e-mails, but only post the small few which display bad grammar and more.
Tue 31/12/02 at 22:19
"+ suspicious minds"
They're morons. can't think up anything particulairily(?) wtty to say, so I should probably leaveit. morons. American law states is is perfectly legal to weild a concealed handgun in a public area. or so I think. I am not sure, so I won't press with that assumption.

I Miss Gorgina.

Meh. me tired.
Tue 31/12/02 at 20:58
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
hoax or not it dosn't hide the fact that there are actually people out there who maybe take it all a little too seriously.

Was reading the sunday paper with an interesting article on the getaway and how BT may take legal action as it shows one of their engineers shooting someone - or something along those lines.

Made me think if people actually cared this much about real life problems then maybe things wouldn't be so bad.

Will read through it all in detail and give them my expert knowledge on how they are wrong and I am right.

:-)
Tue 31/12/02 at 20:20
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
˝pint wrote:

> Fact: Videogames have been proven to prevent the development of the
> proper social skills and interaction needed for a long happy and
> enjoyable life. Young gamers are prone to being burdened with
> depression and sadness all throughout their life

hmm. i have an extremely happy life, dozens of friends and have no problems with depression

> Fact: Health studies have found that even those casual gamers suffer
> from low self-esteem and self-pride compared to their athletic and
> more socially accepted peers in their same age group. Young gamers
> were found to be more likely to become lifetime gaming addicts and
> becoming social outcasts.

I think i'm better than everyone else - doesn't sound like low self-esteem :-)

> Fact: Hardcore gaming not only leads to videogame addiction and abrupt
> lifestyle changes, but to crime and felony as well. Hardcore gamers
> never buy computer videogames. Instead, downloading illegally copied
> videogames or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the
> underground.

WHAT!!!!!!!

> We highly recommend your child's bedroom be absent of all forms of
> electronic entertainment devices. This includes a home computer,
> and/or videogame console systems.

This is the most stupid moronic thing i have ever heard

> Symptom: Poor school grades
> A typical report card by a troubled videogame player:
>
> Computer Education Excellent
> English Poor
> Mathematics Poor
> Science Poor
> Social Studies Poor
> Physical Education Poor

I'm a big gamer:

Computer Education - Excellent
English - Excellent
Mathematics - Excellent
Science - Excellent
Social Studies - Excellent
Physical Education - Good (only good, I must improve)

> Never assume drugs or otherwise is the problem for your child's poor
> academic performance.

yep never assume drugs, so if it is drugs then you'll never know cos' it didnt cross your mind!!!!!!!

> Symptom: Unusual "Role-Playing"
> Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) is a digital
> escape from the real world for emotionally unhealthy and mentally
> unstable people.

THANKS!!!!!

I play online. I MUST be unstable

> Danger: Do videogames make people violent?
> Yes. What was once a debatable question, is now fact. New research has
> concluded that videogame violence and behavior related violence are in
> fact closely related.

I havent been in a fight in my life and i've been gaming for 10 years

> Danger: Do videogames teach people how to kill?
> Yes. When videogames were linked to the Columbine high school
> shooters, a frenzy of new research was launched, in which, one team of
> researchers discovered that first person shooter games do indeed teach
> gamers with the basic knowledge of how to kill. This research arrived
> be so conclusive that the U.S. government Army developed a free
> videogame to be used as a virtual boot camp and killing simulator.

They blamed doom for training someone how to become a crack sniper in another case, that is all i can say.
Tue 31/12/02 at 17:16
Regular
"¬_¬"
Still, an excuse for a good rant:

Hello,

Firstly, I'm appalled that you think my parents need educating. My father went to Oxford University, the top university in Britain, and my mother is a teacher. If anything, you people are the ones who need educating. Your arguments are so incredibly biased and flawed that to an educated person, it's a joke. You can't blame videogames for problems which you're likely to have caused due to bad parenting, and scapegoating them is just absurd.

Frankly, I don't care what you think. You're the same people who petitioned rock music in the 80's, thought Harry Potter was the devil, and back people such as George Bush who are pushing for a fascist world domineering society. You want to know what? I'm not a feral young child, nor am I a pre-teen. I'm 16 - I have a job, friends, and a girlfriend. I've been playing videogames since before I started school, and guess what? I'm not a psychopath, I'm not anti-social, and I wouldn't dream of weilding a gun.

It's actually rather amusing that you've jumped the bandwagon blaming societies problems on videogames. Do you want to know the truth about the Columbine massacre? The gunman belonged to an shooting club, and that's where he learnt to shoot. Not from clicking a mouse butto, or pressing the Return key, but from real life experience. And games aren't to blame for him killing all those people either. He was under family pressure and was bullied at school, and thanks to gun laws which are obviously beyond your comprehension he could easily obtain a gun and shoot who the hell he wanted to. Not videogames.

Scapegoating videogames is a concept I'd generally associate with minds of your calibre, and it amazes me how asinine your views really are. Your children are exposed to violence, drug abuse and sexual acts on a daily basis; through television, their own friends and over the internet, a thing so obviously spawn of the devil. If you had a single quote, fact or report to back up your wildly accusative statements, you'd get some credit. But you don't. I'm in a clan, and would you like to know why? I am so that I can play videogames online with some of my friends. Not because I'm a racist, or spend my life persecuting minority groups. I do it because it's fun. And that's all that videogames are - fun.

Have you ever watched a movie before? Chances are you have. Do you persecute the directors of films which portray genocide, rape and massacre? No, you don't. Videogames are a new industry, and like all knew things you haven't got a clue what they're about. You're living in such an archaic lifestyle, that you just can't accept new things, and views which challenge your own narrow-minded existence. I could argue against the sins of needlecraft, but until I actually sit down and indulge in it I don't have a clue what it's about. The same is for you.

I thank you for providing entertainment for me via the ill-researched propaganda that is your website. I laughed to see that parents - role models to their children, and vessels of their affections - are taking such an infantile and utterly facetious approach to the subject at hand. You are making the assuption that all videogames damage all children, in the cynical confidence that the world revolves around you, your views and your own corrupt country.

In only twenty minutes I'm about to go out to a New Years Eve party, with friends, and have a great time. Pray, tell me. Am I going to pull a gun out and shoot all the people in the room? No, I won't. I'll continue to play videogames until the day I die. You can't stop me, and you won't stop me. I'm intelligent, and just as normal as the next man. Continue updating your site, I'll be interested to see what ungrounded statistics you can conjure up, and whether you are brave enough to post this, along with countless other intelligent arguments against yours which is not.

Have a nice life, and know this. Your sons and daughters will grow up, experience the world, then think back to the over-machicolated childhood he or she had. And laugh.

You are pathetic.

From Jonathan Mace
Tue 31/12/02 at 17:12
Regular
It's a hoax. Visit penny-arcade.com for more details.
Tue 31/12/02 at 16:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
www.mavav.org

Videogames: The Frightening Facts

Fact: Videogames aren't just for "fun" anymore, the videogame industry made a net income of $6.3 billion in 2002, surpassing even the movie industry. Developers profit and continue to take advantage of today's youth with cute, loveable, addictive, and recognizable franchise characters. A practice and strategy similar to those used by the tobacco industry.

Fact: Videogames have been proven to prevent the development of the proper social skills and interaction needed for a long happy and enjoyable life. Young gamers are prone to being burdened with depression and sadness all throughout their life

Fact: Health studies have found that even those casual gamers suffer from low self-esteem and self-pride compared to their athletic and more socially accepted peers in their same age group. Young gamers were found to be more likely to become lifetime gaming addicts and becoming social outcasts.

Fact: Hardcore gaming not only leads to videogame addiction and abrupt lifestyle changes, but to crime and felony as well. Hardcore gamers never buy computer videogames. Instead, downloading illegally copied videogames or “warez” is the only method acceptable by the underground. Buying a legit copy is grounds for abandonment by community groups. You may not be buying your child videogames, but they can illegally obtain them off the internet.

Videogame Addiction: What to Watch Out For

Symptom: Child spending numerous amount of time in their bedroom and at home
This is a classic sign of a growing gaming addiction. The child spends the majority of his time at home in his bedroom, only breaking out of his “base” for food and bathroom breaks. This behavior is commonly known as a “gaming binge” which can last from a couple of hours, a whole night, and in some extreme circumstances, a full 24 to 48 hour gaming binge (occurring usually on weekends).

We highly recommend your child's bedroom be absent of all forms of electronic entertainment devices. This includes a home computer, and/or videogame console systems. It is best for all electronic entertainment devices be placed in a common area where a clock is present and adult supervision is available. If this is not at all possible, we recommend having your child's door remain open and be checked in on every hour. Parents should be extra cautious around the time of bedtime until morning.

Encourage your child to be more active. Arrange for your child to go over to a friends house for the afternoon, setup a gathering party at your home, or even sign up your child for an after school sport or activity.

Symptom: Poor school grades
A typical report card by a troubled videogame player:

Computer Education Excellent
English Poor
Mathematics Poor
Science Poor
Social Studies Poor
Physical Education Poor

Never assume drugs or otherwise is the problem for your child's poor academic performance. Videogame addiction is not to be under-estimated. It is a serious epidemic plaguing our children nationwide. We recommend getting professional psychiatric help.

Symptom: Unusual "Role-Playing"
Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG) is a digital escape from the real world for emotionally unhealthy and mentally unstable people. It is a place for computer enthusiasts and social outcasts to gather un-bothered and un-harassed by the realities of real life.

While the focus and idea behind MMORPG seems utopian and innocent, the emotional and mental wellness of the gamer can be severely affected: increased anxiety and irritability, argumentative, appetite and weight loss, impaired judgment, paranoia, sadness and depression, loss of interest in appearance, and sleeplessness

Videogame addiction has become so serious now that the mass-media now compares videogame addiction to alcohol and drug abuse.

MMORPG's are the most addicting genre of videogames available and developers are selfishly aware of these statistics. Developers take advantage of the situation by charging people hefty monthly rates for their "services" and release mediocre expansion sets to keep the game play fresh. We caution parents to never hand out credit card information or sign up their child for any suspicious online and monthly services.

MMORPG videogames were recently labeled as one of the top 10 leading causes of students dropping out of high school.

Videogame Violence: The Hidden Dangers

Danger: Do videogames make people violent?
Yes. What was once a debatable question, is now fact. New research has concluded that videogame violence and behavior related violence are in fact closely related.

Danger: Do videogames teach people how to kill?
Yes. When videogames were linked to the Columbine high school shooters, a frenzy of new research was launched, in which, one team of researchers discovered that first person shooter games do indeed teach gamers with the basic knowledge of how to kill. This research arrived be so conclusive that the U.S. government Army developed a free videogame to be used as a virtual boot camp and killing simulator.

Send hate mail. But only send intelligent, well written, well argued hate mail. It would be just typical for them to receive thousands of e-mails, but only post the small few which display bad grammar and more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.