GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Bio-PC"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/09/00 at 20:01
Regular
On the subject of "The Future of Gaming", how long will it be before computers start to contain biological components.
We are currently limited to our +6v and -6v bits and these are further limited by an extra bit used for checking digits, but with the advent of biological chips these necessities would be irrelevant. The "Bio-PC" has many advantages, faster speed, (speed of light computation), no need for parallel connectivity, (processes are carried out quadrillions at a time in the brain's synaptic connections), and infinite (for our purposes) storage space for programs and instructions.
The current situation is well known, bio chips have been proven as a technology, but interfacing with these computers is the current difficult hurdle that needs to be overcome. With nanotechnology becoming ever more prevailent and cost-effective, could a possiblity of nanomachines interfacing with biochips be a option? I don't know, leave that one to the scientists to find out.
I would like to see this technology within my lifetime, the next 30 years or so could be very interesting in this respect, but the gamers of the future will have a wondrous thing at their disposal, and I just hope they appreciate the ideas and efforts that have gone into that technology's development, as we should appreciate the sacrifices made for us in developing our current technology.
Sat 16/09/00 at 20:01
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
On the subject of "The Future of Gaming", how long will it be before computers start to contain biological components.
We are currently limited to our +6v and -6v bits and these are further limited by an extra bit used for checking digits, but with the advent of biological chips these necessities would be irrelevant. The "Bio-PC" has many advantages, faster speed, (speed of light computation), no need for parallel connectivity, (processes are carried out quadrillions at a time in the brain's synaptic connections), and infinite (for our purposes) storage space for programs and instructions.
The current situation is well known, bio chips have been proven as a technology, but interfacing with these computers is the current difficult hurdle that needs to be overcome. With nanotechnology becoming ever more prevailent and cost-effective, could a possiblity of nanomachines interfacing with biochips be a option? I don't know, leave that one to the scientists to find out.
I would like to see this technology within my lifetime, the next 30 years or so could be very interesting in this respect, but the gamers of the future will have a wondrous thing at their disposal, and I just hope they appreciate the ideas and efforts that have gone into that technology's development, as we should appreciate the sacrifices made for us in developing our current technology.
Sat 16/09/00 at 21:10
People have virtual sex over the net - I saw it on Channel 4 - well on a tasteful program of course - so maybe, something might go wrong ,and PC will become pregnant and start eating pickled Cucumbers - or even floppy discs.
Crude Oil, my frinds
Crude OIl
Sat 16/09/00 at 22:38
Regular
Dan, you been drinking again?
Sat 16/09/00 at 22:39
Regular
"Under the Wall"
Did you ever see that film, it might have been called 'seed of evil', where they had a biological computer? It went crazy, took over the inventors (hi tech with computer controlled security to stop people geting in - or out) house and made a kind of cyborg child from the computers DNA and that of the guy's wife (who was locked in and beat up by the little robot things - it was set in the future).
Anyway, don't feel like you have to watch it on my account - it was carp (yes the fish), but the point is that if it ever happened the computer people would take over the world and we would have become so reliant on the technology it could control that we wouldn't stand a chance.
Sat 16/09/00 at 22:47
Regular
Yes, Wax, but if we just applied a little Asimov theory, (read I Robot for details) this sort of thing could be prevented. For a start, if you just have a mic and a screen the PC does not have any arms or legs to manufacture things with, therefore cannot control the world. Any faults in the programming would be human anyway, but admittedly if we started manufacturing computers that could program themselves, the algorithms used 3 or 4 levels down the chain might be so complicated that humans could never hope to understand them. This is why Bio-PC development is taking so long, as well as the ethical points of view that have to be taken into consideration, but I think that in a couple of decades then full working prototypes will be available, and full scale manufacturing about 5 years after that. It's a great idea, but as with nuclear power, it has to be treated with respect and appropriate safety measures built in to make it function properly.
Sat 16/09/00 at 23:47
D R I N K - imagine that if you could download actual chips that had flavour - i.e food - and drinks! Your computer could soon become one of those replicators in Star Trek!, Not that I watch Star Trek, of course...
Sun 17/09/00 at 07:49
Regular
The Bio-PC would, of course, be capable of things like this; as well as it's primary function of gaming, it has the usual pull the curtains/put the cat out algorithms build into it, as well as ordering your shopping from Tescos Online as and when. But back to games, they would never be the same again, you would have one game, and it would EVOLVE, this is a living computer, so are your games. Experiments were done with this type of programming back in the 70's and early 80's with an algorithm called "Life", where the program evolved itself, the same could be done with games, new levels being tacked on, new characters appearing as and when needed, new locations being built, the gaming environment constantly changing as programmed by your computer. Just as long as Bill Gates doesn't get the patent, I'm not worried. He could be done for murder every time you got the message "A Fatal Exception Error has occurred."
Sun 17/09/00 at 16:14
Regular
"Under the Wall"
What if we had somthing like 'tron' going on?
We could have controls that sent impulses into the headsets of trained ants wearing character costumes, and the impulses would make them moved as required. They could be in a big ant farm with a magnifying glass in front...
Sun 17/09/00 at 20:38
Regular
Now here's another great idea. You know fighter pilots can guide missiles with their eyes? An optical reader in the helmet views where the pilot's eye is looking, and sends the missile there. (Good thing he doesn't sneeze when he presses the fire button, isn't it?) Well why not have a retina scanner built into the monitor of a PC to guide your mouse pointer? Great idea!! I'm off to patent this one.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.