GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rumor: New Hardware To Be Shown At E3?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 02/01/03 at 12:26
Regular
Taken from Nintendophiles

---------------------------------------------------
Analyst Richard Doherty believes that Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony may be announcing, or even debuting new hardware at this year's E3 show in Los Angeles this May. Doherty's opinion is that Nintendo may be announcing a portable Gamecube. Although a portable Gamecube similar to Gameboy Advance is unlikely, we could be seeing more of Nintendo's portable LCD screen for Gamecube that we saw a little of at last year's E3. The LCD screen unveiled last year had promise, and already looked better than InterAct's LCD screen even in its early form. Let's hope Nintendo has chosen to continue production on the LCD screen, even if it isn't shown at E3 in May.

LOS ANGELES --- Now that the video game business has just wrapped a record year of sales, the industry's major players are preparing to unveil new products on the hardware front.

Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all have hardware in the works that could be launched as early as May, during the annual E3 video game convention in Los Angeles.

The true next generation of hardware is pegged for a 2005 launch, with Microsoft planning Xbox Next and Sony planning PlayStation 3. But 2003 might see a portable take on GameCube and cheaper variations of Xbox and PlayStation 2, Envisioneering analyst Richard Doherty predicted.

"A portable GameCube device would bring next-generation graphics to the portable market -- a market dominated by Nintendo with no competition from Sony or Microsoft," Doherty said.

Doherty expects an Xbox 1.5 that will be cheaper to manufacture and will be a smaller, lighter version of the current Xbox. He said it will retail from $129-$149. Microsoft also might introduce a new combination Xbox-digital video recorder for about $199.

Sony is on the third generation of PlayStation hardware, and the company is expected to ship its second incarnation of PS2 this year.

"I believe you'll see the price of this PS2.5 drop as low as $99," Doherty said. And Sony is a TiVo investor, which leads Doherty and others to think there's a combination TiVo-PS2 device in the works -- possibly a $149 add-on to "fit into the back bay of the PS2," Doherty said.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, perhaps thinking that the PC market has peaked for now, and Sony, eager to expand its entertainment hardware empire, are each focused on the living room. PS2 already plays DVD movies and CDs, and Xbox now ships with DVD movie playback, an Ethernet card for broadband connectivity, a disk drive for storage and the ability to rip and listen to CDs. The next wave of hardware is expected to incorporate DVR technology, further positioning the game system as an entertainment hub.

Sony is working with IMB and Toshiba on a new chip, code-named "GRID," that will allow PS3 to connect to other consumer electronics devices and other PS3s via broadband to enhance its processing power. PS3 also is expected to ship with Ethernet connectivity and a disk drive and will feature an easier architecture for game developers to program.

Little is known about Xbox Next, other than that it will ship before PS3 and likely will include UltimateTV technology (DVR and TV Web surfing), and it could serve as a PC for the living room.

There's also the possibility that Sony and Microsoft will release two versions each of their systems: one devoted strictly to games and another with all the bells and whistles. Broadband connectivity will be at the center of all of these machines' functions.
-----------------------------------------------------
Thu 02/01/03 at 14:30
Regular
"slick"
hi parr supp?
Thu 02/01/03 at 12:51
Regular
"Well hit on me..."
The Idea of having more portable consoles is a good one to be honest, It will keep sales high, and give the customer something new.

Things like the PSone have ensured that games are still (although now rarely) made for the PS1

However new consoles already pees me off.
Thu 02/01/03 at 12:39
Regular
"Festivus!"
I think the GC is going to be my last console for a while, until the industry slows down. I'm happy with what I've got, so I aint going to waste a couple of hundred quid on something which will go out of date a year after I get it.
Thu 02/01/03 at 12:33
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I do not like this at all. I'm all for progress i the industry but for new consoles to be unvailed (albeit only slightly updated) within a year of release (for cube and xb*x) is jsut stupid.
Thu 02/01/03 at 12:26
Regular
"^_^"
Taken from Nintendophiles

---------------------------------------------------
Analyst Richard Doherty believes that Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony may be announcing, or even debuting new hardware at this year's E3 show in Los Angeles this May. Doherty's opinion is that Nintendo may be announcing a portable Gamecube. Although a portable Gamecube similar to Gameboy Advance is unlikely, we could be seeing more of Nintendo's portable LCD screen for Gamecube that we saw a little of at last year's E3. The LCD screen unveiled last year had promise, and already looked better than InterAct's LCD screen even in its early form. Let's hope Nintendo has chosen to continue production on the LCD screen, even if it isn't shown at E3 in May.

LOS ANGELES --- Now that the video game business has just wrapped a record year of sales, the industry's major players are preparing to unveil new products on the hardware front.

Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all have hardware in the works that could be launched as early as May, during the annual E3 video game convention in Los Angeles.

The true next generation of hardware is pegged for a 2005 launch, with Microsoft planning Xbox Next and Sony planning PlayStation 3. But 2003 might see a portable take on GameCube and cheaper variations of Xbox and PlayStation 2, Envisioneering analyst Richard Doherty predicted.

"A portable GameCube device would bring next-generation graphics to the portable market -- a market dominated by Nintendo with no competition from Sony or Microsoft," Doherty said.

Doherty expects an Xbox 1.5 that will be cheaper to manufacture and will be a smaller, lighter version of the current Xbox. He said it will retail from $129-$149. Microsoft also might introduce a new combination Xbox-digital video recorder for about $199.

Sony is on the third generation of PlayStation hardware, and the company is expected to ship its second incarnation of PS2 this year.

"I believe you'll see the price of this PS2.5 drop as low as $99," Doherty said. And Sony is a TiVo investor, which leads Doherty and others to think there's a combination TiVo-PS2 device in the works -- possibly a $149 add-on to "fit into the back bay of the PS2," Doherty said.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, perhaps thinking that the PC market has peaked for now, and Sony, eager to expand its entertainment hardware empire, are each focused on the living room. PS2 already plays DVD movies and CDs, and Xbox now ships with DVD movie playback, an Ethernet card for broadband connectivity, a disk drive for storage and the ability to rip and listen to CDs. The next wave of hardware is expected to incorporate DVR technology, further positioning the game system as an entertainment hub.

Sony is working with IMB and Toshiba on a new chip, code-named "GRID," that will allow PS3 to connect to other consumer electronics devices and other PS3s via broadband to enhance its processing power. PS3 also is expected to ship with Ethernet connectivity and a disk drive and will feature an easier architecture for game developers to program.

Little is known about Xbox Next, other than that it will ship before PS3 and likely will include UltimateTV technology (DVR and TV Web surfing), and it could serve as a PC for the living room.

There's also the possibility that Sony and Microsoft will release two versions each of their systems: one devoted strictly to games and another with all the bells and whistles. Broadband connectivity will be at the center of all of these machines' functions.
-----------------------------------------------------

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.