GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Strategy Gaming"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/02/02 at 21:21
Regular
The ps2 has opened up opportunities for strategy games to be played more on consoles. The first on the Ps2 was Age of Empire II. Do you think we will see any Command and Conquer type games on the PS2 (not like the 3d one on the Xbox)? Or do you think people bye consoles to get away from strategy games in a way? Whats your view?
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:21
The ps2 has opened up opportunities for strategy games to be played more on consoles. The first on the Ps2 was Age of Empire II. Do you think we will see any Command and Conquer type games on the PS2 (not like the 3d one on the Xbox)? Or do you think people bye consoles to get away from strategy games in a way? Whats your view?
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:32
Regular
I suppose strategy games work best on the PC due to the better set up with the Mouse and Keyboard. But of course yoo can buy these extras for your PS2 as well...I just like playing thses types of games on the PC. THey just seem to run better i suppose.
Sun 03/02/02 at 21:36
Yeah, the mouse is a lot easier to use than the controller. Probably why Sony tries to sell playstation mouses/mice (hmmm..mice?) so strategy games (well the amount there were) were easier to play.
Mon 04/02/02 at 10:43
Regular
Conflict Desert Storm is a strategy game and its a 3D game aswell check it out in my new topic
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I don't think Conflict Desert Storm is all that much of a strategy game really - and yes I've seen the Official Playstation 2 magazine preview of it. It does look a great game, but the AI will make or break it - Ghost Recon on PC was supposed to have great AI but it did not, you just made a lot of noise and all the bad guys came to you ! Operation Flashpoint has perhaps the best AI for a strategy game.

It would be great if Conflict Desert Storm does turn out to be a strategy game, being able to go back for your guys is a long overdue option though I doubt many will use it ! The makers need to balance strategy with gameplay, you cannot just have missions, like the one on red faction where you have to sneak around in disguise and if detected get hopelesly gunned down, where following one strategy and messing it up means the level is virtually uncompletable. There should ideally be at least 3+ ways of doing every mission.

For example; If the mission is to take out a scud launcher site then you should be able to accomplish this by...
1) Lighting the target with a laser - involves staying in one position for several minutes so you'd have to keep low and fend off attacks from patrols.
2) Sneak up on the site, take out the guards, place explosives.
3) Use grenades to blow up the missiles
4) Capture the launcher vehicles and ram them into each other, disabling them.
5) Launch the missiles with changed target data.

This is what I mean, in my example running out of grenades or losing the laser designator means the mission is still on. Similarily how annoying is it in games like Rogue Spear where thee mission automatically ends when one hostage of many dies ? The missions should carry on to let you try an pull out as many people as possible, something I hope to see in Conflict Desert Storm.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.