GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Premiership Draws to a Close..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/02/02 at 18:26
Regular
And it is very, very close indeed. So close that I've been inspired to write about the current standings, what's gone before and what I think will happen soon & I can honestly say that this season has been one of the greatest so far, however let me point out that I am a Leicester supporter, we're probably going to be playing teams like Grimsby next season, but at least that does in a way make me unbiased regarding the title chasers...

The Standings

Arsenal have been the most consistent team in the league in my view, and they've only lost 3 matches in this campaign, they've clearly adopted the "10 man" formation whereby Bergkamp, Keown and Vieira take it in turns to get sent off, as the Gunners strangely play better with a man down. Arsenal are now in 4th, behind Liverpool, but with a game in hand, which if they won, would put them level on points with Man United...

Aston Villa. Oh what a story it's been this year, Angel and Vassell have been proving their worth and Villa sit proudly in 7th place, a decent position if you ask me, but just not good enough in the conflicting stare between John Gregory and Doug Ellis. Aston Villa have had runs of good form, as well as patches of bad form, which meant they were never going to stay on top of the Premiership, yes Villa have been top this year, but I think they can make Europe - with 37 points, they're 5 ahead of out of form Spurs...

Blackburn. Hmmm, after surprisingly signing Andy Cole, it does make disturbing viewing to see that they're way back down in 17th position, ahead of Bolton by goal difference only. It's even more odd that they're in the Worthington Cup Final & in the 5th round of the FA Cup. They've slipped up in the league, so they'll have to improve something if they want top-flight status next time round...

Bolton enjoyed a brief stint at the top of the table when the season kicked off, but sadly they look like they could be going back to where they came from, joining Leicester and another in Division 1 next season. However, the bottom half of the table is very close indeed, hence the title in many respects, as there are only 7 points between 8th and 18th place, the next 3 games could see anything happen! Michael Ricketts has shone for them this year, well done to him...

Charlton haven't made any headlines, but they're in a comfortable 9th place and currently drawing 0-0 at the Riverside stadium against Steve McLaren's Boro'. Charlton have done well to stay in the top half after some negative press about them, but I think they're a very hard working team, a clean team and one that will probably stay mid table this year - hardly the most exciting team to watch, but then I do support Leicester, so I can't really talk...

*During the writing of this post, Charlton did indeed draw with Boro in a painstakingly drab game, which has seen Spurs take Charlton's 9th place, and Charlton take Spurs' 8th.

Chelsea! Despite Claudio Ranieri's controversial opera style talking (which has clearly rubbed off on the players - notice how dramatic they dive these days?), Chelsea has done well to keep up with 'the pack' and in the running for the Premiership title. I don't think they'll win it, but they're in 5th place, have the two best strikers in the country in Hasselbaink and Gudjohnson and they've beaten Liverpool 4-0, Man United 3-0 (at Old Trafford!), Leeds 2-0, and Newcastle 2-1 so far, they're definitely a team that'd I give the title 'dark horse' to...

Derby. Could the signing of ex Villa supreme John Gregory be the right antidote to the Rams' rampant decline to the lowly parts of the relegation zone? Well, they won yesterday, which probably woke a few people up in the Peak District, but I seriously doubt that they'll have enough to stay up this time round. They've been unlucky, but with an average of less than 1 point per game, they just haven't been good enough...

Everton. Another team, like Charlton, that you rarely hear anything of in the media, Everton have been completely overshadowed by their neighbours Liverpool, and currently sit in 14th place with 28points. Walter Smith is hanging like a loose tooth to his position, and really does need to push the club of such a size to a better place in the table. I think they'll stay up, but only hover around 13-16th place. Another unremarkable season for the Toffee's...

Fulham. Premiership new boys, as title winners of division 1 last season, Fulham, lead by Jean Tigana seem to be doing alright in their first season in the Premiership: 10th place with a game in hand to most, they just can't seem to score that many, but then with a goal difference of 0, they're doing ok with just 23 this year. Fulham have some excellent players, I just think that this season wouldn't be an amazing year for them, but they'll build upon what they learn and probably go for a European place next year...

Ipswich - firstly may I congratulate you now! Bowing out of the Uefa Cup after a spirited performance against Inter Milan of Italy, Ipswich have tried and tried to get their act together, and finally they've hit the run of good form they needed. Marcus Bent has been a superb signing for them, and now the Portman Road faithful have something to cheer about, they've achieved half their total points tally in the last 7 games they've played. Not bad in my book. Ipswich, being Ipswich will probably jump past Spurs and Villa to get a European place...

Leeds. Discipline is something we all should have, especially if we're playing football for around £20,000 a week, so it's their own fault that they've slipped to 6th place, and lost heavily to Liverpool (4-0 at Elland Road...) this afternoon. I felt Leeds could really go for it this year, and by no means are they out of the title race, but when their players can't control themselves off the pitch, yet alone on it, it does make you wonder what's going on. David O'Leary's eyes really do look saw...

Leicester. Ah Leicester, my beautiful Leicester - why is it that you must be so pathetic? We stink; it's true - have you seen fast Ipswich have scuttled away from us in the past month? Rooted to the bottom of the Premier League, with only 17 points & 17 goals, it really doesn't look good for Dave Bassett's men. We've had a lot of injury trouble, it's true, but Ade Akinbiyi's bulging biceps won't help him put the shots away...

Liverpool. 3rd. 2 points behind. They want the league this season, and today's result won't harm their title challenge. If only Nicolas Anelka would hurry up and be good again, they might just have the edge against Manchester United. It's been an emotional time for Liverpool - saying goodbye to Robbie, saying get better to M. Houllier and then saying that Dudek is better than Westerveld! If they have a string of wins, then it could go to the last match. I wouldn't mind to see the League title go to Anfield this year...

Manchester United. What can I say? Everyone was writing them off thanks to their worst ever start to a season, they even lost at home to Bolton, and as it happens, they've lost more than everyone down to 7th place, but then they've also won more than everyone else. A stunning 8 wins in a row really showed the rest that those 4-1 odds of winning the championship when they were back in 8th, really should have been taken up!! Now they're 1st and favourites, but Newcastle's game in hand could see the red devils fall back to 2nd...

Middlesborough - their game of the year has to be against Manchester United in the FA Cup, sensationally beating them 2-0 with two late strikes, seeing the apprentice outplay the master. Steve McLaren's team are 0-0 with Charlton right now, and should stay in 16th if this result remains. I still think they should be careful of relegation, despite having a game in hand to the majority of teams; it won't surprise me to see them go down...

Newcastle United. This is the team that I think everyone who doesn't support any of the top 6 teams wants to win, I certainly do. Newcastle have shown great professionalism this year, they can go top if they win that game in hand, and well, we have to take our hats off to the fantastic Mr Robson. Shearer and Bellamy have done really well this season, but so has everyone at St. James' Park. In the immortal words of Kevin Keegan "I would love it, love it if we beat them". I hope they win the league, they deserve to in my eyes...

Southampton. 13th with 30points, they've done well to get Gordon Strachan, and they've had a good run of form recently too, drawing at highbury yesterday, beating Chelsea and Liverpool in the past few weeks, I think they could be pushing towards the top half of the table. Marian Pahars and James Beattie are two very in form strikers, but would you believe it, Kevin Davies has returned to the first team and has started to score again. Signs are promising for the Saints...

Sunderland; signs aren't so bright for Peter Reid's Black Cat's, maybe the players should dispel their superstition and actually look at each other when passing the ball, after all they're not really cats, or black. But they may well be clinging on to dear Premiership life as they sit way back down in 15th place, only 3 points clear of the drop zone. I think they'll stay up, but such a big club shouldn't be worrying about where they'll be playing next season. Peter Reid should watch his post very carefully...

Tottenham - after a super start, Glenn Hoddles' men have gone into free fall and can't seem to win a single game now, they've picked up 6 points out of a possible 24 from their last 8, but at least they have the distraction of a Worthington Cup Final against fellow out of form team Blackburn, on the 24th of this month. Spurs strikers Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham just need to get back to goal scoring habits, I don't think Spurs will fall any lower than 10th this season. Currently in 9th with 32 points...

West Ham. To conclude with one of the most promising and exciting teams to watch in the premiership - Glenn Roeder's Hammers stand in 11th place and they've still got the brilliant Paulo Di Canio. West Ham have so much young talent, no matter how many times big clubs take one away from them (e.g. Leeds taking Rio, and Chelsea snapping up Lampard), it seems West Ham always have superb youngsters coming through such as Joe Cole and Jermaine Defoe. David James' hair might catch people's attention for a while, but Mr Eriksson should definitely watch some more West Ham matches...

And that's the teams sorted.

My Predictions?

Premiership Champions will be Manchester United. I hate to say that, but it's looking the most likely at the moment.

Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea will take up 2nd to 5th place...

Relegated teams will be Leicester, Derby and Bolton...

Van Nistelrooy and Henry will be the top scorers, with Hasselbaink scoring the top ten goals of the season.

Walter Smith will be sacked, Peter Reid will guide Sunderland up towards mid table, and David Beckham will stay at Old Trafford.

I'd love it if Leicester could stay up, and hey why not just turn the tables upside down? Oh, can't do that, but I would be really pleased if Newcastle could win, if only to prove Bobby Robson wrong :)

As the Premiership closes to an end, it really is very, very close indeed, and that's exciting in my eyes.

Thanks for reading,

Andy Hall
Sun 03/02/02 at 18:26
And it is very, very close indeed. So close that I've been inspired to write about the current standings, what's gone before and what I think will happen soon & I can honestly say that this season has been one of the greatest so far, however let me point out that I am a Leicester supporter, we're probably going to be playing teams like Grimsby next season, but at least that does in a way make me unbiased regarding the title chasers...

The Standings

Arsenal have been the most consistent team in the league in my view, and they've only lost 3 matches in this campaign, they've clearly adopted the "10 man" formation whereby Bergkamp, Keown and Vieira take it in turns to get sent off, as the Gunners strangely play better with a man down. Arsenal are now in 4th, behind Liverpool, but with a game in hand, which if they won, would put them level on points with Man United...

Aston Villa. Oh what a story it's been this year, Angel and Vassell have been proving their worth and Villa sit proudly in 7th place, a decent position if you ask me, but just not good enough in the conflicting stare between John Gregory and Doug Ellis. Aston Villa have had runs of good form, as well as patches of bad form, which meant they were never going to stay on top of the Premiership, yes Villa have been top this year, but I think they can make Europe - with 37 points, they're 5 ahead of out of form Spurs...

Blackburn. Hmmm, after surprisingly signing Andy Cole, it does make disturbing viewing to see that they're way back down in 17th position, ahead of Bolton by goal difference only. It's even more odd that they're in the Worthington Cup Final & in the 5th round of the FA Cup. They've slipped up in the league, so they'll have to improve something if they want top-flight status next time round...

Bolton enjoyed a brief stint at the top of the table when the season kicked off, but sadly they look like they could be going back to where they came from, joining Leicester and another in Division 1 next season. However, the bottom half of the table is very close indeed, hence the title in many respects, as there are only 7 points between 8th and 18th place, the next 3 games could see anything happen! Michael Ricketts has shone for them this year, well done to him...

Charlton haven't made any headlines, but they're in a comfortable 9th place and currently drawing 0-0 at the Riverside stadium against Steve McLaren's Boro'. Charlton have done well to stay in the top half after some negative press about them, but I think they're a very hard working team, a clean team and one that will probably stay mid table this year - hardly the most exciting team to watch, but then I do support Leicester, so I can't really talk...

*During the writing of this post, Charlton did indeed draw with Boro in a painstakingly drab game, which has seen Spurs take Charlton's 9th place, and Charlton take Spurs' 8th.

Chelsea! Despite Claudio Ranieri's controversial opera style talking (which has clearly rubbed off on the players - notice how dramatic they dive these days?), Chelsea has done well to keep up with 'the pack' and in the running for the Premiership title. I don't think they'll win it, but they're in 5th place, have the two best strikers in the country in Hasselbaink and Gudjohnson and they've beaten Liverpool 4-0, Man United 3-0 (at Old Trafford!), Leeds 2-0, and Newcastle 2-1 so far, they're definitely a team that'd I give the title 'dark horse' to...

Derby. Could the signing of ex Villa supreme John Gregory be the right antidote to the Rams' rampant decline to the lowly parts of the relegation zone? Well, they won yesterday, which probably woke a few people up in the Peak District, but I seriously doubt that they'll have enough to stay up this time round. They've been unlucky, but with an average of less than 1 point per game, they just haven't been good enough...

Everton. Another team, like Charlton, that you rarely hear anything of in the media, Everton have been completely overshadowed by their neighbours Liverpool, and currently sit in 14th place with 28points. Walter Smith is hanging like a loose tooth to his position, and really does need to push the club of such a size to a better place in the table. I think they'll stay up, but only hover around 13-16th place. Another unremarkable season for the Toffee's...

Fulham. Premiership new boys, as title winners of division 1 last season, Fulham, lead by Jean Tigana seem to be doing alright in their first season in the Premiership: 10th place with a game in hand to most, they just can't seem to score that many, but then with a goal difference of 0, they're doing ok with just 23 this year. Fulham have some excellent players, I just think that this season wouldn't be an amazing year for them, but they'll build upon what they learn and probably go for a European place next year...

Ipswich - firstly may I congratulate you now! Bowing out of the Uefa Cup after a spirited performance against Inter Milan of Italy, Ipswich have tried and tried to get their act together, and finally they've hit the run of good form they needed. Marcus Bent has been a superb signing for them, and now the Portman Road faithful have something to cheer about, they've achieved half their total points tally in the last 7 games they've played. Not bad in my book. Ipswich, being Ipswich will probably jump past Spurs and Villa to get a European place...

Leeds. Discipline is something we all should have, especially if we're playing football for around £20,000 a week, so it's their own fault that they've slipped to 6th place, and lost heavily to Liverpool (4-0 at Elland Road...) this afternoon. I felt Leeds could really go for it this year, and by no means are they out of the title race, but when their players can't control themselves off the pitch, yet alone on it, it does make you wonder what's going on. David O'Leary's eyes really do look saw...

Leicester. Ah Leicester, my beautiful Leicester - why is it that you must be so pathetic? We stink; it's true - have you seen fast Ipswich have scuttled away from us in the past month? Rooted to the bottom of the Premier League, with only 17 points & 17 goals, it really doesn't look good for Dave Bassett's men. We've had a lot of injury trouble, it's true, but Ade Akinbiyi's bulging biceps won't help him put the shots away...

Liverpool. 3rd. 2 points behind. They want the league this season, and today's result won't harm their title challenge. If only Nicolas Anelka would hurry up and be good again, they might just have the edge against Manchester United. It's been an emotional time for Liverpool - saying goodbye to Robbie, saying get better to M. Houllier and then saying that Dudek is better than Westerveld! If they have a string of wins, then it could go to the last match. I wouldn't mind to see the League title go to Anfield this year...

Manchester United. What can I say? Everyone was writing them off thanks to their worst ever start to a season, they even lost at home to Bolton, and as it happens, they've lost more than everyone down to 7th place, but then they've also won more than everyone else. A stunning 8 wins in a row really showed the rest that those 4-1 odds of winning the championship when they were back in 8th, really should have been taken up!! Now they're 1st and favourites, but Newcastle's game in hand could see the red devils fall back to 2nd...

Middlesborough - their game of the year has to be against Manchester United in the FA Cup, sensationally beating them 2-0 with two late strikes, seeing the apprentice outplay the master. Steve McLaren's team are 0-0 with Charlton right now, and should stay in 16th if this result remains. I still think they should be careful of relegation, despite having a game in hand to the majority of teams; it won't surprise me to see them go down...

Newcastle United. This is the team that I think everyone who doesn't support any of the top 6 teams wants to win, I certainly do. Newcastle have shown great professionalism this year, they can go top if they win that game in hand, and well, we have to take our hats off to the fantastic Mr Robson. Shearer and Bellamy have done really well this season, but so has everyone at St. James' Park. In the immortal words of Kevin Keegan "I would love it, love it if we beat them". I hope they win the league, they deserve to in my eyes...

Southampton. 13th with 30points, they've done well to get Gordon Strachan, and they've had a good run of form recently too, drawing at highbury yesterday, beating Chelsea and Liverpool in the past few weeks, I think they could be pushing towards the top half of the table. Marian Pahars and James Beattie are two very in form strikers, but would you believe it, Kevin Davies has returned to the first team and has started to score again. Signs are promising for the Saints...

Sunderland; signs aren't so bright for Peter Reid's Black Cat's, maybe the players should dispel their superstition and actually look at each other when passing the ball, after all they're not really cats, or black. But they may well be clinging on to dear Premiership life as they sit way back down in 15th place, only 3 points clear of the drop zone. I think they'll stay up, but such a big club shouldn't be worrying about where they'll be playing next season. Peter Reid should watch his post very carefully...

Tottenham - after a super start, Glenn Hoddles' men have gone into free fall and can't seem to win a single game now, they've picked up 6 points out of a possible 24 from their last 8, but at least they have the distraction of a Worthington Cup Final against fellow out of form team Blackburn, on the 24th of this month. Spurs strikers Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham just need to get back to goal scoring habits, I don't think Spurs will fall any lower than 10th this season. Currently in 9th with 32 points...

West Ham. To conclude with one of the most promising and exciting teams to watch in the premiership - Glenn Roeder's Hammers stand in 11th place and they've still got the brilliant Paulo Di Canio. West Ham have so much young talent, no matter how many times big clubs take one away from them (e.g. Leeds taking Rio, and Chelsea snapping up Lampard), it seems West Ham always have superb youngsters coming through such as Joe Cole and Jermaine Defoe. David James' hair might catch people's attention for a while, but Mr Eriksson should definitely watch some more West Ham matches...

And that's the teams sorted.

My Predictions?

Premiership Champions will be Manchester United. I hate to say that, but it's looking the most likely at the moment.

Arsenal, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea will take up 2nd to 5th place...

Relegated teams will be Leicester, Derby and Bolton...

Van Nistelrooy and Henry will be the top scorers, with Hasselbaink scoring the top ten goals of the season.

Walter Smith will be sacked, Peter Reid will guide Sunderland up towards mid table, and David Beckham will stay at Old Trafford.

I'd love it if Leicester could stay up, and hey why not just turn the tables upside down? Oh, can't do that, but I would be really pleased if Newcastle could win, if only to prove Bobby Robson wrong :)

As the Premiership closes to an end, it really is very, very close indeed, and that's exciting in my eyes.

Thanks for reading,

Andy Hall
Sun 03/02/02 at 18:35
Regular
"Conversation Killer"
this has been the closest title race ever.
it would have been 5 teams in it, but leeds 4-0 defeat to liverpool has closed it down to a 4 horse race.
come on liverpool!
Mon 04/02/02 at 16:59
Regular
"None Stored"
HA HA! To both your teams Chelsea 4-0 Liverpool, and a much closer game with Leciester which eventually ended 2-3 to Chelsea. I agree when you say Chelsea cant win this season, but it is not a four team race Liverpool are a game ahead of Chelsea and only 6 points ahead with a useless goal difference of +14, compared to Chelsea and Arsenals joint second place behind man u (+29 HOW DO THEY DO IT?), +20 and with two players in the top 10 goalscorers list Hasselbaink 4th, but with joint premiership goals with Henry and Van Nistelrooy, and Eider Gudjohnsen 7th with 17 goals joint with the one the only, Alan Shearer. I'd say Chelsea will get a Champions League place at the very least.

Laterz.
Mon 04/02/02 at 17:38
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Chelsea beat Liverpool 4-0, what a result!, and they follow it up by, er...losing to Southampton 4-2 at the Bridge. Sorry guys, Everton have more chance of the league than they do. Leave it to Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Newcastle, and Leeds(in that order)
Fri 08/02/02 at 21:12
!Coff-Cooff---"CHELSEA SUCK"---Coff-Coff!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.