GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Impact"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/02/02 at 13:42
Regular
Defining moments, emotional journeys, stunned silences, shouts of joy and even angry snarls - all elements of the so called "Third Place". The way we feel whilst playing a game is the most important element of computer entertainment. Every so often, a game arrives that will make a permanent home in your memory for years to come. It all depends on the individual person, so the games that have this effect vary greatly. They all have one important thing in common though - they could, and often do, change our lives forever

I have looked back over my short gaming history, and picked out the games I feel made a real impact on my life. Many have come close, such as Wipeout 2097`s fast paced style, Gran Turismo 3`s superbly polished visuals and Devil May Cry`s completely "cool" feel. However these haven`t been the games to really change me. Instead, I present the following four games, responsible for irreversibly altering my life:

Repton 3 (BBC) - My memories of the gameplay have become a little hazy over time, but one thing sticks in my mind above all else, and that is the fact that this was the first game I ever truly became addicted to. To be honest, I was never any good at it, and probably only completed a handful of levels (which compared to my Dad who completed it, was very poor). However, I was stuck to that game for many months, perhaps even years, marvelling at simple facts such as the character moving on screen according to your keyboard actions. This might seem silly, like a caveman discovering his first light switch, but to me at the time, it was the most fantastic experience a computer could ever provide.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Megadrive) - Back in the days of the Megadrive and SNES, I was completely unaware that console wars even existed. Nobody ever told me the SNES was better or vice versa, so I was completely content with my black box of magic tricks. My first game ever, Sonic the Hedgehog was such an amazing game to me, having only ever played on BBCs previously. "Look at the colours", "Its like real life", "Look how fast it is!" - all statements that at the time seemed completely true. Obviously looking back now, its easy to say it looked bad, but at the time this game was incredible. I remember getting completely stuck in the Labyrinth levels for months on end, and the eventual feeling of complete satisfaction when I finally progressed to the next level. Another point to mention is that this game has perhaps the most memorable cheat of all time as well, the level select - up, down, left, right, a + b + c + start - a cheat that most megadrive users still remember today.

Final Fantasy 7 (PS) - After a game like Sonic the Hedgehog, its easy to become used to following preset paths, with perhaps a single one-off fork in the road that only lasts for a minute or so. That fact made Final Fantasy 7 all the more impressive. On my first go, I got lost. Completely. Whilst lost is usually not a good thing, in a game, this was fantastic. It was so big!! I could wander about, end up in another area of Midgar, and talk to a random stranger sat in a cafe drinking a cup of coffee. After completing the game, I now have a map in my mind of the whole of the Final Fantasy world, but it still has holes, meaning that even after several times through the game, I can still take wrong turns. The second factor in making this game so memorable is what Square are best at, CG. The computer generated cut scenes in the game were actually prettier than real life. Sitting aboard a train in Midgar city, discussing what to do next, Cloud Strife, the hero of the game looks out over the city, and the CG kicks in to show the train moving past, whilst panning over the city. Never before had I been so impressed, and this game to me is the best ever, and I haven`t seen any previews to suggest this will change.

Tony Hawk`s Pro Skater 3 (PS2) - Life altering... but for different reasons. This game is perhaps the most addictive I have ever played. It began as a pleasant experience, but progressed onto a thoroughly enjoyable one, before long I was beginning to think it was the best thing since... well... the best thing. The gameplay really is ever expanding. However, this is not why it changed my life. I do not blame this game, as it is really my fault, but I allowed myself to be drawn into the games reach and away from important revision - a mistake I will have to avoid with Final Fantasy 10, expected during my next set of exams. It seems I am merely weak minded, but the power of this game was sufficient to hold my attention when I knew it shouldn`t, and that makes it a hugely powerful experience.

Four games, spread over four gaming platforms - can PS2 be the first to show me two life changing games? Will Metal Gear Solid 2 or Final Fantasy 10 have the same effect? I look forward to the future, and hope that all of you enjoy similar or perhaps even deeper gaming experiences. The potential is truly astounding.
Tue 05/02/02 at 13:59
Regular
Going back towards the original topic, the part with the good old sonic cheat, does anyone remember the sonic 2 cheats?

The level select was something like 19, 65, 09, 17 in the sound test section, followed by a + start. Then in the level select place you use the sound test option there with some sonic related date like 01,09,09,02,01,01,02,04 (24/11/1992 ?) That gives you the ability to turn into any piece of scenery and clone it. Did anybody else (just for fun) put the turbo button on and make hundreds of rings by standing tails right behind? :-)
Tue 05/02/02 at 09:40
Regular
You guys are making me feel a little stingy! I`ve lent out a few books, occasional cds, and a game - once, which is little compared to what you have lent out. I`m impressed with how trusting you are.

The early disc scratching rumours of PS2 discs made me very wary about loaning out PS2 games. Its difficult to place blame when its really the PS2. As a result I`ve basically just kept each persons games to their own machine and avoiding swapping.
Mon 04/02/02 at 22:06
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yeah, thats happened with my vids to friends quite a lot too ;-) Well, friend as in Kate ;-)) Knowone else has ever kept anything for ages except her.........and you ::hiss:: ;-))
Mon 04/02/02 at 18:24
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
remember when i borrowed your dead or Alive on PS1 for about a year LOL least you got it back eventualy :)
Mon 04/02/02 at 16:11
I didn't mean trust worthy there. I meant trusting.... Brain fade strikes again.
Mon 04/02/02 at 16:10
It's a shame when you're trust worthy, and then get your fingers burnt. Personally I've learnt not to loan so called friends considerable amounts of money. I don't think it's a case of not trusting people, just more a case of self protection. It happens with games, music, whatever. A lot of the time it's just forgetfulness. But when the item involved is valuable (either in personal or monetary value), then it's just not on.
Mon 04/02/02 at 15:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Tell me about it, trusting people with my stuff has led to me losing my Bottom series 1 + 2, Bottom live 1 + 2, 3 Madonna CD's, and worst of all - my Xenogears game :-( (U.S import on PS1). I also lost like 2 other CD's can't remember what they were called now. Oh and some grubby mitted Tea Leaf stole my cousins Resident Evil game (PS1) while I was borrowing it so I ended up having to give him my Bloody Roar game to say sorry :-(

God I hate people, what happened to cutting their hands off when they did this kind of thing !? Oh yeah, we're supposed to be "humane" nowadays......::tut::

It really stings when I think of how much money all the stuff I've had pinched from me comes to >:-(
Mon 04/02/02 at 14:37
Regular
Interesting thing that, trust. Its a difficult line to find.
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:09
Regular
I would trust a few people but others would have no chance of borrowing my PS2
Mon 04/02/02 at 13:07
Regular
"WWJD"
Yeah it was a good idea back then but not now with the next Gen consoles, if you did swap it would have to be someone you trust alot and they trust you and if they broke it they'd have to pay for it

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.