GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AOL trial disks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/01/03 at 12:17
Regular
We have all had in our possession, at one time or another, a free AOL trial disk. They come through the post, are taped to magazines, handed out on high streets and slipped into our shopping bags whilst we aren’t looking. In your home, somewhere or other, there will be at least one AOL trial disk. You won’t know how it got there, or even where it is, but it is there!

I looked in the drawer on my computer table for a game and whilst I searched through the various CD’s I found 5 AOL trial disks and decided to put them to good use.

-*- Welcome to Kyz22’s fairly dangerous but mildly amusing guide to disposing with AOL trial disks -*-

Method 1 – Coaster

This is the least dangerous and most practical method. You simply remove the cheap cardboard case the CD is housed in, turn the disk to the shiny side and hey presto; you have a funky reflective drinks coaster!

This saves up to £1 if you were to buy drinks coasters from a shop, and the people on high streets will be more than happy to give you as many AOL disks are you request. They can be covered in glitter and given as cheap Christmas gifts too!

Method 2 – UFO

This is perhaps the most dangerous of the methods of ridding yourself of the cursed AOL disks. You take the disk from its cardboard wallet, spray it with an aerosol (or aftershave), light it using a match or lighter and hurl it above a crowded public place.

You should strategically get some friends placed in the crowd to shout, “look a UFO!” This can cause public mayhem and even a government investigation. But be warned the disk could just extinguish and hit some burly guy in the head and you could be slightly in trouble.

If it works, however, it is very fun. I should know!

Method 3 – Blinding

As most of the will know, you can reflect the light off shiny things, AOL disks are no exception. You can tilt the disk around until the reflection of light reaches the eye of your ‘target’, which won’t exactly blind them, just really annoy them. The best scenario for this is a security guard/doorman on an expensive shop. My friends and I have done this to the security guards at “house of Fraiser” and “Harvey Nichols” (Yes Leeds has a Harvey Nichols!). The security guards aren’t allowed to move from their post on the shop door unless there is an emergency or robbery. You can annoy them as long as you want and wont get told off or chased! You may also like to try this on one of those soldiers with the fuzzy hats that stand around Buckingham palace.

Method 4 – Fetch

If you have a pet dog and are sick of spending you hard earned cash on toys for it to chew up, turn to the AOL method. Get a supply of trial disks from one of the sources mentioned above and throw them for your pet dog whilst shouting something like, “Go get it boy, who’s a good dog!?” – (the comment is in fact compulsory)

It doesn’t matter if your canine chews the disks to pieces because you can get some more at the drop of a hat. The disks do actually fly very well and travel quite a distance in the air! You not only get to entertain your pooch but you get to see the chewed up AOL logo which has so many bad memories attached to it.

Method 5 – Mobile

No, you cannot convert the disk into a trendy new mobile phone, but you can use it to create one of those things that hang above baby’s cribs. All you need is some string to link a few of the disks together (through the hole in the middle, stupid) then attach your contraption to the ceiling and watch it spin!

The baby doesn’t know any different and will be entertained by the ‘pretty colours’, much the same as a lot of adults are after 2 litres of cider. A lot of today’s mobiles play lullabies to make the baby fall asleep faster, you can quite easily compete with this. Simple put the disk into a computer and play the “welcome to AOL” message over and over again for the baby. Since the baby isn’t yet likely to understand any words it wont know the different and will be asleep before you know it.

Method 6 – Burn Baby Burn

Some of you may have tried this before, but I am sure some of you wont so here goes.

Put the disk on a plate you don’t intend on using any more, then put it in the microwave and cook it! Since the AOL disk is made from low grade metal it will snap crackle and pop more than your rice crispies. If any of you have seen the Pepsi logos at a cinema (they look like they have blue electricity running through them) then you will have an idea of what the AOL disk will look like.

This can be dangerous and can set fire to the microwave so get parental permission or wait until they go out at least!

Method 7 – Wheels

For this method you need a minimum of four disks to be successful. Take the wheels off your remote control car, or steal someone else’s and take their wheels. Then screw the AOL disks on in place of the wheels. Then set the car going as fast as its 2 volt battery can handle and watch the sparks fly! The wheels will soon be misshapen and useless but AOL disks aren’t hard to get hold of!

It is probably best not to use an expensive remote control car for this; the one I tested it with flipped onto its back and was run over by the dustbin men. They’ll pay!

Well there you go, 7 methods to use up the trial disks which are hidden somewhere in your house. They are fun but can result in harm / arrest / social out casting – please be aware I am not responsible in any way for any influence this may have on you, (that should cover me)

Enjoy

-kyz²²-
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:17
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
We have all had in our possession, at one time or another, a free AOL trial disk. They come through the post, are taped to magazines, handed out on high streets and slipped into our shopping bags whilst we aren’t looking. In your home, somewhere or other, there will be at least one AOL trial disk. You won’t know how it got there, or even where it is, but it is there!

I looked in the drawer on my computer table for a game and whilst I searched through the various CD’s I found 5 AOL trial disks and decided to put them to good use.

-*- Welcome to Kyz22’s fairly dangerous but mildly amusing guide to disposing with AOL trial disks -*-

Method 1 – Coaster

This is the least dangerous and most practical method. You simply remove the cheap cardboard case the CD is housed in, turn the disk to the shiny side and hey presto; you have a funky reflective drinks coaster!

This saves up to £1 if you were to buy drinks coasters from a shop, and the people on high streets will be more than happy to give you as many AOL disks are you request. They can be covered in glitter and given as cheap Christmas gifts too!

Method 2 – UFO

This is perhaps the most dangerous of the methods of ridding yourself of the cursed AOL disks. You take the disk from its cardboard wallet, spray it with an aerosol (or aftershave), light it using a match or lighter and hurl it above a crowded public place.

You should strategically get some friends placed in the crowd to shout, “look a UFO!” This can cause public mayhem and even a government investigation. But be warned the disk could just extinguish and hit some burly guy in the head and you could be slightly in trouble.

If it works, however, it is very fun. I should know!

Method 3 – Blinding

As most of the will know, you can reflect the light off shiny things, AOL disks are no exception. You can tilt the disk around until the reflection of light reaches the eye of your ‘target’, which won’t exactly blind them, just really annoy them. The best scenario for this is a security guard/doorman on an expensive shop. My friends and I have done this to the security guards at “house of Fraiser” and “Harvey Nichols” (Yes Leeds has a Harvey Nichols!). The security guards aren’t allowed to move from their post on the shop door unless there is an emergency or robbery. You can annoy them as long as you want and wont get told off or chased! You may also like to try this on one of those soldiers with the fuzzy hats that stand around Buckingham palace.

Method 4 – Fetch

If you have a pet dog and are sick of spending you hard earned cash on toys for it to chew up, turn to the AOL method. Get a supply of trial disks from one of the sources mentioned above and throw them for your pet dog whilst shouting something like, “Go get it boy, who’s a good dog!?” – (the comment is in fact compulsory)

It doesn’t matter if your canine chews the disks to pieces because you can get some more at the drop of a hat. The disks do actually fly very well and travel quite a distance in the air! You not only get to entertain your pooch but you get to see the chewed up AOL logo which has so many bad memories attached to it.

Method 5 – Mobile

No, you cannot convert the disk into a trendy new mobile phone, but you can use it to create one of those things that hang above baby’s cribs. All you need is some string to link a few of the disks together (through the hole in the middle, stupid) then attach your contraption to the ceiling and watch it spin!

The baby doesn’t know any different and will be entertained by the ‘pretty colours’, much the same as a lot of adults are after 2 litres of cider. A lot of today’s mobiles play lullabies to make the baby fall asleep faster, you can quite easily compete with this. Simple put the disk into a computer and play the “welcome to AOL” message over and over again for the baby. Since the baby isn’t yet likely to understand any words it wont know the different and will be asleep before you know it.

Method 6 – Burn Baby Burn

Some of you may have tried this before, but I am sure some of you wont so here goes.

Put the disk on a plate you don’t intend on using any more, then put it in the microwave and cook it! Since the AOL disk is made from low grade metal it will snap crackle and pop more than your rice crispies. If any of you have seen the Pepsi logos at a cinema (they look like they have blue electricity running through them) then you will have an idea of what the AOL disk will look like.

This can be dangerous and can set fire to the microwave so get parental permission or wait until they go out at least!

Method 7 – Wheels

For this method you need a minimum of four disks to be successful. Take the wheels off your remote control car, or steal someone else’s and take their wheels. Then screw the AOL disks on in place of the wheels. Then set the car going as fast as its 2 volt battery can handle and watch the sparks fly! The wheels will soon be misshapen and useless but AOL disks aren’t hard to get hold of!

It is probably best not to use an expensive remote control car for this; the one I tested it with flipped onto its back and was run over by the dustbin men. They’ll pay!

Well there you go, 7 methods to use up the trial disks which are hidden somewhere in your house. They are fun but can result in harm / arrest / social out casting – please be aware I am not responsible in any way for any influence this may have on you, (that should cover me)

Enjoy

-kyz²²-
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:20
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Kyz22 wrote:
> This can be dangerous and can set fire to the microwave so get
> parental permission or wait until they go out at least!
>

Who in their own mind will let their kid stick a CD in their microwave, it's madness!

"Baggy trousers"

Good post though
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:21
Regular
hello world
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:23
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
hahahahahahahahahahaha

*wipes tears from eyes*

GAD.

WINNER.

FOR.

SURE.
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:24
Regular
Memorandum wrote:
> hahahahahahahahahahaha
>
> *wipes tears from eyes*
>
>
> GAD.
>
> WINNER.
>
> FOR.
>
> SURE.

thankyou
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:26
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
froots wrote:
> Memorandum wrote:
> hahahahahahahahahahaha
>
>
>
> GAD.
>
> WINNER.
>
> FOR.
>
> SURE.
>
> thankyou

you're welcome

....except I was talking to Kyz.....

now I was hardly going to quote his whole thing now was I.....
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:32
Regular
Memorandum wrote:
> froots wrote:
> Memorandum wrote:
> hahahahahahahahahahaha
>
>
>
> GAD.
>
> WINNER.
>
> FOR.
>
> SURE.
>
> thankyou
>
>
> you're welcome
>
> ....except I was talking to Kyz.....
>
>
>
> now I was hardly going to quote his whole thing now was I.....

thankyou
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:33
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Great post Kyz, thanks for the ideas. I'm actually gonna try some of those, the frisby one sounds like fun.
GAD worthy I'd say.
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:34
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Thanks for the comments

Microchips - I would let my kid put a CD in the microwave, probably.
Sat 04/01/03 at 12:36
Regular
You have a kid now Kyle?! What ever next!? A screwdriver!?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.