GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon on Gamecube confirmed."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/01/03 at 18:14
Regular
Taken from CVG

14:43 Stone the crows! Batter the cod! We knew it was coming, and now - finally - Nintendo has lifted the lid on the next-generation version of the world's biggest entertainment franchise. The long-awaited GameCube edition of Pokémon, which will release in Japan this summer, is designed for use only in conjunction with GBA, and will retail for less than a GBA title.
Say what? Uh-huh. Take a few moments to let that sink in.

In what amounts to a very shrewd move on Nintendo's part, GameCube owning Pokémaniacs will only be able to play the game if hooked up to a GBA running either Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire. Eek! Nintendo may well be releasing the software at a drastically reduced price, but two consoles and a full-priced game are still required, beefing up the overall cost considerably. Kerr-ching!

The announcement, made via Japan's Nikkei newspaper, made no reference to specifics, but it seems reasonable to speculate that the game will utilise the Pokémon data stored on the current GBA versions. Perhaps players of Ruby and Sapphire can explore the game while on the move, then continue their adventure on the big screen by uploading data onto the GameCube? Yum.

And anyone in any doubt as to the enduring popularity of the Pokémon brand should take a long, hard look at the 2002 Japanese charts and see that both Ruby and Sapphire, in only four weeks at retail, became the two biggest selling titles of the year on any format. Big bananas by anyone's standards. Even Donkey Kong's.

When we contacted Nintendo of Europe for clarification, Head of PR Shelly Friend told us: "We can confirm that [this announcement] is correct, however we have made no
specific announcement regarding our plans in Europe."

This is huge news for GameCube fans and, on the back of the first-party line-up recently revealed by Nintendo, 2003 is shaping up to be a killer year for the Kyoto-based gaming giant. We hope Microsoft is sitting comfortably.

Nintendo of Europe itself has a press briefing early next week, so be sure to check back for a fuller outlook on its 2003 plans - expected to include a new, backlit GBA - very soon.
Sat 04/01/03 at 18:14
Regular
Taken from CVG

14:43 Stone the crows! Batter the cod! We knew it was coming, and now - finally - Nintendo has lifted the lid on the next-generation version of the world's biggest entertainment franchise. The long-awaited GameCube edition of Pokémon, which will release in Japan this summer, is designed for use only in conjunction with GBA, and will retail for less than a GBA title.
Say what? Uh-huh. Take a few moments to let that sink in.

In what amounts to a very shrewd move on Nintendo's part, GameCube owning Pokémaniacs will only be able to play the game if hooked up to a GBA running either Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire. Eek! Nintendo may well be releasing the software at a drastically reduced price, but two consoles and a full-priced game are still required, beefing up the overall cost considerably. Kerr-ching!

The announcement, made via Japan's Nikkei newspaper, made no reference to specifics, but it seems reasonable to speculate that the game will utilise the Pokémon data stored on the current GBA versions. Perhaps players of Ruby and Sapphire can explore the game while on the move, then continue their adventure on the big screen by uploading data onto the GameCube? Yum.

And anyone in any doubt as to the enduring popularity of the Pokémon brand should take a long, hard look at the 2002 Japanese charts and see that both Ruby and Sapphire, in only four weeks at retail, became the two biggest selling titles of the year on any format. Big bananas by anyone's standards. Even Donkey Kong's.

When we contacted Nintendo of Europe for clarification, Head of PR Shelly Friend told us: "We can confirm that [this announcement] is correct, however we have made no
specific announcement regarding our plans in Europe."

This is huge news for GameCube fans and, on the back of the first-party line-up recently revealed by Nintendo, 2003 is shaping up to be a killer year for the Kyoto-based gaming giant. We hope Microsoft is sitting comfortably.

Nintendo of Europe itself has a press briefing early next week, so be sure to check back for a fuller outlook on its 2003 plans - expected to include a new, backlit GBA - very soon.
Sat 04/01/03 at 18:35
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Bah. I might have been interested in a proper next gen version of Pokemon with some decent new ideas in it. Bleh. But ah well. It should help to increase Cube sales. In Japan at least. And possibly America (I have no idea if Pokemon is still big over there...?) I doubt it'll effect Europe that much. I don't think Pokemon are 'cool' anymore where we are.
Sat 04/01/03 at 18:53
Regular
So it will be the same world as the GBA versin but in 3D?

Still sounds good to me!
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:16
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Pretty good news. Even thought a completely NEW, interesting Cube edition to the franchise would have been a LOT better!

I still think Nintendo are completely RETARDED for not releasing a proper Pokemon game on the Cube earlier! It would have boosted sales no end. But NO! They sit tight on this console selling franchise and about, releasing not really much else! Stupid company!

:)
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:20
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Cooky wrote:
> I still think Nintendo are completely RETARDED for not releasing a
> proper Pokemon game on the Cube earlier! It would have boosted sales
> no end. But NO! They sit tight on this console selling franchise and
> ar$e about, releasing not really much else! Stupid company!

---

Yep, I agree.

When Pokemon stuff was 'in', then Nintendo really could've made a bundle from a Cube version across the world, but no - they had to wait until Pokemon has slowly drifted away, and is now no longer cool or fun. I suppose Pokemon is still very popular in Japan, and that's where Nintendo decide what games they're going to bring out, and it'll also probably sell by the bucket-load over there, but if it doesn't impress the Americans or us, then Nintendo will feel as if they've made a big mistake.

And in my opinion, they have.
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:25
Regular
pppfttt

you're all such doom bringers

It will be as big as ever
Sat 04/01/03 at 19:27
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
You know as soon as you see the first episode of the Pokemon series again you'll all be weeping with nostalgia and become hooked as ever.

Pika, Pika!
Sun 05/01/03 at 11:56
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Well, if the only way to play it is through the GBA, I won't be able to play it anyway...

I think I'll get a GBA when they're old and cost about Ł20. Then get Advance Wars and that F-Zero game. And maybe that new 2D Sonic one.
Sun 05/01/03 at 13:05
Regular
Bah Pokemon, I used to like that, 2 years ago. If I said I still played Pokemon at school, I would'nt be alive.I just don't think this time round Pokemon will be a all round hit as it was.
Sun 05/01/03 at 13:58
Regular
Fantastic! This is going to shift GameCubes by the bucketload, just like Final Fantasy will. The GBA thing's pretty retarded, but I'm sure it'll work. I think Pokemon is still 'in' in America, anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.