GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The game where you KNEW there was a god"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/01/03 at 21:44
Regular
If the Government want to know why there has been an increase in street violence over the last few years, they shouldn’t be looking at the low policing…oh no! They should be pointing their fingers at all games programmers/designers, who in turn should hang their heads in shame. For they have been depriving all gamers of what will really stop them joyriding your grannys motorised disability buggy…Streets of Rage.

Now it could just be me, but there was nothing better than playing any of the Streets of Rage series and instead of beating the **insert your swear word here** out of the local kebab shop owner you could beat up some fat, fire breathing, American look-a-like that kept trying to sit on your face, to your hearts content! And if that didn’t satisfy your craving of violence there was always the guy that thought he was the Ultimate Warrior from WWF or a Laser-Firing Robot who’s cousin starred in Short Circuit to beat the living daylights out of.

What games programmers have failed to do is to convert a game of this shear brilliance onto the PS2. It’s not asking a lot, but there are some of us who want to see some little kid on roller skates knock out a 7ft muscle bound strut…and so what if we are amazed by the fact that the characters can eat a whole turkey in one go, or that there’s an apple the size of a football that exists, or that someone can carry around a 20kg gold bar and seemingly have pockets big enough to do so, or that the police seem to condone this kind of violence so much that they help you buy firing a bazooka at what could be innocent civilians, or….I could go on, but would any one listen?…And would they be games programmers/designers?…Well they blooming better be.

Rant Over!

I expect Streets of Rage on the PS2 by the end of the year, otherwise all your jobs are on the line
Sat 04/01/03 at 21:44
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
If the Government want to know why there has been an increase in street violence over the last few years, they shouldn’t be looking at the low policing…oh no! They should be pointing their fingers at all games programmers/designers, who in turn should hang their heads in shame. For they have been depriving all gamers of what will really stop them joyriding your grannys motorised disability buggy…Streets of Rage.

Now it could just be me, but there was nothing better than playing any of the Streets of Rage series and instead of beating the **insert your swear word here** out of the local kebab shop owner you could beat up some fat, fire breathing, American look-a-like that kept trying to sit on your face, to your hearts content! And if that didn’t satisfy your craving of violence there was always the guy that thought he was the Ultimate Warrior from WWF or a Laser-Firing Robot who’s cousin starred in Short Circuit to beat the living daylights out of.

What games programmers have failed to do is to convert a game of this shear brilliance onto the PS2. It’s not asking a lot, but there are some of us who want to see some little kid on roller skates knock out a 7ft muscle bound strut…and so what if we are amazed by the fact that the characters can eat a whole turkey in one go, or that there’s an apple the size of a football that exists, or that someone can carry around a 20kg gold bar and seemingly have pockets big enough to do so, or that the police seem to condone this kind of violence so much that they help you buy firing a bazooka at what could be innocent civilians, or….I could go on, but would any one listen?…And would they be games programmers/designers?…Well they blooming better be.

Rant Over!

I expect Streets of Rage on the PS2 by the end of the year, otherwise all your jobs are on the line
Sun 05/01/03 at 14:06
Regular
"I see you"
Oh man Streets of Rage, i've not played that game in ages. I had all three on the Mega Drive in fact i still have them so i'll have to blow the dust off the console and games and set it up.

It would be nice to see Streets of Rage on the PS2, well they've brought out Mortal Kombat so just wait and see if Streets of Rage is in development.
Sun 05/01/03 at 16:11
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Mortal Kombat is also a classic, but it think that it lost it’s way after the first two. I found that there were way to many features added to try and make it like all other games (combos etc) when it was already damn good. The first 2 however had everything you needed and that’s the path it should have continued along…could explain why MK is not as popular as it was 8 years ago, it should have stuck to it’s original format, as Streets of Rage did.

A streets of Rage on the PS2 with blood effects would be a dream to play!
Sun 05/01/03 at 17:32
Regular
"I see you"
I really loved MK 3 s it featured Sektor and Cyrax my most fave characters. I went through that Cyborgs are cool phase.
Mon 06/01/03 at 11:00
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
I have to say i far prefer the like of Raiden and Sub Zero, Although Jax got better as the seies went on. I kind of went through the phase that the golden oldies were the best, then i just ended up getting my butt kicked by someone with more moves than Austin Powers on a night out!
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:18
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Great post Marshie, congrats on the win. I had the first two in the Streets of Rage series, but they would have to think about alot of things before converting it to the PS2 or any of the other new age consoles. Th eold games used to be 2D, right. Well now people just want 3D, smooth graphics with no slow-down or pop-up. If the Streets of Rage series was to become 3D, alot of things would have to be thought about. But it can be done, the new Metroid game has shown us this. New "technology" will also help to improve the game. Like multi-taps and 4-socket consoles, which will allow you to play with even more of your friends. The 2-player mode on Streets of Rage 2 just topped off the game. Side scrolling with your friends was just so cool, tacking on pairs of enemies with tactics and skills. Still got to say two things, Marshie you should come to the PS2 forum, you'll make it better and more lively. Secondly, use that GAD to good use :D
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:41
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Thanks for taking a look at the post, my Juicy Melloned Pal (although i do notice your mellons are a bit far apart...you don't happen to be Mariah Carey by chance...no stick to the point). Good points about having to possibly convert the old 2D format to 3D, but to be honest any sort of format would do, it was just such a great game, and there doesn't seem to be anything along the same format on the PS2.

It suprises me that games that were so popular on the lesser machines (e.g Super Nintendo, Megdrive, Mastersystem etc) are rarely converted to todays consoles, and when they are they lack the same playability and 'fun'.

AS for the PS2 chat forum...I'll hop on me old 1977 vesper moped with Leopard skin seat (nice!)...and phut phut over to it to..vrrrrmmmmm
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:54
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
If the game was to be re-made, i don't think it would be very popular on the 'Cube. They've already got a 2D beat-'em-up, and that's Super Smash Bro's Melee. The X-Box is a pretty new console and hasn't had the chance for a decent side scroller to come along, so i think SOR would do well on the X-Box. As for not many games being converted, you're right. The best game i have ever played was Flash-Back on the MegaDrive. It's was a 2D game, kind of like Metal Gear Solid, but better. I would love to see this game being converted, but now MGS has come along it may be hard for BF to succeed. Games have come from console to console, Metroid is a good example. It's been on the Nes, the Snes, the GameBoy, the GameBoy Advance and soon to the GameCube. This a good example for both of the points that have occured from this post. Metroid Prime will over come the change from 2D to 3D, and has also been around for a very long time, going from console to console. Oh, and by the way, this is for you :D

(.Y.)
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:17
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
The change of format from 2D to 3D didn't work for lemmings which always will make you wonder if the poor success from games like this conversion is having a knock on effect on other golden oldies (not meaning your nan getting a gammy leg and falling from a great height into a pool of lava...that would be silly) getting their chance to be converted.

Some games have been converted succesfully across formats as you very rightly point out as well as others such as...Mortal Kombat, Sonic, Mario Kart etc. The X-Box would ideally be the best console for conversions that require a high speed processor to handle large mounts of 3D polygons but I personally believe that most people who owened a Megadrive then moved onto the PS1 and then PS2, so in that respect the PS2 would be the best console for conversions. Other than that theres not much else you could say...

...Monkey Tennis??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.