GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone have experience of these situations? (Domains)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 18/08/07 at 19:45
Regular
I logged in to hotmail today, and found an interesting e-mail.

A couple of years ago I registered a domain name for my first and last name dot com. I've not done much with it yet, I have a page on there which contains a list of links I commonly use, which I use as my homepage.
There's also the basic structure of a personal web site, but not much content on there.

Yesterday's e-mail was from a company based in London who have a new web site (still in development) firstnamelastname.co.uk .
They were mentioning that some of their clients had commented on 'their' rather barren .com web site. Essentially they're opening the channels of communication to find a way to 'resolve' the situation.

I guess they'd probably like to take the site from me. I feel a little odd about the idea of profiteering by snaffling up domain names and selling them to businesses who actually trade under the name.
(At work recently, I saw in the accounts of an old company a £40,000 expense for procuring their domain name, and it wasn't anything particularly special.) However, I like the domain, and it's good to have your own name held like that. Good to keep it for the future. So I'm reluctant to let it go.

Maybe 'leasing' it to them would be a good idea. Or just putting a banner ad or explanatory note and a link on there.

I'm not sure how to respond to their e-mail, or how to deal with the situation going forward.

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of domain name negotiations, or any advice on how to handle the situation.

(For anyone who sees dollar signs, I don't think they're a huge firm, they're probably newly established, since the web site is under construction, though they do have London offices).
Sat 18/08/07 at 22:22
Regular
Aww, those amounts are tiny :^D

I guess I'll just stick a link to their site on my index page. I don't think I'd feel good about charging them for it, especially since I'm not doing much with the site.

Ah well, it might up my traffic. Maybe I should become an amazon affiliate and try to flog related books :^)
Sat 18/08/07 at 20:07
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well...what is there to negotiate exactly? You want to keep the domain, end of story.

You own the domain, it sounds like you have legitimate grounds for owning it and are making use of it and neither are you trading on their name in any way. They cant accuse you of domain squatting or claim theres any bad faith on your part.

If you wanted to be generous you could offer to link to their .com domain with a brief explanation for people looking for them. Otherwise just explain to them that at this point in time you've no interest in relinquishing the domain, if the situation changes you will get in contact with them.
Sat 18/08/07 at 20:07
"Are you sure?"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> I'm not sure how to respond to their e-mail, or how to deal with
> the situation going forward.

That sounds like an interesting email to receive!

What exactly did they say? Are they making an offer for the domain name? They must have asked you a question...

If they would like to buy the domain you'll have to ask yourself what it's worth to you. Would you be happy with £200 or £500 perhaps, or would you be happy with at least £1500?
I would forget about the £40k range I'm afraid, unless your firstnamelastname is a very large company!

Putting a banner (Are you looking for othername.co.uk?) and charging them for displaying that could well be another option - again the worth of this all depends on how much things are worth to them.

My only experience with buying/selling domains is people trying to sell them, not buy them! From my experience the companies that contact you trying to sell a domain (and there are quite a few people doing this!) is that they try offering you a domain for something like £762+VAT but in end, on the couple of occasions I've been interested, I've offered £150 take it or leave it - and both times I've got the domain. But your situation is the opposite, so you can sit back and enjoy it.

NB. Perhaps the Web/Internet forum would have been a better place to post this...

Search Freeola Chat
Sat 18/08/07 at 19:45
Regular
I logged in to hotmail today, and found an interesting e-mail.

A couple of years ago I registered a domain name for my first and last name dot com. I've not done much with it yet, I have a page on there which contains a list of links I commonly use, which I use as my homepage.
There's also the basic structure of a personal web site, but not much content on there.

Yesterday's e-mail was from a company based in London who have a new web site (still in development) firstnamelastname.co.uk .
They were mentioning that some of their clients had commented on 'their' rather barren .com web site. Essentially they're opening the channels of communication to find a way to 'resolve' the situation.

I guess they'd probably like to take the site from me. I feel a little odd about the idea of profiteering by snaffling up domain names and selling them to businesses who actually trade under the name.
(At work recently, I saw in the accounts of an old company a £40,000 expense for procuring their domain name, and it wasn't anything particularly special.) However, I like the domain, and it's good to have your own name held like that. Good to keep it for the future. So I'm reluctant to let it go.

Maybe 'leasing' it to them would be a good idea. Or just putting a banner ad or explanatory note and a link on there.

I'm not sure how to respond to their e-mail, or how to deal with the situation going forward.

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of domain name negotiations, or any advice on how to handle the situation.

(For anyone who sees dollar signs, I don't think they're a huge firm, they're probably newly established, since the web site is under construction, though they do have London offices).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.