GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Large Folder - Can it be removed?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/02/12 at 15:47
Regular
"How Ironic"
Computer seems to run a lot slower than it did when we first got it. The C drive is completely clogged up, and there's just over 6GB of space left.

I've located the folder that seems to be taking the most. It's filepath is:
Computer/Packard Bell (C:)/Users

Within this folder, there seems to be loads of family photos which we've got in the pictures folder of the computer, loads of strange files and it just looks in general, an absolute mess. Not entirely sure what can be deleted and what can't. I don't know if these photos and documents within this folder are the same ones that are sitting in the 'normal' pictures and documents folder we already have, or if they are copies that can be deleted.

My only presumption is that this is a backup area, and the computer has decided to make clones of nearly every file. It's nearly 60GB. Can this be deleted safely?
Sat 18/02/12 at 08:15
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
you could try WinDirStat : http://windirstat.info/index.html - this will show you what is using what % of disk space, ordered by size, in tree or map view (or by file extension)

this may help you figure out where that missing disk space has gone!

also you may have 1-2 gb virtual memory but you probably already know that.
Mon 13/02/12 at 21:55
Regular
"How Ironic"
Managed to squeeze out 26GB of extra space. Not ideal, but at least I can install things for a bit.
Mon 13/02/12 at 14:46
Regular
"How Ironic"
Cheers guys, I'll take at look at them :-)
Sun 12/02/12 at 15:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dr. Garin wrote:
Try CCleaner, useful for checking and emptying the various temp folders that windows uses.

Also try this ... I've found it very useful as well as CCleaner:

Kingsoft PC Doctor 3.3

It'll also protect and 'prevent' malware. It also uses a Cloud engine for scanning.

Forget the 'strange' English...it does what it says admirably well
Sun 12/02/12 at 14:38
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Try CCleaner, useful for checking and emptying the various temp folders that windows uses.
Sun 12/02/12 at 09:58
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I honestly wouldn't have expected this 'large file' to be the root cause of your problem, there are too many other factors. Have you tried this:

Optimize W7

:¬)
Sat 11/02/12 at 22:26
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Sonic Chris wrote:
Window 7 64-bit. We all use the one user, and all hidden files are ticked to be unhidden. Don't know where all the storage is going.

So Windows7/64bit, Packard Bell and any 'partition' on the drives?
Sat 11/02/12 at 20:21
Regular
"How Ironic"
Window 7 64-bit. We all use the one user, and all hidden files are ticked to be unhidden. Don't know where all the storage is going.
Sat 11/02/12 at 19:32
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Or you just may have a 'leak'. Running a WD diagnostic utility on one of my WD drives gives it at 10GB more than a Windows 'properties' result ... I put it down to a 'leak' but two or three days later the same 'search' will give the same result! It's really annoying ....but depends really on which Windows OS you are running, SC?
Sat 11/02/12 at 17:43
"Are you sure?"
Are there other users on this PC?
You would need to look at the usage for all users...

You can change your settings to see hidden/system files to make sure you get the full picture.

You can also perform a search (Windows Key + f) and look for any files over a certain size to see if that shows where the usage is.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.