GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Deus Ex Human Revolution"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution'.
Sat 11/02/12 at 01:48
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
A little background…

Anyone who’s been playing PC or console games for more than a few years will know of the original Deus Ex game. Revolutionary for it’s time, it was the first cross- genre game to truly make the RPG/ FPS hybrid work. Complete with a branching storyline, multiple endings and a solid sci- fi backdrop, it sucked you in completely, drowned you in imagery and it set the bar for many a game that followed.

The second in the series emerged a few years back, crashing onto the scene with one of the best intro sequences ever for a game and continuing with the split personality that became its trademark. The only real issue with the second one was that it didn’t really bring anything new; players of the first on the whole were mildly disappointed, and new gamers didn’t really take it to their hearts. It was a success, but it didn’t really wow us like the first…

Enter Human Revolution, third game in the series. Times have moved on, PC’s and consoles have changed and we are deep into the hi- def age, so this would need to be something special, not only gameplay wise, but also graphically to truly immerse the gamer. We have been spoilt with the wide open worlds of Fallout 3, the slick graphics of the Fear series and the solid storylines of the likes of Bioshock, so for Human Revolution to find a foothold would take some work.

The story so far…

You are Adam Jensen, Security officer for a cybernetics lab in a world where augmented humans (augs) are commonplace. Injuries that used to take a man’s life are now repairable, soldiers can become something more than human and the criminal underworld has altered state to one where the most augmented rule. But all of this comes at a price.

Rejection of the aug implants leaves the recipient dependent on powerful drugs in order to live, and those drugs aren’t cheap. Groups of activists spring up, claiming that augs are an abomination. Revolution starts and a bitter internal struggle ensues, fuelled by the drug dependent, the criminal underbelly and the aug- hating political wings. The cities are timebombs waiting to blow, and the cybernetics labs are prime targets.

For the first ten minutes of the game, you are human enough. Here, you learn the controls, how to fight, how to move and interact with people and objects. You get some essential background story (pay attention, you’ll need it later!) and then all hell breaks loose. An attack on the lab leaves you broken and dying, the only option being radical augmentation. The game begins…

(Sidenote: This intro is followed by the opening credits, during which there are some wonderful spoken lines that reminded me of the original Robocop film. I don’t know if it was intentional, but I’m sure I heard someone say “Lose the arm”….:-)

Gameplay…

The controls are easy to master, in fact, for the complexity of movement and range of abilities, it’s quite an achievement. Running, sprinting, climbing, walking, ducking for cover, all of it is accessed with the usual wasd and a secondary key or the right mouse button. It’s cleverly intuitive; if there’s a barrier to hide behind, holding the right mouse button will crouch and hide you; press up while you’re hiding, and you’ll peek over the top and take aim with your weapon of choice. Anything is possible.

The real clever stuff however happens with the stealth functions. Silent takedowns are awesome, and unarmed kills a breeze. It’s the first game I’ve played where stealth is actually a viable option, and in fact there are a number of achievements to be gained from completing a level without a single kill, or without being detected. It’s not easy, but it’s doable, and the challenge is enough to drive you on.

Cut sequences are frequent, but essential. This is a story driven game, so background is vital to help in your decision making process. The sequences mostly lead into conversations with several options, each with a different outcome. Some people will react well to a bit of sympathy, others will need bullying. You decide which will work. Get it wrong, and you could find yourself on the wrong end of an Uzi. More on this later…

Graphics and sound…

Make no mistake; this game is cinematic to the max. The characters are somewhat stylised, but beautifully textured and well animated, movement is fluid and the AI in general is solid. Facial animation lets it down a little, but it’s still one of the prettiest darn games I’ve seen in some time. The environments are littered with detail, lit like a Hollywood movie set and atmospheric as hell. Some of the interiors are a little bland, but I began to wonder if this was to make some of the areas a bit trickier to negotiate through stealth. On the whole, believable and solid looking and very, very immersive.

The sound is extraordinary. This helps with stealth tactics, as you can use it to your advantage; ducking behind a truck and listening for the footsteps of the guard to pass you is a trick I’ve not really been able to pull off in any other game, but in this, it works. Beware, though, because the reverse is true too; the slightest sound can bring the enemy running, and they will then attempt to hunt you down…

Storyline…

I love good sci-fi. This is good sci-fi, and that would be enough for me, but there’s more. The story is, as with all of the Deus Ex games, multi-branching. Every route, every conversation, every tactic, every choice, each will change the course of the game. There are 13 different endings, multiple side quests, tons of augs and power ups to choose from, alternate routes and conversation strings, all of which alter the flow. Pick an aug to allow you to jump higher, and you’ll find routes across rooftops that are otherwise inaccessible. Pick a stealth based aug, and you’ll sneak through areas easier, allowing you to pick your targets. Take a rebreather aug, and you can use the gas filled sewers to bypass a crowded alleyway. Choices, choices….

As mentioned earlier, the cut sequences often lead to conversations. You’ll get the opportunity to charm, bully or blag your way to the truth, or a quest or clue. There is one particular quest that requires a deal of memory on your part. You must make accusations based on what you learnt earlier during the quest, so if you weren’t paying attention…

Influence the right person, and you'll access a new quest or further your investigation. Upset him and you'll be looking for an alternative path. It's clever, and you do find yourself trying different approaches through different playthroughs to see just how much things change.

The one flaw…

Unfortunately, there had to be one, and it’s annoying. The end-of-stage bosses are incredibly hard. This would not normally be a bad thing, but in this case, some are SO hard that beating them comes down to (mainly) blind luck. Each of them can be killed in a number of ways, one of which is always quick- literally seconds. Trouble is, to pull it off, you need to either be a cyber enhanced human yourself, or you have to be Mr Lucky from Jamsville who just happens to get his finger stuck on the right key at precisely the pixellated second that big bad boss is doing something stupid. Even on the “I’m a complete dunce who mashes buttons with my gorilla knuckles until they bleed” difficulty setting, these guys are a challenge. It does spoil the flow of an otherwise beautiful game.

The scores…

Graphically, I’d put this at a 9.Stylish, polished and immersive, only the facial movements drop this a point.

Sound has to be 10. Never have I found a game where the positioning and depth of sound is anywhere close to this.

Storyline is a solid 10. If you love sci-fi, you’ll be hooked.

Gameplay would be a 10 if it wasn’t for the bosses. Damn them, I’d have to give it an 8…

Overall, 9.5… If you like roleplay and FPS, this is worth a play. Just beware the bosses…
Sun 12/02/12 at 19:56
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Dragonlance wrote:

I loved Deus Ex, but the sequel was 'hopeless'. I have always considered DE3 as a 'possible' but now I just may take the plunge because of your review ... and I've read plenty :¬)

Do it! Well worth playing, without a doubt, especially if you've played the other two. I actually liked the second one, but always missed the force and power of the first. This feels like a return to the good ol' days...

The nearest comparison I can make is with "Vampire the masquerade: bloodlines", it has a similar structure and that same dark edge, and characters you can relate to.

Glad you liked the review...
Sat 11/02/12 at 19:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I've read this review twice, just to make sure ... but this review is 'well-cool' ... so worthy of yet another GAD.

I loved Deus Ex, but the sequel was 'hopeless'. I have always considered DE3 as a 'possible' but now I just may take the plunge because of your review ... and I've read plenty :¬)
Sat 11/02/12 at 15:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Another awesome review, really good.
Sat 11/02/12 at 01:48
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
A little background…

Anyone who’s been playing PC or console games for more than a few years will know of the original Deus Ex game. Revolutionary for it’s time, it was the first cross- genre game to truly make the RPG/ FPS hybrid work. Complete with a branching storyline, multiple endings and a solid sci- fi backdrop, it sucked you in completely, drowned you in imagery and it set the bar for many a game that followed.

The second in the series emerged a few years back, crashing onto the scene with one of the best intro sequences ever for a game and continuing with the split personality that became its trademark. The only real issue with the second one was that it didn’t really bring anything new; players of the first on the whole were mildly disappointed, and new gamers didn’t really take it to their hearts. It was a success, but it didn’t really wow us like the first…

Enter Human Revolution, third game in the series. Times have moved on, PC’s and consoles have changed and we are deep into the hi- def age, so this would need to be something special, not only gameplay wise, but also graphically to truly immerse the gamer. We have been spoilt with the wide open worlds of Fallout 3, the slick graphics of the Fear series and the solid storylines of the likes of Bioshock, so for Human Revolution to find a foothold would take some work.

The story so far…

You are Adam Jensen, Security officer for a cybernetics lab in a world where augmented humans (augs) are commonplace. Injuries that used to take a man’s life are now repairable, soldiers can become something more than human and the criminal underworld has altered state to one where the most augmented rule. But all of this comes at a price.

Rejection of the aug implants leaves the recipient dependent on powerful drugs in order to live, and those drugs aren’t cheap. Groups of activists spring up, claiming that augs are an abomination. Revolution starts and a bitter internal struggle ensues, fuelled by the drug dependent, the criminal underbelly and the aug- hating political wings. The cities are timebombs waiting to blow, and the cybernetics labs are prime targets.

For the first ten minutes of the game, you are human enough. Here, you learn the controls, how to fight, how to move and interact with people and objects. You get some essential background story (pay attention, you’ll need it later!) and then all hell breaks loose. An attack on the lab leaves you broken and dying, the only option being radical augmentation. The game begins…

(Sidenote: This intro is followed by the opening credits, during which there are some wonderful spoken lines that reminded me of the original Robocop film. I don’t know if it was intentional, but I’m sure I heard someone say “Lose the arm”….:-)

Gameplay…

The controls are easy to master, in fact, for the complexity of movement and range of abilities, it’s quite an achievement. Running, sprinting, climbing, walking, ducking for cover, all of it is accessed with the usual wasd and a secondary key or the right mouse button. It’s cleverly intuitive; if there’s a barrier to hide behind, holding the right mouse button will crouch and hide you; press up while you’re hiding, and you’ll peek over the top and take aim with your weapon of choice. Anything is possible.

The real clever stuff however happens with the stealth functions. Silent takedowns are awesome, and unarmed kills a breeze. It’s the first game I’ve played where stealth is actually a viable option, and in fact there are a number of achievements to be gained from completing a level without a single kill, or without being detected. It’s not easy, but it’s doable, and the challenge is enough to drive you on.

Cut sequences are frequent, but essential. This is a story driven game, so background is vital to help in your decision making process. The sequences mostly lead into conversations with several options, each with a different outcome. Some people will react well to a bit of sympathy, others will need bullying. You decide which will work. Get it wrong, and you could find yourself on the wrong end of an Uzi. More on this later…

Graphics and sound…

Make no mistake; this game is cinematic to the max. The characters are somewhat stylised, but beautifully textured and well animated, movement is fluid and the AI in general is solid. Facial animation lets it down a little, but it’s still one of the prettiest darn games I’ve seen in some time. The environments are littered with detail, lit like a Hollywood movie set and atmospheric as hell. Some of the interiors are a little bland, but I began to wonder if this was to make some of the areas a bit trickier to negotiate through stealth. On the whole, believable and solid looking and very, very immersive.

The sound is extraordinary. This helps with stealth tactics, as you can use it to your advantage; ducking behind a truck and listening for the footsteps of the guard to pass you is a trick I’ve not really been able to pull off in any other game, but in this, it works. Beware, though, because the reverse is true too; the slightest sound can bring the enemy running, and they will then attempt to hunt you down…

Storyline…

I love good sci-fi. This is good sci-fi, and that would be enough for me, but there’s more. The story is, as with all of the Deus Ex games, multi-branching. Every route, every conversation, every tactic, every choice, each will change the course of the game. There are 13 different endings, multiple side quests, tons of augs and power ups to choose from, alternate routes and conversation strings, all of which alter the flow. Pick an aug to allow you to jump higher, and you’ll find routes across rooftops that are otherwise inaccessible. Pick a stealth based aug, and you’ll sneak through areas easier, allowing you to pick your targets. Take a rebreather aug, and you can use the gas filled sewers to bypass a crowded alleyway. Choices, choices….

As mentioned earlier, the cut sequences often lead to conversations. You’ll get the opportunity to charm, bully or blag your way to the truth, or a quest or clue. There is one particular quest that requires a deal of memory on your part. You must make accusations based on what you learnt earlier during the quest, so if you weren’t paying attention…

Influence the right person, and you'll access a new quest or further your investigation. Upset him and you'll be looking for an alternative path. It's clever, and you do find yourself trying different approaches through different playthroughs to see just how much things change.

The one flaw…

Unfortunately, there had to be one, and it’s annoying. The end-of-stage bosses are incredibly hard. This would not normally be a bad thing, but in this case, some are SO hard that beating them comes down to (mainly) blind luck. Each of them can be killed in a number of ways, one of which is always quick- literally seconds. Trouble is, to pull it off, you need to either be a cyber enhanced human yourself, or you have to be Mr Lucky from Jamsville who just happens to get his finger stuck on the right key at precisely the pixellated second that big bad boss is doing something stupid. Even on the “I’m a complete dunce who mashes buttons with my gorilla knuckles until they bleed” difficulty setting, these guys are a challenge. It does spoil the flow of an otherwise beautiful game.

The scores…

Graphically, I’d put this at a 9.Stylish, polished and immersive, only the facial movements drop this a point.

Sound has to be 10. Never have I found a game where the positioning and depth of sound is anywhere close to this.

Storyline is a solid 10. If you love sci-fi, you’ll be hooked.

Gameplay would be a 10 if it wasn’t for the bosses. Damn them, I’d have to give it an 8…

Overall, 9.5… If you like roleplay and FPS, this is worth a play. Just beware the bosses…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.