GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Against the grain"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 31/01/12 at 18:27
Regular
That banker who could have taken his bonus from RBS...

...by not taking it hasn't he potentially cost the government, and therefore the public purse, a further 500,000 in income tax?
Fri 03/02/12 at 09:14
"Are you sure?"
Edgy wrote:
...when they receive them as a bonus they're charged normal income tax aren't they? Additional higher rate is 50% I believe...

I'm not sure they do! Or National Insurance! - there are many Government approved share 'option' and 'incentive' schemes where you don't pay upfront tax & NI.

Something called the 'Enterprise Management Incentive' would get round it for more normal bonuses it looks like - but I think your example is well above the EMI threshold (£120,000).

Like you say, I think you need to be a tax expert to really know as things are so complicated.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 02/02/12 at 20:41
Regular
That's when they sell the shares as a capital gain isn't it? when they receive them as a bonus they're charged normal income tax aren't they? Additional higher rate is 50% I believe...

Then again, as I'm not a millionaire banker who gets offered massive bonuses I wouldn't say I know mug about the subject :P
Thu 02/02/12 at 09:12
"Are you sure?"
Edgy wrote:

...by not taking it hasn't he potentially cost the government, and therefore the public purse, a further 500,000 in income tax?

It looks like people taking bonuses paid in shares only end up paying 18% Capital Gains Tax rather than the normal Income Tax rates! #LoopHole

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 02/02/12 at 07:40
Regular
"How Ironic"
I like the way that I can usually find pb staring out at me ;-D
Wed 01/02/12 at 22:51
Regular
For some reason I'm drawn to a particular widget on the right hand of the page reading your post there Tony :P
Wed 01/02/12 at 22:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
'Like' heavy stuff here ;¬)
Wed 01/02/12 at 19:06
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Some American came over with some "friends" and stole the word "Like" from the English dictionary. He is using it mainly to raise money on the US stock market.

But he also uses it in the phase "Would you like some friends?" which now means "Can I steal all the information from your computer so that I can show you the right adverts from our partners, good gullible UK buddy?"
Tue 31/01/12 at 19:22
Regular
Haha - what have I missed in the last however many months?
Tue 31/01/12 at 18:33
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Edgy wrote:

Why don't you ask him if he would have paid tax on it - he's on the forum here you know (see the Censorship thread) - well maybe he's gone now, but he was here.
Tue 31/01/12 at 18:27
Regular

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.