GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Shearer comeback???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/01/02 at 18:22
Regular
If you have heard all the specualtion in football recently, you'll have heard about the speculation linking Alan Shearer with an international comeback for England. It has been reported that he's been approached by people asking him to come out of retirement, but he has said that he's heard nothing from Sven-Goran Eriksson. Should 'Sir Alan' come back to play for his country??? Or is it all too late now??

Looking at England's first choice squad, on a regular basis, you'll see that the midfield and defence is pretty much sorted. But the attack never seems to be the same. Of course, Michael Owen is given a starting role, but he lacks a goal-scoring partner, and has done ever since Shearer quit the international scene.

Of course, there is Heskey, who has been making regular appearences, but he just hasn't been consistant enough! And his form is nothing like what we saw in his first full season at Liverpool. And Hekey has been critisised, as he cannot produce this form at the highest level, putting his England place into more doubt.

Robbie Fowler has also become a strong candidate for the no.9 spot, and he's shown brilliant form for Leeds this season. But he apparently doesn't get on too well with Owen, and therefore probably isn't the ideal partner.
Kevin Phillips is also rated very highly, but he's failed to prove his goal-scoring abillity at international level, just like Heskey. And because he's only scoring goals week-in week-out for a team of Sunderland's abillity, he doesn't quite get the recongnition he deserves.

Andy Cole is also in a similar position, but his place in the 2002 World Cup squad was in doubt, due to a lack of games at Old Trafford. He's since then joined Blackburn to find his form, and get into the 23-man squad. This may be his last World Cup chance, due to his age, but with just the 1 international goal, his chances look slim.

Aside from these four, there isn't really anyone else who could even be close to a suitable partner for Michael Owen. Alan Shearer was ideal, and lead the team well through thivk and thin. With quallities that Owen lacks (like heading and strength) he has proven that the 2 are still England's ONLY strike-partnership!!

I think he should come back, and it's not too late for him to make it to Japan and South Korea, as a player. With a manager like Sven, it can only go well. Even if it's just for this summer, he should return, as he's a player we'll DEFINITLEY need to succeed!!
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
If you have heard all the specualtion in football recently, you'll have heard about the speculation linking Alan Shearer with an international comeback for England. It has been reported that he's been approached by people asking him to come out of retirement, but he has said that he's heard nothing from Sven-Goran Eriksson. Should 'Sir Alan' come back to play for his country??? Or is it all too late now??

Looking at England's first choice squad, on a regular basis, you'll see that the midfield and defence is pretty much sorted. But the attack never seems to be the same. Of course, Michael Owen is given a starting role, but he lacks a goal-scoring partner, and has done ever since Shearer quit the international scene.

Of course, there is Heskey, who has been making regular appearences, but he just hasn't been consistant enough! And his form is nothing like what we saw in his first full season at Liverpool. And Hekey has been critisised, as he cannot produce this form at the highest level, putting his England place into more doubt.

Robbie Fowler has also become a strong candidate for the no.9 spot, and he's shown brilliant form for Leeds this season. But he apparently doesn't get on too well with Owen, and therefore probably isn't the ideal partner.
Kevin Phillips is also rated very highly, but he's failed to prove his goal-scoring abillity at international level, just like Heskey. And because he's only scoring goals week-in week-out for a team of Sunderland's abillity, he doesn't quite get the recongnition he deserves.

Andy Cole is also in a similar position, but his place in the 2002 World Cup squad was in doubt, due to a lack of games at Old Trafford. He's since then joined Blackburn to find his form, and get into the 23-man squad. This may be his last World Cup chance, due to his age, but with just the 1 international goal, his chances look slim.

Aside from these four, there isn't really anyone else who could even be close to a suitable partner for Michael Owen. Alan Shearer was ideal, and lead the team well through thivk and thin. With quallities that Owen lacks (like heading and strength) he has proven that the 2 are still England's ONLY strike-partnership!!

I think he should come back, and it's not too late for him to make it to Japan and South Korea, as a player. With a manager like Sven, it can only go well. Even if it's just for this summer, he should return, as he's a player we'll DEFINITLEY need to succeed!!
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:28
Regular
The reason Shearer doesnt want to play for England is becasue he says it will affect his performances for Newcastle. But the World cup will be at the end of the season, so it wont coinside with Newcastle games. Surely he come back just this one last time?

YOu could argue that it might be unfair on the other strikers, seeing as Shearer was not involved in getting England to the world cup...But Shearer has been a loyal servent to England over the years and deserves his place in the England side should he choose to come out of International retirement this one last time.
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:59
after seeing against peterborough. i don't think so. he was nowhere in that match and has lost all of his pace.
Thu 31/01/02 at 19:08
Regular
"Whatever!"
He has been in brilliant form lately but I doubt very much he will return to the England team!!
Fri 01/02/02 at 17:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
So....if Shearer won't come back then who should get the no.9 shirt??? I say Fowler at the moment, just as long as he and Owen are ok with each other. I also want to see if Andy Cole makes it to the World Cup squad. He's got pace, good footwork, and is a good finnisher, even if he hasn't proven it for England. He just needs a good run at Blackburn to re-build his confidence!

I also don't think that either Heskey, Phillips or Alan Smith have proven that they're right for the job.
Fri 01/02/02 at 18:39
I agree that Shearer will not put on an England shirt for a while, but one player you didn't mention is Sheringham!
He is a wicked player with experience at the highest level. He will beable to hold the ball up well for Owen, play through balls onto Owen's runs and will beable to link up with Beckham on the right to provide him with passes for his perfect crosses!
My player for the no.9 shirt is SHERINGHAM!!!!

Another player you haven't mentioned is Bellemy, I think he is partly English?
He has got the speed and touch like Owen and would beable to partner Owen anyday!
Fri 01/02/02 at 18:39
Regular
"Whatever!"
I agree Fowler should have the no. 9 shirt at the moment - Why the hell did we ever sell him??
Fri 01/02/02 at 18:43
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Lodge wrote:
"Another player you haven't mentioned is Bellemy, I think he is partly English? He has got the speed and touch like Owen and would beable to partner Owen anyday!"

Only problem is he's already been capped regularly by Wales! All too late, just like Ryan Giggs. He probably would have been quite good though.
Fri 01/02/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Sheringham is also a great possibiltiy too, and he's proven critics wrong about his age! I didn't mention him earlier because I was trying to keep my list to a limit. But he'd still be good though. But the question is, can he link up well with Owen???
Fri 01/02/02 at 18:58
Solskjær_24 wrote:
Only problem is he's already been capped regularly
> by Wales! All too late, just like Ryan Giggs. He probably would have been quite
> good though.

Sorry I didn't realise, i did state that I wasn't sure if he could play for England or not!
Cheers for clearing that one up!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.