GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone else with FTP upload problems to freeolaweb4?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 30/01/12 at 02:11
Regular
Been having intermittent FTP upload problems to freeolaweb4 today:

Normally, I upload through my web design software = no problem.

Try today around 16:30-18:00 ish, file won't upload properly (it does 'upload' but only at a fraction of it's actual size, so although 'there' on the server, does not load to any visitors, which is a particular pain as one of the affected files happened to be my main navigation bar).

Tried using a variety of ways to upload (internet explorer, filezilla etc) ALL with same result, so it's not a problem with my software.

From some time after 18:00 to midnight, everything starting working fine using ALL upload methods.

Tried again at 00:04, same problem with ALL upload methods.

So I do a test using ALL upload methods using a .jpg file not part of my website too - the 80,000 byte file 'uploads' but only at a size of 2,920 multiple times (and later 11.680 bytes but still won't display).

The same file uploads to freeolaweb5 absolutely fine - all 80,000 bytes - and did so on 4 during it's 'up' period earlier on....

I did phone tech support yesterday but because no-one else had reported it, it wasn't taken particularly seriously...just wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar?

[warning - if you're tempted to try to find out, use an unimportant little-used file just in case!]
Mon 30/01/12 at 02:11
Regular
Been having intermittent FTP upload problems to freeolaweb4 today:

Normally, I upload through my web design software = no problem.

Try today around 16:30-18:00 ish, file won't upload properly (it does 'upload' but only at a fraction of it's actual size, so although 'there' on the server, does not load to any visitors, which is a particular pain as one of the affected files happened to be my main navigation bar).

Tried using a variety of ways to upload (internet explorer, filezilla etc) ALL with same result, so it's not a problem with my software.

From some time after 18:00 to midnight, everything starting working fine using ALL upload methods.

Tried again at 00:04, same problem with ALL upload methods.

So I do a test using ALL upload methods using a .jpg file not part of my website too - the 80,000 byte file 'uploads' but only at a size of 2,920 multiple times (and later 11.680 bytes but still won't display).

The same file uploads to freeolaweb5 absolutely fine - all 80,000 bytes - and did so on 4 during it's 'up' period earlier on....

I did phone tech support yesterday but because no-one else had reported it, it wasn't taken particularly seriously...just wondered if anyone else was experiencing similar?

[warning - if you're tempted to try to find out, use an unimportant little-used file just in case!]
Mon 30/01/12 at 08:53
"Are you sure?"
Hi scchoir and welcome to the forums.

I noticed an FTP problem with web server 4 on Saturday.

Using Filezilla I noticed that my FTP connection was being interrupted and the failed transfers were being restarted not something I've seen before.

But as I was uploading large files and quite a number at the same time I put it down to me asking a bit much.

All failed transfers eventually made it.

I uploaded a dozen of so small image files to the same server on Sunday during the day without any problems.

If you see the problem again during the day I'll try testing things if I'm around :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 30/01/12 at 09:33
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
There were some technical issues with webserver4 this weekend, which has only been reported this morning.

This issue has now been resolved, and you should encounter no further problems.
Mon 30/01/12 at 09:44
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the update Warhunt.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 30/01/12 at 10:14
Regular
Thanks folks.

Glad to know it's not me going mad.

I thought I'd found a solution to the problem at about 3am - seemed to me that I had hit a 'limit' on my unlimited webspace in that if I deleted 100kb of randowm old file, I could upload a further 100kb of new (or at least the part upload would go another 100kb beofre hitting the wall) with no problems.....

This did fit with my earlier connectivity between problems as I did remove a few old files prior to being able to upload normally the first time.

Anyway, now the problem is known, looking forward to the fix and in the meantime will know to try the above if it happens again....

Could have done without a 30-second job at 16:00 taking until 3am to sort out though (with much stressing in the meantime with my site being completely unusable for a period and a not-too fruitful call to support).
Mon 30/01/12 at 15:40
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
The issue was not recognised at the time of your call so I can only imagine you were asked what error message you were receiving as standard.

With FTP we generally find it very difficult to diagnose local issues, and hence suggest customers use similar software to ourselves to report a clear error code (which we can relate to easily - when it doesn't just fix the issue that is (a lot)).

EDIT: Oh and incidentally this issue was resolved moments after we recognised it this morning. If you are still having issues, best get on to our our support team once more.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.