GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"cut scene angst...."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/01/02 at 10:12
Regular
The most annoying trend in the last couple of years has been the addition of long/sprawling cut scenes to otherwise fine games. I understand that developers may use the excuse that these cut scenes are there to help drive the plot or perhaps to add rhythm to the game but in reality I sometimes feel that these scenes are more like 'fillers'. They seem to be a way of cutting corners on the length of the actual 'playable' section of the game and could just be seen as a way of showing off for the developers. The most extreme example I found was the tedious Driver2 on the PS1. The cut scenes seemed to be gratuitous when compared to the ropey ingame graphics. My hope is that with the added power of the PS2, these filmic set pieces may actually run 'in game' and not just be an excuse for a fag or tea break. After all, if I've chosen to 'play' a game, I don't want to find myself 'watching' a movie!! What do you guys think? BAN THE CUT SCREEN!!!
Fri 01/02/02 at 14:56
Regular
"360: swfcman"
MGS did that a lot, nearly all the cut scenes had small clues or guide lines of what to do next in the game, along with keeping the plot moving.

Another game that springs to mind that did this is Silent Hill 2 amongst many others.
Fri 01/02/02 at 13:24
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Are there any games where cut scenes contain vital clues or guidelines that do actually affect the plot of the game?
I think this kind of integration might work better....where you could somehow benefit from watching the cut scene....this would surely enhance the flow of the game plot..
Thu 31/01/02 at 20:32
Regular
"That's right!"
Cutscenes are great, they add plot and story to a game

However, they are not always nessecary, just look at Half Life. The entire game played through Gordon's eyes, you didn't even speak to anyone, but you found out the plot etc from cleverly placed events in the game itself
Thu 31/01/02 at 19:03
What are you guys on about cut-scenes are wicked they get you right into th game and i believe that some games should have more of them, i mean come on we are past the megadrive era and we are onto groundbreaking stuff that puts the way we game into a new dimension lets think before we type next time !
Thu 31/01/02 at 15:40
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
You know, one of the chief reasons for MGS2's underparr reviews are the length of the cutscenes...

Sonic
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:34
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
Thats fine but I thinks that smaller plot cues could be more effective specially if they were somehow integrated more into the actual play. MGS wasn't too bad, but the codec sequences were a bit annoying. I doubt anyone actually sat through them all without clicking to get to the end!! I don't mind the 'post boss/aftermath' type scene as it gives you a breather but Driver2 had 2-3 minute scenes after 1-2 minute missions! Plus I'd like to know how much of the plot of this or MGS, people actually remember....or care about...
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:18
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Well i agree with you partly there, some games do use them as fillers so that they can cut corners ect. But this only lies in the small number of very poor games. While driver 2 had lots of cut scenes in, it also had lots more gameplay to do so you got a fair share there, and the scenes did help the plot on. As for the graphics of that game, it was on PS1 you know, and was a hell of a big game.

Some games just need cut scenes to help the game on, recently games have become more like films with a good balance of actual play and cut scenes to watch. Without them you would just be fed streams of text to get to know the plot like much of the Final Fantasy games. Either that or go back to the old style games on the lesser consoles and just have no plot and just a game to play. I know which i would rather have.

Games need cut scenes to move the game forward, its up to you to choose the right game that has a good balance.
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Cut scenes are ok. In games like MGS2 then you want to watch them so you can develop the story.
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:12
Regular
"bitterly jaded ;]"
The most annoying trend in the last couple of years has been the addition of long/sprawling cut scenes to otherwise fine games. I understand that developers may use the excuse that these cut scenes are there to help drive the plot or perhaps to add rhythm to the game but in reality I sometimes feel that these scenes are more like 'fillers'. They seem to be a way of cutting corners on the length of the actual 'playable' section of the game and could just be seen as a way of showing off for the developers. The most extreme example I found was the tedious Driver2 on the PS1. The cut scenes seemed to be gratuitous when compared to the ropey ingame graphics. My hope is that with the added power of the PS2, these filmic set pieces may actually run 'in game' and not just be an excuse for a fag or tea break. After all, if I've chosen to 'play' a game, I don't want to find myself 'watching' a movie!! What do you guys think? BAN THE CUT SCREEN!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.