GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Networking?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 31/01/02 at 08:38
Regular
A quick question - we want to network our two computers, but can you connect it Serial Port to Serial Port, or printer to printer? Considering I know NOTHING about networking, is there anything I should know?

Cheers,
Shaun
Fri 01/02/02 at 09:49
Regular
Telephone wire is RJ11 wire and Cat 5 is RJ45 don't get them mixed up as they may look the same but are pretty differant.

Special reserve do netwroking kits for around £45, it is relatively easy to do, and if you are worried about fitting the card it is really easy or get SR to do it?

c.b.
Fri 01/02/02 at 08:58
Regular
A parallel port is a printer port, don't worry about that......

Direct cable-cable really does suck, you'd be much better with two 10 Base-T network cards and a cross-over UTP cable (looks like a big modem connector ;)), that way you have a proper ethernet.

As far as networking goes, you need to give each computer a unique name in the network properties box AND make sure that the WORKGROUP is the same..........
Fri 01/02/02 at 08:21
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Where do you connect it on Parallel to Parallel? I just want to make sure that I don't mess anything up, like blowing up my computer :D Can you connect it through the printer port. Cheers.
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:57
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I had serial2serial once, untill I went parallel2parallel. Either way, you use DCC, and either way it *is* quicker to upload and download. Use 2 NICs instead.
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:53
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I have 4 computers networked in my house at the moment. You will need each PC to have a network card of some kind. Consider getting a hub as you can network more computers at a later stage. Windows has a home networking wizard which should take you through all the steps you need to go through to set it up corectly.
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:50
Regular
i've not heard of useing serial to serial but you can use parallel to parallel useing direct cable connection but this is slow, you would be better off getting 2 nics (network interface cards) and a cat5 crossover cable or if you have usb then get a usb network kit this lot is fast enough and for the price of parallel cables these days it would't cost very much more.

and you can share printers easily, also can share internet connections.

c.b.
Thu 31/01/02 at 08:38
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
A quick question - we want to network our two computers, but can you connect it Serial Port to Serial Port, or printer to printer? Considering I know NOTHING about networking, is there anything I should know?

Cheers,
Shaun

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.