GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Afterbuner light for the GBA"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Afterburner'.
Mon 06/01/03 at 08:46
Regular
Im serisoly considering haveing my GBA opened up and fitted with the afterburner internal light. As i really cant find a decent clip on light. The last one i purchased was the Joytech illuminator but that east batties visously and the there is a tad of screen glare along the top.

So to get to the point i was just woundering if anybody has had one of these afterburners fitted? If so is it as good as they say? and whats the best place to purchace this item and have it fitted?

I would much apprecatite any incite that could be offered.
Sun 12/01/03 at 15:53
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Heh, how funny. As soon as i write this, a few days later the GBA SP is announced.

I could have saved myslef a hell of a lot of trouble there...
Sun 12/01/03 at 15:12
Regular
Alternatively, you could wait until March 28th, trade in your GBA and pick up a GBA Special Project with a backlit screen, recharable batteries and more. The business.
Mon 06/01/03 at 17:13
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Portable gamer (Now Xyramax) are very good. I've had no problems with ordering my kit/replacement screens from them at all. On the AB side of things, you'd never go back to normal GBA's after playing once.

Positive factors:

- No washout of colours
- No extra weight to GBA
- Cannot be seen from the outside
- Play in the dark :D
- Battery consumption is low
- Cheap

Negative factors:

- As always, opening cases will allow some dust inside, so over time, you may get a bit on the screen, but this is easily removed with "air in a can"
- Hard to fit if you are inexperienced with electronics, or if you have shaky hands.

There are more, but I can't tink of any at the moment.

Anyway, I know of four people from these very forums (Me, Indian dude, Time_warp, Ashman) who have fitted the AB, and we are all etrememly pleased. If you do have anymore questions, go to the official Triton labs forums *See below* (Adam's company- the guy who created the AB) where there are amny topics higlihgting issues people have had, and how to solve them.

Hope it helps

Microchips

http://www.tritonlabs.com (space) /cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:23
Chears Indian-DudeY2k1 you've pretty much sold me, i hope you recive your comisson soon. :)
Mon 06/01/03 at 10:34
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
yeh, changed my password to msn, so he/she couldn't get into it, and now i cant remember what i changed it to :'( so i gotta get a new account.
Mon 06/01/03 at 10:18
Regular
Hrmm...The Hacker got to you to :S
Mon 06/01/03 at 09:26
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
Some gay gimp changed my name to bumboy, tw@t !!

im indian-dudey2k1 and i posted that below.

On portable gamer, they are doing the light and installation for £44.99.
It sounds alot, but it is worth it. Alternatively you could try doing it yourself, which isn't very hard, just takes a bit of patience with the brightness dial, which is optional, and i think it makes the light a bit faulty, as mine flickers in and out because my fingers keep touching it, but putting the main light in is very simple, and you should be able to do it yourself - the instructions are very easy to follow.
Mon 06/01/03 at 09:21
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
I had mine done a good 6 months ago, around the time that they first came out. I received the kit, got the tri-head screwdriver, all the neccesary equipment etc. I opened up my GBA had a couple hours of fiddling and cutting, bit of soldering, stick the screen on, covers, make the light fit, put the dial on (which i messed up a bit, but its alright) put some batteries in , make sure it all works before you put it back together - mine did so i put it all back together, and hey presto and backlit GBA.

And you get the good feeling that you did it yourself.

Now, is it any good ? Its the best light available for any hand held console ever ! The light doesn't wash out the colours like others have said, it doesn't use up much more battery power than normal, and the added extra enjoyment you will get from your GBA because you can see the screen, will make that little bit extra consumption all worth while. If you have a see-through gameboy , like the purple ones then it makes the whole thing glow which is pretty cool.

Overrall you cant go wrong with it, for £30-£35 (depending on where you get one) it will give you years of enjoyment and easy viewing. If you dont want to do it yourself, get a company to do it , like http://www.portablegamer.co.uk/

who are in the UK, and offer a value for money service (im sounding like a salesman now).

Just buy it. And if you have anymore dougbts, ask Microchips, me and him got one around the same time.

Good luck
Mon 06/01/03 at 08:46
Im serisoly considering haveing my GBA opened up and fitted with the afterburner internal light. As i really cant find a decent clip on light. The last one i purchased was the Joytech illuminator but that east batties visously and the there is a tad of screen glare along the top.

So to get to the point i was just woundering if anybody has had one of these afterburners fitted? If so is it as good as they say? and whats the best place to purchace this item and have it fitted?

I would much apprecatite any incite that could be offered.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.