GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a surprise, the Daily Mail blame games for the Birmingham gun murders"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 12:12
Regular
Whilst flicking through the turgid pages of the ever-funny newspaper, we have this snide section taken from the Birmingham gun murder section:

“The long war between the Burger Bar Boys and the Johnson Crew has its origins in a childish dispute between two friends.
Two black youths argued in the early 1990’s about who had won a violent computer game – Streetfighter, which features fights between muscular characters.
When words failed to settle the argument, the violence spilled over into real life.”

So is this, shock horror, the Daily Mail blaming games for turning these people into gun-crazed gangs? Yep.

Reminds me of my ‘You’ve Been Blamed’ topic.
http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/ display_messages.php?threadid=59537&forumid=185
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:12
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Whilst flicking through the turgid pages of the ever-funny newspaper, we have this snide section taken from the Birmingham gun murder section:

“The long war between the Burger Bar Boys and the Johnson Crew has its origins in a childish dispute between two friends.
Two black youths argued in the early 1990’s about who had won a violent computer game – Streetfighter, which features fights between muscular characters.
When words failed to settle the argument, the violence spilled over into real life.”

So is this, shock horror, the Daily Mail blaming games for turning these people into gun-crazed gangs? Yep.

Reminds me of my ‘You’ve Been Blamed’ topic.
http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/ display_messages.php?threadid=59537&forumid=185
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:26
Regular
"Remember me?"
If game characters could fight back, the Newspapers would shut up.

Fo' sho'!!!
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I wonder if the Daily Mail knows how stupid that sounds. Two gangs where created because two people argued over who won a game of streetfighter! So they weren't influenced by what was actually in the game, but by an argument that ensued afterwards.
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:32
Am I missing something?

How can you not be 100% sure who won a game of Streetfighter? Besides one person being flung to the ground like wet jeans, the game actually shouts out "YOU WIN" while the winning character fists the air and makes some hard-man pose.

These gangs clearly started because the people involved were thicker Auntie Maggie's cream custard.
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:43
Well, the fact of the matter is....
People will blame videogames for children getting increasingly violent
But, kids watch all sorts of comedies, i don't see kids getting any funnier, do you?
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:44
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Don't bother reading the mail. Read the Sport. The stories are closer to the truth and it also has topless ladies.
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
"Something about muscular characters"

Erm. Bit of a generalisation there. Have you seen Dhalsim?
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:07
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah, and what about Honda. He wasn't muscular, just fat.
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Are you lot on about the ninja turtles or something?

What the hell are you on about???
Mon 06/01/03 at 14:00
Regular
Muscular characters LOL

The Daily Mail is so gay.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.