GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What a surprise, the Daily Mail blame games for the Birmingham gun murders"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 12:12
Regular
Whilst flicking through the turgid pages of the ever-funny newspaper, we have this snide section taken from the Birmingham gun murder section:

“The long war between the Burger Bar Boys and the Johnson Crew has its origins in a childish dispute between two friends.
Two black youths argued in the early 1990’s about who had won a violent computer game – Streetfighter, which features fights between muscular characters.
When words failed to settle the argument, the violence spilled over into real life.”

So is this, shock horror, the Daily Mail blaming games for turning these people into gun-crazed gangs? Yep.

Reminds me of my ‘You’ve Been Blamed’ topic.
http://ukchatforums.reserve.co.uk/ display_messages.php?threadid=59537&forumid=185
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:24
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I, according to Daily Mail, should paint my room completely black, then project colourful shapes, lines and pictures of viruses up. Then shoot e'm down.

Because Rez has 'influenced' me.

Then I'll take it to the streets and make everyone else do it.

Then I'll KILL KILL KILLLLLL because I imagine everyone is a virus.

*gets out spray paint*

;)
Mon 06/01/03 at 18:13
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Fortunately, despite the monster that I have so obviously become after
> 23 years of playing videogames (must be true, the papers say so) I
> somehow managed to resist the urge, and went to buy a coffee
> instead.

I wish I had such a huge resistance, I've left lots of squids, turtles/tortoises and plants dieing from too much Mario. Damn you NINTENDO!!!!!
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:26
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I got annoyed when my CD-ROM on my PC refused to run one of my games, so following Daily Mails logic, I should within the week have organised a fully armed militia force which I'll then use to take over the country.

And all this because of an incident related, though not directly related to games.
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:26
"High polygon count"
Well, I was in Northampton Town Centre today (sounds grand, but isn't!) and I walked past a BT van with an engineer loading stuff into the back.

Thanks to The Getaway, I had an overwhelming urge to hit him over the head with his ladder, nick his van, and go and break someone out of the local police station.

Fortunately, despite the monster that I have so obviously become after 23 years of playing videogames (must be true, the papers say so) I somehow managed to resist the urge, and went to buy a coffee instead.

That BT engineer will never know how lucky he is to be going home to his family tonight.
Mon 06/01/03 at 15:02
"+ suspicious minds"
video games are the new drugs. more expensive, less adictive, but 100% sure to turn you into a crazy murderur. the tabloids seem to make money out of agreeing with whatever bigotism there is at the time.
Mon 06/01/03 at 14:15
Regular
"we escape....."
look back to the 1920's when u find teenage gangsters such as baby face nelson, how did video games cause him to be violent! still at least tabloids maintain their hilarious stupidity levels to a good standard
Mon 06/01/03 at 14:00
Regular
Muscular characters LOL

The Daily Mail is so gay.
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:10
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Are you lot on about the ninja turtles or something?

What the hell are you on about???
Mon 06/01/03 at 13:07
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yeah, and what about Honda. He wasn't muscular, just fat.
Mon 06/01/03 at 12:45
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
"Something about muscular characters"

Erm. Bit of a generalisation there. Have you seen Dhalsim?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.