GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"'lo techy people. Lend me your brains a sec...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/02 at 20:16
Regular
Okies. This is to do with the 'possibly fried' ISA modem topic in FOG chat.

Okay TBN, I have SiSoft sandra, and from what I can tell I do indeed have an ISA slot.

Here's the details from the expansion slots section:
ISA - ISA 16-bit 5V FullLength
PCI (13h) - PCI 32-bit 5V FullLength Available
PCI (11h) - PCI 32-bit 5V FullLength Available
PCI (Fh) - PCI 32-bit 5V FullLength Available
PCI (Dh) - PCI 32-bit 5V FullLength InUse (by my network card)
PCI (8h) - PCI 32-bit 5V FullLength Available
AGP (8h) - ISA 32-bit 5V FullLength InUse (by my graphics card)

So.... why doesn't it appear to tell me if the ISA is in use?
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, I know what it is, I was just wondering how it acheives a bigger bus. So, half half then. Not bad though.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:26
Afaik it's a significantly wider (thus more pins, more data per push) and faster (in terms of MHz -- but I'm not entirely sure) bus.

However, Google is your friend, and I'll quote from someone who assumedly knows a lot more than me.

http://www.sysopt.com/agp.html

What is AGP?

Designed for Pentium II based motherboards, AGP will, among many other benefits, deliver a peak bandwidth that is 4 times higher than the PCI bus using pipelining, sideband addressing, and more data transfers per clock. It will also enables graphics cards to execute texture maps directly from system memory instead of forcing it to pre-load the texture data to the graphics card's local memory. AGP is based on the PCI 2.1 standard which calls for a 66MHz PCI bus speed.
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:22
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Is the AGP bus technologically better than the PCI or just physically bigger?
Thu 31/01/02 at 23:20
To sum up this topic, because it's probably quite confusing :)

ISA:

Black.
Longest connector.
Usually nearest ground level on tower cases.
On newer motherboards there are usually either only one of them or none at all.

PCI:

White.
About 3/4 length of ISA with thinner copper connectors on the cards themselves than ISA.
Usually between 3 and 5 of them on newer motherboard -- between the AGP slot (of which there can only ever be one) nearest the power supply and the ISA slot at the bottom.

AGP:

Brown.
Approximately as wide as ISA.
Generally nearest the top of the motherboard, assuming the ISA slot is at the bottom.
Actual copper contacts on the boards are much thinner than PCI and look a bit like two layers of a brick wall, if that means anything to you..

Hope that helped, heh.
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
From memory I think my ISA is black too.
Thu 31/01/02 at 16:23
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Indeed, heh, my apologies.
Thu 31/01/02 at 11:30
Regular
AGP (accelerated Graphics Port) slot is a brown slot usually at the top of of all the slots, PCI slots are the WHITE one's, ISA slots are the Black one's at the bottom, if you have a black slot with a brown extension this is a VESA (for older computers) if it is a small brown slot this is AMR.

so the ISA slot's are the black one's at the bottom.

c.b.
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:23
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Doesn't have to be - AGP and AMR slots could be free, but ISA slots are always the long ones, and always seem to be white. Andi, Rob's right, they are generally put at the bottom of the mobo.
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I'm not saying it's the lowest one. That was the Doc's idea. I was just commenting mine's the lowest too.

*Takes a screenshot of Andi admitting he was wrong*
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:05
Regular
"How Handy."
Rob what are you talking about, PCI and ISA slots can but put in any order whatsoever. My motherboard doesnt even have ISA, thats how outdated it is..

As for the post about the only free unique one not with a graphics card in it, maybe it was me but, that made no sense whatsoever.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.