GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Processed"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/01/12 at 13:54
"possibly impossible"
While eating dinner yesterday, my youngest was asking where each of the pieces of meat came from.

It got me thinking that we don't really see the whole process of food being caught, killed and then processed for general consumption any more.

My kids are lucky as in Spain we tend to go up to visit relatives in the hills who still skin rabbits and keep animals for food, so they are fully aware that they are eating animals that have, at some point, been alive. While you could say most people have this knowledge of what they are eating, I don't think it really becomes apparent until you've actually physically followed it through.

I think this lack of understanding with some children turns in to fear later on, I can understand why some would decide to become vegetarians.

So what is your own experience with food? Are you comfortable with knowing where the food you eat comes from, do you not even think about it when picking up chicken breast at the supermarket or perhaps you don't agree with eating animals at all.

Do you think that all children should be made aware of what their eating (a school trip to an abattoir may raise a few eyebrows!).
Mon 23/01/12 at 19:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
chasfh wrote:
Back when I was a lot younger .... It did put me off of chicken soup ....

Back when I was 3, my system decided that 'meat' wasn't good and made me violently ill (much to the upset it caused my mother, God rest her soul!)

So, I became a 'vegetarian' ... the only choice at the time! (Bad childhood ... believe me)

As life progressed, I left home at 17 and 'lived' with friends etc. We shared tasks and cooking was one of them. Cooking and preparing raw meat was never a problem to me ... I just couldn't eat it ... waste of time, so to speak :¬)

Move on, a few thousand years, and I now eat selective meats in small amounts, about once a month! My health hasn't suffered at all and is indicitive that you don't need 'meat' in your diet as long as it is 'replaced' with an equivalent.

I will stress that I am not a vegetarian by choice!

My family understand and a typical family meal will have meat etc but I don't fuss and just have the rest:¬)

Now I can eat 'dry mince', tuna, cod and salmon ... that is it :¬)

Chicken I cannot eat by choice, this time!!! About 30 years ago, I watched a documentary about 'factory farming' ... chickens. Male chicks are separated from female chicks and killed...useless for the market ... picture a conveyor belt filled with fluffy yellow chicks and only the female chicks survive because they are better for the table! My choice there :¬)
Mon 23/01/12 at 19:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dragonlance wrote:
What's that got to do with the thread pete? Unless you mean 'processed' as 'arrested' :¬)

Oh the guy hadn't been drinking DL, apparently he had developed mad cow disease from eating too many processed burgers. Turned him as mad as box of frogs by all accounts...
Mon 23/01/12 at 18:48
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Back when I was a lot younger, my Grandad used to kill and pluck chickens and other birds for a couple of farms and local restaurants. He'd do it all by hand, the "good old fashioned way", and on occasion, I used to help.

I didn't enjoy it, but I did do it, not because I was told to, but because I felt the need to appreciate what it took to put the food on the table.

It didn't put me off of meat in the slightest.

It did put me off of chicken soup, strangely... something about the smell...
Mon 23/01/12 at 18:39
Regular
"How Ironic"
When I eat meat, I don't see a cow, I see beef >:D *nomnomnom*
Mon 23/01/12 at 18:00
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
What's that got to do with the thread pete? Unless you mean 'processed' as 'arrested' :¬)
Mon 23/01/12 at 17:42
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
I believe I recall that episode. Although to be fair it could also be any episode of 'x' tv show...
Mon 23/01/12 at 17:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
Speaking of binge drinking/kebab munching chavs anyone intending to watch Party Paramedics on CH4 tonight? I wonder how it will depict the lovely people of Essex? My local town Wrexham has been featured on Booze Britain, Night Cops and some other piece of Bravo Channel crap (the name of which I can't recall right now) and none of these portrayed us all that favorably TBH. The thing that wound me up a little bit was that all three programmes were largely filmed on the same bloody street! (which anyone around here knows is a total no go area unless you are an ''are you looking at my pint?'' type of guy). The Night Cops one was quite interesting though as my mate Phil was on it. If anyone saw this episode he was not the one swaying down the middle of the street brandishing his urinating tool whilst singing very badly, he was one of the guys who arrested him.
Mon 23/01/12 at 15:03
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
We were talking about this in the office the other day oddly.

Pretty much all agreed that all of us love steak too much to give up meat. Pretty much solely steak.

We then discussed that show (BBC or 4?) "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it" where they take a bunch of (often) younger generation meat eaters, throw a hipster vegan and a binge drinking/kebab munching chav in for good measure, and force them to face the facts.

Obviously the vegan is there because.......... but nevermind that.

I came to my own conclusion that I appreciate I need to eat meat, but don't think I could farm an animal solely for butchering it. It tends to be the most common take to be honest.

I would be fully prepared to go out and hunt the animal then eat it, but dragging a lamb in to a room, lining it up and then stunning it before .... well you know the next 'draining' bit, and this is a family forums so... It just seems a little unfair.

Does that make me hypocritical? Maybe, but it makes me a realist too.

My brother on the other hand. He would be happy, and has been in the past, to kill it, cook it and then eat it. Infact he would probably forego the first step if he could 0_o (And possibly the second if it was red)
Mon 23/01/12 at 14:33
Regular
I view food as fuel. These animals need to die in order for me to get stronger. You can talk about vegetarian diets being full of protein all you like but I could link studies which show meat to have a better range of amino acids. I don't take it lightly though, every animal death is a gift. If I had to kill them myself in order to eat meat, I would
Mon 23/01/12 at 13:54
"possibly impossible"
While eating dinner yesterday, my youngest was asking where each of the pieces of meat came from.

It got me thinking that we don't really see the whole process of food being caught, killed and then processed for general consumption any more.

My kids are lucky as in Spain we tend to go up to visit relatives in the hills who still skin rabbits and keep animals for food, so they are fully aware that they are eating animals that have, at some point, been alive. While you could say most people have this knowledge of what they are eating, I don't think it really becomes apparent until you've actually physically followed it through.

I think this lack of understanding with some children turns in to fear later on, I can understand why some would decide to become vegetarians.

So what is your own experience with food? Are you comfortable with knowing where the food you eat comes from, do you not even think about it when picking up chicken breast at the supermarket or perhaps you don't agree with eating animals at all.

Do you think that all children should be made aware of what their eating (a school trip to an abattoir may raise a few eyebrows!).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.