GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Games - No more price reductions (apart from SR)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/01/03 at 19:08
Regular
On the build up the christmas retialers decided to take their gloves of, slap a cometitor around the face and challange their rivals to a price duel for PS2 games.

The first to strike was Argos, by reducing the price of all their PS2 games to £29.99 or less...YES (don't confuse with small blond girl in less than sexy green MC Hammer pants)...you could drive away (stop it) with a PS2 game for under 30 quid. In a bid not to to loose business other retialers started to also lower their prices with Dixons, Currys, PC World etc following suit.

However since christmas prices have gone back up across the board. So the big question is why do retailers allow you to save £15.00 on a game worth £44.99 (check special reserve first as they're always cheaper if your about to pay that...unless your Kermit or another on of the muppets then go ahead) before christmas but not after. Do they not like fisty cuffs after christmas with a little price war? Well the answer is YES (and you'll take my 1984 A reg rusty skip in part ex...STOP IT) they do but they all rise their prices at the same time so that theres a small difference in price but no-one will drop their prices to £29.99 perminantely through fear of loosing too much profit, and when gamers want a certain game they'll pay whatever it costs for it so they're always on a winner.

As for brain surgery...you don't need a qualification in it to know that special reserve offers the lowest prices on games...but with other retailers selling games AT the RRP it's not even worth shopping about anymore...RIP other retailers...you've had your chance.
Tue 07/01/03 at 14:30
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Flux, where are memory cards £17.99 ?
Tue 07/01/03 at 14:04
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Marshie wrote:
> special reserve offers the lowest prices on games...but with
> other retailers selling games AT the RRP it's not even worth shopping
> about anymore...RIP other retailers...you've had your chance.

SSX Tricky: SR price £29.99
SSX Tricky: FM on a shopping spree in the sales yesterday price £19.99

It's always worth shopping about. Especially in the major chain stores who always make the odd mistake now and again, and price a full RRP game at bargain bucket price by accident. The latest one was Tesco who managed to put James Bond 007 Nightfire on the shelf at £9.99, only for 1 day though :(
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:45
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Flux wrote:
> What I find laughable is that there were some idiots out there who
> willing paid £64.99 for an N64 game...

I know...whats worse is i once paid £44.99 for Ballz on the Megadrive...what a wast of cash that was...althought the title was appropriate!!
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:44
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Not only is it a laugh that the price is rediculously high, it's the fact that the games cost around £1.50 to make and around £1 to send to the shops. So that's £2.50 that the shops pay, and £35 that we pay. I rest my case...
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:43
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
Good point Mellons...Bill Gates will probably has some input on the cost of games and if ny company can afford to drop it's prices the it can. It was a bit of a suprise that PS2 games didn't drop in price when the Gamecube/X-Box was released to show who has the more affordable games which would have helped bring in more gamers. And surely now the cost of CD's that games are written onto are cheaper and with games that are going to be BIG hits that millions of copies are going to be sold of...shouldn't these be cheaper from Sony producing more labels/inserts etc for that game?

Still i'm off to buy a rocking horse...hours of fun (same size as an X-Box - and same cost as a game).
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:37
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
What I find laughable is that there were some idiots out there who willing paid £64.99 for an N64 game...
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:36
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Ah, you know your shops, well done :)

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree. If they can do it at Christmas time, they can do it all-year-round. Personally, I find paying £44.99 for a game totally outrageous, and the most I'll ever pay is £29.99, as I believe that to be a reasonable price, hence why I snapped up as many bargains as I could from Argos :0)

:D
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:34
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Yeah, games may not have dropped alot, but they will in a while. It's happened on all consoles. When the console is a few years old, the prices of the games start to lower when they think the console may fade away. I am suprised that PS2 games aren't £30 already, i mean the PS2 has been around for a while now. If i'm honest, i think Microsoft will eventually see that the price of games is too high, and that they will be the first to give a little but get alot.
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:33
Regular
"Big Pimpin'"
I know Play.com sell some games for £17.99 that SR sell for £24.99 but overall you can't deny SR sell new releases at FAR lower prices than other retailers.

I'll tell it like it is, brown nosing or not, can shops on the High Street offer games for approx. £33.99 on the PS2 when they first come out? Nope thought not, all I'm saying is why can't we buy PS2 games at £29.99 all year round and not just at Xmas whether it be from SR or anywhere else!
Mon 06/01/03 at 19:24
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Hmm....SR aren't the cheapest shop around....sorry SR but your not.

Try checking a few other sites out first.....still think yourself lucky that you don't live in Ireland, whilst over there I did a bit of shopping and had a quick gander in Game (yeah I know) and most of thier PS2 games were selling for C64.99 (sorry can't find a Euro sign :p) which converts to £42.32 at todays current exchange rate!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.