GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Creative corner: Graphics"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 30/01/02 at 16:01
Regular
I thought it's be nice to have gamers say what they would do to revitalise the games industry. So, here it is! Creative corner- a place for gamers to say what they'd do if they were in the shoes of Miyamoto and the like...

Then, when I'm a great developer, I can rip off your ideas, and make a fortune! ;)

Anyway, the first topic I'd like to discuss is graphics: or, more appropriately, graphical styles.

No doubt you've all seen Jet Set Radio, a can see how the graphic's graffiti-like look fits in with the game perfectly. I have a suggestion for a graphical style for phantasy RPGs, that I originally though of for the new Zelda.

Basically, the style would be based on impressionistic art- Monet's waterlilies and the like. In the game, the sky would be a swirling mass of colours continually merging and moving. Lakes in the game would be very much like Monet's waterlilies- except moving, with the colours constantly changing, and merging together.

Enemies would be followed by grey "clouds" that would radiate around their bodies to give them an evil look, while goodies would have a pure white flame around theirs.

What do you think?

Oh, and I'd love to hear other peoples' ideas.

Sonic
Thu 31/01/02 at 18:34
"possibly impossible"
Either way, I think we have a winning idea there Sonic! Quick, find someone to program it...
Thu 31/01/02 at 10:08
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Almost unbelievably, pb, I came up with a very, very similar idea for this last night... but the other way around

The game would start in the impressionistic watercolour state, making everything merge and swirl together. As you progressed, the graphics would become clearer so that you could see things more like how they would be in real life. The game could then become more and more cell-shaded towards the end... a complete cyclic evolution.

The very nature of the game could even be based on this idea- very much like Pleasantville (film) begins in black and white, and sees people become technicolour one by one.

Sonic
Wed 30/01/02 at 21:25
"possibly impossible"
Nice idea sonic, a good spin on the ol' graphics topics,

hm. How about a cubist style of graphics. Not so much polygon as cubithon. If used in the right way it would be a good advert for the gamecube, although what style of game could go with it, I don't know.

I thought Rez, although nice, could have been more groundbreaking. It could have used the music to more effect, letting you try to sense where the enemies were coming from and try to shoot them using limited wireframe graphics. As you succeeded, the graphics would begin to morph in to more detailed polygons. These would then morph in to watercolour styles and in the end you would feel like you were moving through an oil painting. The music would have changed from simple dance music in the beginning, giving the game an industrial feel at first, to more mellow trance music, but with the same underlying beat. The music would evolve with the graphics, through to rock music once the polygons reached a certain detail and then into a booming classical track as the oil painting seeped through.
Wed 30/01/02 at 21:11
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Lol... nice pun.

I did hear about the Rez graphics being based on those of a rather unknown artist... I didn't know his name up to now though! Thanks for that!

Sonic
Wed 30/01/02 at 16:22
Regular
The Monet-style graphics sounds really good - "impressive" .... pardon the pun.
I quite liked the crayon-style graphics of Yoshi's Story I think it was on the N64 - but I didn't think much of the game.
Did you know that when you finish Rez there is a dedication to the abstract artist Kandinsky?
I like games that use original graphical styles - it's what initially attracts me to a game.
Wed 30/01/02 at 16:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
I thought it's be nice to have gamers say what they would do to revitalise the games industry. So, here it is! Creative corner- a place for gamers to say what they'd do if they were in the shoes of Miyamoto and the like...

Then, when I'm a great developer, I can rip off your ideas, and make a fortune! ;)

Anyway, the first topic I'd like to discuss is graphics: or, more appropriately, graphical styles.

No doubt you've all seen Jet Set Radio, a can see how the graphic's graffiti-like look fits in with the game perfectly. I have a suggestion for a graphical style for phantasy RPGs, that I originally though of for the new Zelda.

Basically, the style would be based on impressionistic art- Monet's waterlilies and the like. In the game, the sky would be a swirling mass of colours continually merging and moving. Lakes in the game would be very much like Monet's waterlilies- except moving, with the colours constantly changing, and merging together.

Enemies would be followed by grey "clouds" that would radiate around their bodies to give them an evil look, while goodies would have a pure white flame around theirs.

What do you think?

Oh, and I'd love to hear other peoples' ideas.

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.